Landing procedure for F-15 AFM

taps

Me too. The advice to have my speed at 200 has me greasing pretty much every time. Starting to get good at keeping the nose up after touchdown for speed bleed also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

• 4 months later...

when i try to land with f-15c, plane rolls to a side. i managed to land some proper landing somehow but also in these landings, struglled to keep it straight.

is it about my joystick settings or lack of practise? because i use f-15 very very rarely. today i just gave a try.

firts i tried 150 knots with fully loaded external tanks, missiles etc. and i ended up "stalling", and crashing.

then tried 170-180 knots and landed barely.

my pedals are also very effective on the surface, with a little input, plane starts rock n roll.

i can land a-10c very easily.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

it's about the AoA, 21 for approach at any configuration, flare to 23 uAoA, as said many times on this forum :)

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

I'm kinda following the things done in the Normal Landing Video.. So far I can pretty much land the F-15 in a much better way now..

but for some reason I have borked up my landings the past few days... been doing what was in the normal video training more or less but then I kept hearing that loud metal screech sound upon touchdown..

For sure my touchdowns are ugly again..

and for some reason it makes me think.. Is the glideslope in the F-15 ILS somehow bugged too? Perhaps by following it.. I'm somehow approaching too high?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're doing a visual approach, leave the ILS alone - you don't see it anywhere in the 'Normal Landing' video. Landings are visual FIRST, instruments are for when you can't see.

Do it right visually and get rid of INS. (And yes, ILS has its issues).

Do what's demonstrated in the video, not 'kinda sorta' what's in the video - don't ad lib, don't take away or add stuff - at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You're doing a visual approach, leave the ILS alone - you don't see it anywhere in the 'Normal Landing' video. Landings are visual FIRST, instruments are for when you can't see.

Do what's demonstrated in the video, not 'kinda sorta' what's in the video - don't ad lib, don't take away or add stuff - at all.

This!

Once I understood your instruction to fly the jet onto the runway and worked on my flare, it's now second nature for me. The only thing I glance at in the HUD is my airspeed. As long as I keep it at 200 it's pretty easy. I'm approaching 200 successful landings in the last 90 days.

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

Good job. Now change from looking at airspeed to looking at AoA, maintain 21uAoA through out your entire approach and cross-check speed only to avoid getting into a bad trend (speed change from whatever 21uAoA has you flying at) - the speed trend is usually easier to notice in game than a change in AoA trend.

:)

My usual straight in, tailored for helping a new pilot have more time and understanding of what is happening would look like this:

Begin at 10nm from runway, lined up. Get speed to 250, altitude to RWY altitude + 1500'. Fly straight and level towards runway (no descent or climb). At 5nm, you will intercept the glideslope - the runway threshold should be at about -3 degrees on your pitch ladder.

At this point, reduce throttle (Because you need to be under 240 for flaps to deploy!) and put the FPM on the runway threshold.

Deploy gear and flaps.

Maintain the FPM on runway threshold, moving it only to correct the glideslope - ie runway threshold and FMP must coincide at -3 deg on your pitch ladder. -2.5 degrees (right in the middle) is acceptable, 2 or 4 degrees not so much.

At this point your speed should be decreasing. Let it decrease until you reach 21uAoA, then: (Edit: Pro-tip. Trim the plane for hands off flight at this AoA ;) )

Maintain the 3 degree glideslope as above

Maintain the 21uAoA until ground-rush.

Fly this approach to the threshold, then execute flare as required.

My point here is that 200kts is too fast - apporach and landing speed for a light eagle will easily be 60kts slower that this.

Regardless, it's not the speed you should be maintaining, but the 21uAoA. This will always give you the correct speed for your weight.

In the 'normal landing' video, you see SF start at 200 or so kts, but he immediately reduces speed to the point where he holds 21uAoA until the flare - this is the really, really important part :)

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I was talking more in the context of night landings anyway... as daylight approaches, I have no problems since I could feel the ground rush more... Most of my better landings happen during daylight flights

that's why I mentioned the ILS.. but anyway I understand now.. guess it's one of the broken things in the sim..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, the ILS is guiding to the middle of the runway. You can basically follow it with 'one dot' below the GS I think and it should place you with reasonable accuracy. Of course, once you see the runway lights, it's a visual approach anyway :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's the same IRL with day/night landings and you have the additional problem that such super bright landing lights like in DCS don't exist.

you talking about landing lights on the aircraft or at the airport?

If talking about airports, I can tell you that they do exsist. my home base airport when landing at night I have to turn the intensity to low/med when in final. Only when I'm far away do I ever turn them on high.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.