[RESOLVED] Crosswind handling

Ahmed

Tried crosswind landings.

- Aircraft doesn't crab into the wind at all, seems directionally unaffected by it

- Tends to roll into the wind (expect to encounter downwind roll, if any)

Test mission attached with 20 m/s (~40kt) crosswind

xw.miz

Edited by Cobra847

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The problem with this screenshot might not be necessarily related to the MiG-21 FM. I agree that it looks wrong. But I assume that while the MiG is affected by wind, the contrail particles in DCS propably aren't and therefore remain stationary in space. This would then result in the impression that the aircraft is incorrectly crabbing into the wind, while it is actually correctly flying straight in a moving air mass. This is just a theory, I didn't check it yet.

Edited by MBot

Did you just answer yourself?

Yep. :)

The problem with this screenshot might not be necessarily related to the MiG-21 FM. I agree that it looks wrong. But I assume that while the MiG is affected by wind, the contrail particles in DCS propably aren't and therefore remain stationary in space. This would then result in the impression that the aircraft is incorrectly crabbing into the wind, while it is actually correctly flying straight in a moving air mass. This is just a theory, I didn't check it yet.

And I agree with you!

http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a fast plane. It barely notices crosswind up to 15m/s. Now I land with a 3m/s crosswind and have to deviate the nose with some 5-8 degrees. Do the math. 3 m/s is what 11kph and you descent with 400kph that is a 400 unit vector forward and an 11 unit sideways that tg(X)=11/400 the deviation should be 1.75 degrees. Now the plane is way tooo sensitive to crosswind....

There is an other thing I noticed which makes me believe that something is fishy around wind math. I set the ASP to gun mode I think it was in "CC" manual and flew straight crosswind and the piper deviated significantly to the wind, which was weird. Flying low with some 900kph the plane noticeably drifted at a wind speed of barely 3-4m/s which is odd from a fast plane. I did fly slow prop planes and at that wind even the small, slow prop planes did not have to deviate from the course of the runaway that as much as I have to with a fast jet in DCS.