Blackout absense in Fw 190 D-9?

Kwiatek

I notice that there is really hard to blackout with Fw 190 D-9.

I got blackout realism setting ( simulation mode).

With P-51 it work good - at 6 G pilot start to blackout.

Checked with D-9 and with const 7 G i didn't have any blackout symptoms.

Also i wonder high speed elevator effectivness which is actually very good as for higher speeds the same no risk with damage of plane airframe.

Hi Kwiatek,

As far as I know the seat of the FW-190 was intentionally lowered to provide a deeper sitting position (like sitting on a very low stool or on the floor instead of a chair) to increase pilot endurance regarding high G load. I have a book or something about it but sadly I couldn't find it yet.

So it is modeled correctly I guess.

I agree, it is really hard to black out in the Dora.

It's one of the limiting factors dog-fighting in the Stang (for my brute-force 'style' anyway :)).

I assumed it was yet to be added to this Beta build (like the wing tip vortices), until I encountered it recently for the first time.

I don't know if it's correct or not, but agree it's harder to black out in the Dora.

Re high speed effectiveness of the elevators - yes I've not noticed any problems pulling out of dive bombing runs at ~800 kph - although I'm more carefully now not to over-speed, after a test flight where most of the moving parts were shed at ~900 kph, resulting in the inevitable smoking hole :)

I think that constant 7 G without blackout symptoms is too high even for little more horizontal pilot position.

Still in Fw 190 pilots sit not lie so even if got more deeper postion then in P-51 difference shouldn't be so huge - i think no more then 0,5 G. Lying position could rise G tolerenace about 1 G.

In DCS D-9 pilot start to blackout ab. 7.5 G.

Wonder what Yo-Yo could say about these?

Aerospace Medicine. Funk & Wagnall's Encyclopedia. "If a force of 4 to 6 g is sustained for more than a few seconds, the resulting symptoms range from visual impairment to total blackout."

4–6 g Wayne, Tony. Ride Physiology. Roller Coaster Physics. Virginia Department of Education "As the g forces climb up toward 7 g's, you sink further still in the seat. You can no longer see color. Everything appears in black and white. An instant later, the passenger next to you disappears from view. Your field of vision is shrinking. It now looks like you are seeing things through a pipe. The front corner of the car disappears from view as your peripheral vision disappears. The visual pipe's diameter is getting smaller and smaller. You sink into the seat further still as the number of g's climb further. In a flash you see black. You have just "blacked out." You are unconscious until the number of g's are reduced and the blood returns to your brain."

"Inside Loop [diagram]

8 g blackout limit

A person passes out because of the lack of oxygen in the brain."

7–8 g Pryor, Loyd. Roller Coaster Corkscrew. Georgia Institute of Technology. "The human threshold is around +7.5 G's, for a trained pilot in a 'G suit.'" 7.5 g

It's a hudge problem for me not to black out in the dora. I broke my wings on some ocasions because i had no idea how much g i was pulling .And blacking out partially is a visual indication of what kind of turn i'm doing in a dogfight when not looking at my diales.

Kwiatek

" no risk with damage of plane airframe."

there is risk of damage but you have to fly the dora to know that.

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC the Fw190 seats were inclined about 20 degrees, and the pilot sat in a knees up position.

these two factors go a long way in helping the pilot withstand higher G-forces.

I think this might have been the first time that enhancing pilot G-force capabilities was taken into consideration with an aircraft design.

You'll see similar configurations in todays air-superiority fighters

Never really had a problem with snapping wings in the Dora ... she can take ALOT of pain unless the wings are damaged. Actually had my first blackout in it today and was quite surprised because I didn't fell like I was doing anything that crazy. Its a different design from the Mustang so don't expect the same results.

Just as a side note - I was playing around with a 8 v 8 SP mission and decided to move it up to 30K ft and check out the contrails and thin air manoeuvring etc.

Lowered the temp to -4c in the hope it would expend the vapour trail altitudes... and made the merge above a 10K ft section of the mountain range, for extra fun:)

Anyway, a couple of observations (you've probably all seen already) -

Compressibility is done very nicely - point the nose at the deck up there and it stays pointing at the deck :) Even the AI go in like lawn darts occasionally. You can get out of it, but it's a bit tricky if you're not expecting it (especially over mountains :) )

& Wing tip vortices are 'now added' to the FW! I only get the time to fly about once a week - when was this added, did I miss something? They're done really nicely across the board in DCSW, but good to see them on the Dora!

Really nice job ED!