Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

ok, it no longer crashes. The only issue now is that when I bring up the kneeboard and then start cycled through the next pages, when I hit next page AFTER the 4th map is displayed, DCS crashes. This may be due to the update I did for 1.5 today as well? I dont know? I will have to fiddle with it later as that issue may be DCS? I did reboot twice to see if it would clear, but ni joy. Thanks for fixing the initial crash.

If anyone else experiences the same, plz advise, thanks.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

See PM

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

ok, it no longer crashes. The only issue now is that when I bring up the kneeboard and then start cycled through the next pages, when I hit next page AFTER the 4th map is displayed, DCS crashes. This may be due to the update I did for 1.5 today as well? I dont know? I will have to fiddle with it later as that issue may be DCS? I did reboot twice to see if it would clear, but ni joy. Thanks for fixing the initial crash.

If anyone else experiences the same, plz advise, thanks.

I'll update my DCS and see if I have the same problem.

I just updated 2.0 as well, and now have the same results with that as well. in addition, when I opened 2.0, my kneeboard was NOT in the location I previous had set. I would up deleting existing profiles for where the kneeboards reside and made new ones and a quick test of relacation worked.bot still,,, skipping pages after the maps, DCS crashes

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Try running Kneeboard Builder in 'Lite Mode' (Options -> Preferences -> Use Lite Mode). That will reset the kneeboards to their default settings. Then try DCS again.

If that doesn't work, keep Kneeboard Builder in Lite Mode and run a repair on DCS World and try DCS again without running Kneeboard Builder first.

If it still crashes, please send me your DCS log (/Saved Games/DCS/Logs/dcs.log) after the crash. My e-mail is s13solutions@gmail.com.

Hopefully I will be able to find out if it is a Kneeboard Builder problem or a DCS bug.

Thanks.

DCS 1.5 & 2.0 now work fine in Lite Mode. except for the fact that the kneeboard is no longer where I need it, which is what was expected setting all to default.

AlaskanGrizzly

So far all is OK in Stable version.

What was the issue that you encountered?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I'll update my DCS and see if I have the same problem.

AlaskanGrizzly, I was just wondering if you ran into this issue after you updated, and if so, have you figured out a fix? Thanks,

AlaskanGrizzly, I was just wondering if you ran into this issue after you updated, and if so, have you figured out a fix? Thanks,

I updated but did not have the same problem. I am wondering if your viewport.lua or device_init.lua for each module is out of date or corrupted somehow.

Did you try the fixes I mentioned in the post above?

If your default kneeboard works normally after trying those fixes then you can try taking Kneeboard Builder out of lite mode and try moving your kneeboards around.

Thanks for the response, I did not do anything past the 1st line as DCS worked after running in Lite mode. I figured you needed to look into something at that point?

I will proceed with the other steps as indicated and report back, thanks.

Emailed you the crash log. After running repair, DCS Open Beta does not crash while Kneebuilder is in Lite mode, but when NOT in Lite mode, the kneeboard will come up in the location set, the maps toggle just fine, but when the next page is one of the imports, DCS Crashes.

Beta and Alpha now working with this update, I did have to run repair on both for them to do so. Thank you very much, I dont envy you guys every time an update comes along,,, cant wait for the big merge! Thanks again sir!

Spoke too soon,,, I ran all the tests with all MODS disabled in JSGME, I just enabled them and Beta crashed again, I will send the log.

I have tried using the Kneeboard builder to change position of the kneeboard but it does not appear to be doing anything anymore.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

Disregard my above statement, I sent you the crash log, the crash is not related to MODS being enabled.

Maulkin, did you do a DCS repair then the Kneebuilder update?

Hello, I am really desperate. I am an avid user of your kneeboard builder, and for me it is a totally essential tool for flying DCS in VR.

Now, since several weeks and several versions ago (I sadly didt track it), I am unable to change the position and size of the kneeboard. It simply wont stick, when I get in game, the position and size are at the default, no matter what I enter.

A friend told me a workaround:

Repeatedly save the profile with 'Default Profile for Selected Aircraft' checked and unchecked.

So when I save it after 5 or so repetitions, then it will 'stick' and voila, the size and position get saved.

BUT

that renders my A10C TACAN panel inop?!! At this point, only a DCS repair will restore the TACAN panel?!. It turns out that, when that happened, the file device_init.lua was changed.

so after the DCS repair I get TACAN back, but my kneeboard is back to the default position.

so I have to choose between the two.

In case anyone could help me out here, I suspect there is some corrupt setting maybe in the registry or somewhere? I obviouusly tried the normal stuff like, reinstalling the app, updating it etc etc, but nothing that I can figure out will solve the problem.

Edited by EntropySG

Hello, I am really desperate. I am an avid user of your kneeboard builder, and for me it is a totally essential tool for flying DCS in VR.

