Which chopper to start with?

There's a good chapter dealing with similar situation in "To the Limit". Not as well written as Chickenhawk, but lots of interesting details straight from the source. Worth a glance if the OP needs a rest from exploding :)

I WILL NEVER TIRE OF BEING EXPLODED

*pauses*

:helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

When you explode all the time you do it wrong! The goal is to sit on the exact spot you wanted to land on, watch your rotor blades spinning through the air in front after mast bumping disconnected them during flare and banging your head against something solid nearby, while shouting: "why me again! I was thus close!!!" :rofl:

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

When you explode all the time you do it wrong! The goal is to sit on the exact spot you wanted to land on, watch your rotor blades spinning through the air in front after mast bumping disconnected them during flare and banging your head against something solid nearby, while shouting: "why me again! I was thus close!!!" :rofl:

When learning startups I once let the "throttle idle disengage / starter" button up too soon. The rotors span for a bit, and then merrily removed themselves, parked in front of my cockpit and went "Oh hai"

A man told me I was breaking his helicopter. He sounded sad.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

For those who want to learn how to fly a Huey or MI8 CORRECTLY....... we have the training...

...AND the know how!

Some of our training includes:

Basic Wings:

o Hovering in place for 1 minute

o Hovering Turns

o Forward Hovering flight

o Side-wards Hovering Flight

o Rearward Hovering flight

o Taxiing: Hover and Air

o Take-offs: Hovering and surface

o Straight and Level Flight

o Normal Climb and decent

o Approaches: to a Hover and to the Surface

o Helicopter Traffic Patterns

o Roof top Landings

o Multi-ship formation flight

Senior wings:

o Navigate by Pilotage and Dead Reckoning

o Shallow Approach to a Running Landing

o Confined area Operations

o Slope Operations

o Simulated Engine Failure at altitude (Autorotation at altitude)

Master wings:

see us......for more info

We use Teamspeak and have all sorts of resources that are available to those who wish to "get it right", with out struggling.

Check us out ! here http://1stcavdiv.conceptbb.com/

We are an INTERNATIONAL group (Australia--Europe-Canada and USA) and have new members joining frequently.

We do our best to emulate the 1st Cavalry Division, 229th Helicopter Assault Battalion as it was in Vietnam.

MISSION OF THE 1ST CAV DIV

Our mission is unite people world wide who love the Huey and want to experience the joy and exhilaration of flying in a formation of Hueys or MI-8's as they approach a hot LZ to drop troops in an air assault. We are constantly designing missions to challenge our skills and provide hours of fun and excitement to our flying experience. We have two actual Huey pilots who spent time as instructors, as well as a current UH-60 Blackhawk pilot, that are available to train even the most novice helicopter pilots. You'll be flying like a real pilot in no time.

Windows 10,64 bit

Intel Core i7 8700K, 3.7MHz (O/C-4.8)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E

32GB DDR4

GTX 1080Ti,(sometimes 2x with SLI)

2x500GB SSD

1TB Hybrid drive.

Hotas Warthog system +10cm extension

Custom built (3D printed) Collective assy.

Cross Wind Pedals

Oculus S

Thanks man, I'll bear it in mind :)

I actually got her through the < 40 kts range tonight, managed the collective and pitch enough to bring it in for a hover landing :) I was WAY off the glideslope, and my dodgy hover skills made for a bit of a rollercoaster 5 feet above the ground, but I did it.

It felt rather good :yay:

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

Already on it :smilewink: I've just been waiting on those 980's, hopefully a 980ti with something beastly for a processor.

TSMC is busy making Apple's SoC A8's and some other Qualcomm mobile SoC's in 20nm.

Forget about 880GTX or even 980 GTX anytime within the next 6 month.

It went around on Hardware & Apple sites regarding some other chip that will not see the light of day in 2014 since Apple released the iPhone 6 and a new iPad is also around the corner, with an A8.

They mentioned Nvidia and AMD GPUs as others who have to wait to get theirs done at TMSC in 20nm, early 2015 production time like that, market mid 2015.

Both GPU makers are a customer of TSMC and get their chips fabricated there.

Sounds like TSMC is making good money.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

As it happened that I just stumbled upon this again ... you might perhaps find it interesting: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/helicopter_flying_handbook/media/helicopter_flying_handbook.pdf

Awww hell yeah! Thanks :thumbup:

EDIT: Would rep again but the evil forum mistress won't let me :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

TSMC is busy making Apple's SoC A8's and some other Qualcomm mobile SoC's in 20nm.

Forget about 880GTX or even 980 GTX anytime within the next 6 month.

It went around on Hardware & Apple sites regarding some other chip that will not see the light of day in 2014 since Apple released the iPhone 6 and a new iPad is also around the corner, with an A8.

They mentioned Nvidia and AMD GPUs as others who have to wait to get theirs done at TMSC in 20nm, early 2015 production time like that, market mid 2015.

Both GPU makers are a customer of TSMC and get their chips fabricated there.

Sounds like TSMC is making good money.

Bit

I really hope thats an unfounded rumour or Nvidia find another supplier.... are those guys the only 20nm capable outfit around? :O

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

Currently it seems so... it us still a world of offers and demand.

Building CPU manufacturing sites is not that easy, nor cheap, or done quickly...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hi chaps

I can only find delay info from April, can we not assume we've HAD the delay already, e.g. they were meant to come out mid-year but were pushed back to Sept / Oct? I can't find any recent info confirming that Nvidia are still running behind, as they apparently switched back to the 28nm process precisely because 20nm was a no go.

EDIT: They are releasing tomorrow! Can buy one already:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GTX980-Graphics-Cards-04G-P4-2982-KR/dp/B00NI5DA2E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1411073358&sr=8-10&keywords=gtx980

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY