Start DCS.exe via CMD batch

Quax456

Hello everybody out there.

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to start DCS.exe as Multiplayer via a batch. The reason: via batch you can define on which cores the sim will run.

I know thereare tools like Easytoolz but they doesn't recognize dcs.

Maybe someone can help me or give a hind

Best Regards

*EDIT*

Have it but it doesnt change the affinity as I wont it to be

cd \

cd c:\program files\eagle dynamics\dcs world\bin

start /affinity 0x3 DCS.exe --net-mode gui

Edited by Quax456

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2

As far as I know, this game is only designed at the moment to run on a single core. Forcing it to run on multiple cores wont work.

Two cores - sound engine sits in it's own thread.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 will move threads to whichever core has the most resources available at any given time. Affinity as standard is for all cores.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

wait wait, there is a difference between multicore usage and multithreading.

DCS by nature uses only two threads so far. Any multicoresystem assignes the affinity of all threats to all cores by default. That happens also to DCS. Thats the cause why the cpu usage isn't at 100% while running DCS. I can assign via taskmanager the running dcs.exe by manual to use only core eg. 0+1.

Right click on the running dcs.exe task and select affinity than you will see.

But isn't it possible to do it automaticly via batch or some tools????

Regards

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2

Try looking in "Config\autoexec.lua" it should have some affinity settings you can mess around with. Don't guarantee the results you're looking for though.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Try looking in "Config\autoexec.lua" it should have some affinity settings you can mess around with. Don't guarantee the results you're looking for though.

In DCSW vanilla actual is no autoexec.lua in the config folder. There is one in Scripts but there are no affinity parts in there.

:(

Didn't someone make some affinity utility for Black Shark a few years ago? I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

This tool was for BS1!!!! :smartass:

Not workable with DCSW :(

I just remembered it existing. I don't know how adaptable things like that are. I don't know if someone smarter than I am could easily adapt it.

The OP clearly knows more about this side of things, as I wouldn't even know how to set core affinity using a CMD batch.

Maybe I shouldn't be working in IT...

You don't need to set an affinity mask for DCS anymore they fixed that a long time ago. If you are trying to force it to a certain core maybe this post will help:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=49780

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Hi, I have been looking for multi-core information about DCS World too, mainly because back when there was only DCS: Black Shark, at some point it was recommended to manually set the affinity to all CPU's to improve performance.

However, EtherealN confirms that multithreading support is limited to running the sound engine on it's own thread:

Two cores - sound engine sits in it's own thread.

This means that any attempt to "force" DCS World to run on other cores, as some members here suggest, is bound to fail.

For an application to run on multiple cores, it must run on multiple threads. For an application to run on multiple threads, it has to be designed as such. This means that the application architecture must support this. The application (DCS World) would have to divide work, allow other threads to process parts of this work, reconnect the outcomes of these threads and also allow threads to communicate to exchange data and to not interfere with each other (for instance, you don't want threads to overwrite each other's data). It is like requesting from a train that all odd cars are rerouted to another station. It can't be done unless you take the entire train apart and re-arrange the cars so they are grouped by destination :)

My point is, don't spend too much time trying to force DCS World to run on multiple cores. If it wasn't designed that way (like EtherealN is suggesting), then it won't work.

We can only hope the developers have multithreading support for the main simulation loop and for the rendering loop on their roadmap somewhere.

Edited by Epidemi
forgot a word

Setting the affinity for a process is not about forcing it to use multiple cores in the first place. It's about limiting it to certain ones.

Why he tries to have the game run on certain cores only, I don't know.

There are some possible reasons for that. Maybe he wants to have the game run exclusively on some cores and everything else on the others.

Older Quadcores like the Q6600 were also more like two Dualcores rather than a real Quad. Cores 1 + 2 and 3 + 4 each share a cache that the other pair doesn't have access to. So running a two thread process on cores 1 and 2 would be faster than cores 2 and 3

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

St3v3f that was exactly my intetion. I want do give DCS 2 out of my 6 cores exclusivly. I have realised after doing this by manual DCS is running much better on my system due to the fact that the OS doesnt switch them all around with the other running threats. And bye the way. My Phenom II X6 uses Coreboost for exact this to cores and push the frequenz up from 3GHz to 3.5 GHz.

Just to do this right now I have to "ALT-Tab" and that causes to miss some textures in the TGP on close distance. I know this TGP issue is a propably known Bug.

Regards