Now, since several weeks and several versions ago (I sadly didt track it), I am unable to change the position and size of the kneeboard. It simply wont stick, when I get in game, the position and size are at the default, no matter what I enter.

A friend told me a workaround:

Repeatedly save the profile with 'Default Profile for Selected Aircraft' checked and unchecked.

So when I save it after 5 or so repetitions, then it will 'stick' and voila, the size and position get saved.

BUT

that renders my A10C TACAN panel inop?!! At this point, only a DCS repair will restore the TACAN panel?!. It turns out that, when that happened, the file device_init.lua was changed.

so after the DCS repair I get TACAN back, but my kneeboard is back to the default position.

so I have to choose between the two.

In case anyone could help me out here, I suspect there is some corrupt setting maybe in the registry or somewhere? I obviouusly tried the normal stuff like, reinstalling the app, updating it etc etc, but nothing that I can figure out will solve the problem.

I hadn't noticed that before, but I just checked and my system was doing the same thing. Good news is I think I found the problem and the fix for it.

Long story short, Kneeboard Builder makes a copy of each aircrafts device_init.lua to use as a backup. However, when DCS World gets updated Kneeboard Builder doesn't know to replace the backup with the new updated device_init.lua, so it kept using the old file, which had been changed for the a-10c a few patches ago.

The fix for that right now is:

1) Put Kneeboard Builder in 'lite mode' (Options -> Preferences -> Use Lite Mode) This will remove all of the old backup files.

2) Repair DCS World

3) Take Kneeboard Builder out of 'lite mode'. This will create new backup files using the correct newly updated files.

Everything should work normally after that.

I will try to improve the Kneeboard Builder logic to prevent these problems in the future, but until then it appears it will be best practice to put Kneeboard Builder in 'lite mode' before running a DCS update.

• Like 1

The fix for that right now is:

1) Put Kneeboard Builder in 'lite mode' (Options -> Preferences -> Use Lite Mode) This will remove all of the old backup files.

2) Repair DCS World

3) Take Kneeboard Builder out of 'lite mode'. This will create new backup files using the correct newly updated files.

Everything should work normally after that.

THANK YOU!!!

It works again, finally!! I cant tell you how much a relief that is for me, I need to make the kneeboard bigger to be able to read our JTAC maps and stuff, and at the same time use the yardstick. Im so happy you could help me out with this!! Thanks so much :D

Just FYI on this. After the most recent Kneeboard Builder update, my A-10C cockpit completely disappeared. I could see the gun, wings and fuselage, but no cockpit. Fortunately, I had an older copy of Kneeboard Builder on a different PC and went back to that. I had to repair DCS World to fix the A-10C. I'll try the new version and will also try to remember the lite mode setting.

Thanks,

Paul

Version 1.6.9.8 Released

Version 1.6.9.8 is now available.

- Fixed some FC3 aircraft kneeboards not customizing

- All FC3 aircraft can now have individually customized kneeboards

- Fixed taskbar icon kneeboard profiles not removing profile after deletion

- Fixed create profile advisory not appearing when there are no existing profiles in 'All' category

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you are having problems with custom kneeboards not appearing correctly, kneeboard pages not cycling or aircraft cockpits disappearing please complete the following steps:

2) Repair DCS World

It is best practice to put Kneeboard Builder in 'lite mode' prior to updating DCS World to make sure all the necessary files are updated correctly.

Today it is my first time dealing with KneeBoardBuilder. Looks good and helps a lot. But how to set up size and position of the kneeboard. Option "Kneeboard Settings" is greyed out for me. I am using the DCS World 2 OpenAlpha.

What do i have to do in order to get it working?

My plan was to use Chuck´s guides, but they are made in horizontal format.

Today it is my first time dealing with KneeBoardBuilder. Looks good and helps a lot. But how to set up size and position of the kneeboard. Option "Kneeboard Settings" is greyed out for me. I am using the DCS World 2 OpenAlpha.

What do i have to do in order to get it working?

My plan was to use Chuck´s guides, but they are made in horizontal format.

Kneeboard Settings is greyed out if Kneeboard Builder can't access your saved games folder and/or the DCS installation folder.

In the Options -> Preferences window make sure the DCS path is pointing to your OpenBeta installation and the Saved Games path is pointing only to your saved games directory (not to /Saved Games/DCS.openalpha).

You may need to run Kneeboard Builder as an administrator as well.

Kneeboard Settings is greyed out if Kneeboard Builder can't access your saved games folder and/or the DCS installation folder.

In the Options -> Preferences window make sure the DCS path is pointing to your OpenBeta installation and the Saved Games path is pointing only to your saved games directory (not to /Saved Games/DCS.openalpha).

You may need to run Kneeboard Builder as an administrator as well.

Don´t know why, but now it works. Great app. Thanks!