ILS not working properly

Pinefang

My problem is that the ILS bars don't show on the ADI unless I have the ILS button in the off position (green light off) and they are un-stowed. When I press to on and get the green light in the ILS button the bars stow themselves and don't work but when I press it off and the light goes off they unstow and work fine. Has anyone else had this problem.

My problem is that the ILS bars don't show on the ADI

There are no ILS bars in the ADI. Those yellow needles there are the FD steering bars.

In the DCS A-10C cockpit ILS consists of the glide path marker left of the ADI and the CDI representing the localizer needle in the HSI below.

My problem is that the ILS bars don't show on the ADI unless I have the ILS button in the off position (green light off) and they are un-stowed. When I press to on and get the green light in the ILS button the bars stow themselves and don't work but when I press it off and the light goes off they unstow and work fine. Has anyone else had this problem.

There are several things which can result in ILS bad function.

1. Make sure you have correct ILS frequency set and dont forget to turn the radio on.

2. Call ATC to get correct inbound heading for your landing approach. Then fly in this heading.

3. Dont forget to engage ILS nav mode instead of Steer Point.

4. Dont forget to klick the rocker switch on the same panel to see navigation needles on ADI. You will most likely not see them instantly. They need to be in ILS beacons' range to show up.

Now you should see arrow-like needle on your horizontal indicator how it points to ILS heading (sorry, I cant remeber the shortcuts). I also recommend to set your course to runway heading.

Then follow given inbound heading and keep your altitude at about 2500 ft AGL. Watch horizontal indicator and when the needle which points at ILS heading almost match your manually set runway direction, turn your aircraft into it.

You should see glide path indicator needle on the left side of ADI. The vertical yellow indicator should appear quite early. Horizontal is little more tricky as it tend to appear when you are closer to beacons and you fly in correct glide path.

I don't know what problem exactly causes this problems to you, or how experienced you are with A10C. Your description looks like you have uncaged the yellow sticks too early (doesn't matter if you did) and they just didn't show up. Or you were out of approach path.

I also recommend to not learn ILS on Batumi as its ILS navigation sucks. Try Kobuleti or Senaki.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are no ILS bars in the ADI. Those yellow needles there are the FD steering bars.

In the DCS A-10C cockpit ILS consists of the glide path marker left of the ADI and the CDI representing the localizer needle in the HSI below.

I think this is not complete truth. :)

There are needles and bars on the ADI (both for localizer and glide slope) and yes, these are for ILS navigation, when You are set for ILS approach. So if the bars don't move, when he has PTR switch in ABLE position, right ILS frequency, approaching at the correct runway heading and You are within the ILS beacon range, there is something wrong. :thumbup:

There are several things which can result in ILS bad function.

1. Make sure you have correct ILS frequency set and dont forget to turn the radio on.

2. Call ATC to get correct inbound heading for your landing approach. Then fly in this heading.

3. Dont forget to engage ILS nav mode instead of Steer Point.

4. Dont forget to klick the rocker switch on the same panel to see navigation needles on ADI. You will most likely not see them instantly. They need to be in ILS beacons' range to show up.

Now you should see arrow-like needle on your horizontal indicator how it points to ILS heading (sorry, I cant remeber the shortcuts). I also recommend to set your course to runway heading.

Then follow given inbound heading and keep your altitude at about 2500 ft AGL. Watch horizontal indicator and when the needle which points at ILS heading almost match your manually set runway direction, turn your aircraft into it.

You should see glide path indicator needle on the left side of ADI. The vertical yellow indicator should appear quite early. Horizontal is little more tricky as it tend to appear when you are closer to beacons and you fly in correct glide path.

I don't know what problem exactly causes this problems to you, or how experienced you are with A10C. Your description looks like you have uncaged the yellow sticks too early (doesn't matter if you did) and they just didn't show up. Or you were out of approach path.

I also recommend to not learn ILS on Batumi as its ILS navigation sucks. Try Kobuleti or Senaki.

TRUE

just fly a 30 degree bank in the direction of the vertical yellow bar, to line up with the localiser... if the yellow bar is off to the right, bank right. It'll line up when centred.

Unless of course, a whole bunch of "optional" green rectangles (for "training purposes") is demanded to fly in through...

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Could you please post a track with a proper ILS landing? I am flying it for years but now I am not sure if I do all the stuff right.

YouTube! :-) RalfiDude has a very nice ILS landing video for A-10. Some good hints, nicely described......a tak dál a tak dál. :-)

These are your ILS CDIs, course deviation indicators, for glide path (GP) and localizer (LOC).

attachment.php?attachmentid=63906&d=1332053032

The bars are flight director bars, telling you how to manoeuver the aircraft to center the CDIs if you can't figure it out for yourself, to put it bluntly*. Do yourself a favour and stow the FD bars while learning to do it the right way - then use them at will and as required.

Cheers,

/Fred

*) The more diplomatic wording would be 'if you need to reduce cockpit workload'. You should be able to fly on raw data .