F-35 vs F-16

Hummingbird

There will be separation issues only if air off the bottom separates and remains that way when it gets to the LERX, but that would make them pointless. I wouldn't expect much separation at all over the top of the fuselage. Maybe there is a little bit of vortex formation on the sides of the inlets, but I don't think they will have a big effect.

The F-15 doesn't seem to have any issues.

f15dt8.jpg

And of course there is the F-35 image itself a few posts up.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This results in a less than optimal leading edge for the air to work itself around in the fuselage area, resulting in seperation and a low L/D ratio.

This has the same ring of authenticity as the "air cushion" explanation of ground effect. :music_whistling:

There will be separation issues only if air off the bottom separates and remains that way when it gets to the LERX, but that would make them pointless. I wouldn't expect much separation at all over the top of the fuselage. Maybe there is a little bit of vortex formation on the sides of the inlets, but I don't think they will have a big effect.

The F-15 doesn't seem to have any issues.

f15dt8.jpg

And of course there is the F-35 image itself a few posts up.

So you're saying that you're not seeing the difference between the F-16, -18 & F-15 here? To me it's quite clear and pronounced.

10207_002.jpg?m=1391858138

a3649699-13-f-18%20lex%20vortex.jpg?d=1291910943

Edited by Hummingbird

The F-35 has Chines instead of LERX.

Lets try this again...

Where do you see chines on the F-35? Are you sure you are referring to the right part?

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

So you're saying that you're not seeing the difference between the F-16, -18 & F-15 here? To me it's quite clear and pronounced.

Separation was mentioned specifically, I don't think the F-35/15 type fuselage will see significantly more separation than aircraft with larger LERX.

While your images do show more vapor, I wouldn't try to judge the actual vortex strength from images alone. At the very least you'd want images of the planes flying in the same conditions, but even then it's not going to be very good for quantitative analysis. I'll agree that larger LERX leads to a larger vortex, but that does not necessarily mean greater efficiency across the board.

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

If you can "see" lift than you have a sixth sense, I only see a vortex, imho a little bit high over the wing to really contribute to lift, but that's just an opinion. Fact is that the Lerx acts as a giant airbrake in these manoeuvres, weather this generates extra lift seems to me highly debatable, I would rather think the aircraft is vertically losing altitude in high AOA.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are looking at a low-pressure vortex (hence the condensation,) which is essentially what lift is. But again, I agree that this is a weak analysis. Too many factors involved. For what it's worth, there is a point past which having a stronger LEX vortex is a detriment rather than an advantage.

Lets try this again...

Where do you see chines on the F-35? Are you sure you are referring to the right part?

Sierra

Sounds kind of demanding... :huh:

attachment.php?attachmentid=215835&d=1366981880

Look at the shadow caused by the "lip" above the intake. (Above where it says Danger Jet Intake.) That "lip" is called a chine.

Does that source contain information more specific about LERX design? Those general points make sense, but they don't really give any method for ranking designs. The closest would be the reference to breakdown AoA. Also, fuselage lift isn't solely vortex dependent. Even the CL graph you posted isn't if it's for the entire plane. The vortices will help draw freestream air over the wings/fuselage.

Sounds kind of demanding... :huh:

Well, first time I asked the question the post disappeared...Not demanding, curious.

Look at the shadow caused by the "lip" above the intake. (Above where it says Danger Jet Intake.) That "lip" is called a chine.

LOL...Those little things...I'm not sure those meet the definition of a Chine but if you can show me something official that refers to those as Chines and I'll buy it. I think you'll find they fall into the category of strakes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

LOL...Those little things...I'm not sure those meet the definition of a Chine but if you can show me something official that refers to those as Chines and I'll buy it. I think you'll find they fall into the category of strakes.

Er... ok. :dontgetit:

This is a chine: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/A-12_Nose_View.jpg/1280px-A-12_Nose_View.jpg

This is a strake: http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Typhoon/Images/Typhoon_ZJ924_12461.jpg

Often (and sometimes inappropriately) interchanged terms. I could be reading into it too much, but your tone comes across as a bit condescending and rude.

Does that source contain information more specific about LERX design? Those general points make sense, but they don't really give any method for ranking designs. The closest would be the reference to breakdown AoA. Also, fuselage lift isn't solely vortex dependent. Even the CL graph you posted isn't if it's for the entire plane. The vortices will help draw freestream air over the wings/fuselage.

It has nothing to do with fuselage lift, which certainly isn't vortex dependant (as you rightfully point out), it's all about the increase in lift gained over the main wings by the addition of large LERXs, esp. on blended wing designs where the vortice is unobstructed along the entire length of the a/c.

Also we're not just talking a single vortex here, the F-16 enjoys the benefits of several vortices generated at certain flight attitudes:

b5f20c305fc111dfad3d000b2f3ed30f.jpg

In regards to fuselage lift the F-16 enjoys an advantage over the F-35 here quite simply due to its more aerodynamically optimized shape, mostly in the form of an airfoil (no worries about radar deflection in the design here), which results in a higher L/D ratio. Crucially on the F-16 the air starts by impacting a sharp leading edge ensuring a smooth transition over & under a carefully curved surface for the rest of the airframe. By comparison on the F-35, with the exception of the nose (& wings but we're talking fuselage area only here), the airstream is first met by two large air intakes, the result of which is a given.

In short at certain AoAs the F-35 might (and I put high emphasis on the word "might" here) enjoy more lift overall from its fuselage due solely to its larger surface area, but it will gain this a lot less efficiently.

Edited by Hummingbird

Hummingbird, are you seriously trying to compare vortex strength and lift characteristics of low aspect ratio aircraft by eyeballing?

That is absurd.

No, I'm doing what we're all doing here (except you atm): Debating the design of the F-16 & F-35 in detail.

Until specific figures are presented on the F-35 we're all making educated guesses at best in regards to its specific performance, but this thread is about comparing these two aircraft, thus we have to go by what we have and thankfully information on the F-16 is readily accessible.

Also wether or not an aircraft benefits from a strong vortex effect can actually be eyeballed in certain situations.

In regards to fuselage lift the F-16 enjoys an advantage over the F-35 here quite simply due to its more aerodynamically optimized shape, mostly in the form of an airfoil (...)

Aby drawings to back this claim (airfoil)?

F-16AM MLU isn't it? I guess F-16C Bock 30 and F-16A MLU are the real dogfighters, the Block 40-50 being more heavy? I can imagine the F-35 matches the latter when loaded, but would have difficulties against a clean Block 30 or MLU.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16AM MLU isn't it? I guess F-16C Bock 30 and F-16A MLU are the real dogfighters, the Block 40-50 being more heavy? I can imagine the F-35 matches the latter when loaded, but would have difficulties against a clean Block 30 or MLU.

No idea - in a 1v1 BFM exercise you might see this - did hint at a Navy Aggressor pilot recently converting to the F-16A B15 about getting some HUD footage when hes up against F-35s ha :)