Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

New Map - Missions

jcbak

As a non-mission designer, I'm curious.....and a little worried. As excited as I am about new scenery and aircraft on the horizon, I wonder if mission designing willbe less frustrating? The new software will still be updated periodically and I assume will have a similar effect on missions that were developed prior to its release. I certainly understand why many stopped creating new missions. What, if anything will change with the new scenery regarding mission development? Won't the same frustrations apply? And if so, is there any hope of a resurgence in mission development that will outlive the initial novelty and enthusiasm of a new theater of operation? We are nowhere without great missions. :cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I'm looking forward to the new maps. Nevada will be large, and as a training area it can handle any aircraft. Not to mention there's nothing stopping a designer from using it as an actual combat area, though I like Hormuz more.

Hormuz is a great fit for A-10, Ka-50 as well as the older aircraft. It's a little small for fighters, but it has a natural border (the water) that helps negate that issue. The F/A-18 and Su-33 may also be able to benefit by using areas outside of the main map.

I'll definitely be making missions for the new maps based on their merits alone. Improvements beyond the maps will likely come with time as well.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

That's good news. I fly with a few guys occasionally and none of us are mission builders. We are running out of options. The Enemy Within looks very interesting. Even though I prefer MP, I'll definitely download the campaign and give it a crack. Thanks for your time on it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

as a mission builder, I think your worry may be misplaced :)

I think you would be hard pressed to find any designer whom isn't looking forward to a couple of new sandboxes. What is important to recognize is that it isn't the map that brings us the frustration but more often slight inconsistencies working with the ME software. Although there are small problems with the current map (transparent trees, bridge crossing) it's still pretty manageable from a design perspective. I am personally hoping that the release of Hormuz, EDGE and Nevada is paired with some maintenance work on the ME as that will be the single greatest step forward for design.

New map objects would be unbelievably awesome though - I would give my left arm to see ED start bundling and distributing community created objects with their patches so everyone can enjoy them and designers can then build without worry what mods the audience has installed.

As for reliance on other to make your missions, I'm happy to offer some insight on how to build missions to you or anyone interested jcbak... I can set up a team viewer session and walk you through the basics very quickly so you can have simple missions up for you and your mates quickly .... you will be surprised how quickly you get comfortable with the editor and start pumping them out.

PM me if you ever have any questions.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Click HERE for just one example of how one of the most talented and enthusiastic mission designers has left the community over this issue. How many others have left for the same reason? There haven't been many that have been willing to take the time to learn the ME and create high quality MP missions for the community and each one that has resigned out of frustration has left a huge hole that has not been filled. As a result we now have missions that are over 3 years old, many of which no longer function properly. IMO this has done more damage to the community than anything else and has contributed to a continuous drop in the number of veteran simmers still active with DCS. Although I am excited about EDGE and new maps coming soon, I fear that unless the issues with the ME have been solved as well, the positive impact of new product will be greatly diminished.

Edited by Blooze

I certainly understand why many stopped creating new missions.

Well, I'm one of those wondering about the changes ahead. Maybe have to start fresh... who's going to fly Bosnia after the new maps come out? Never-the-less, I can't help myself with new ideas and missions.

WC

Hollo Pointe Server

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

That's good news. I fly with a few guys occasionally and none of us are mission builders. We are running out of options. The Enemy Within looks very interesting. Even though I prefer MP, I'll definitely download the campaign and give it a crack. Thanks for your time on it.

I would reccommend not to download the current, 7 mission version with voiceovers done with text - to - speech, but wait for the final release that should show within a month, maximum two. It should have around 17-19 missions in total with real voice actors and a much longer story (I am also drastically improving the first seven missions). Also, as I have promised Blooze before, once I release the SP campaign I want to also release most of the missions in the MP mode, as a MP campaign - and ultimately after that switch into strictly MP mission building. I am right on track there with around 10 different people recording the voiceovers (some of them proffesional actors) and it won't take long now!

Click HERE for just one example of how one of the most talented and enthusiastic mission designers has left the community over this issue. How many others have left for the same reason? There haven't been many that have been willing to take the time to learn the ME and create high quality MP missions for the community and each one that has resigned out of frustration has left a huge hole that has not been filled. As a result we now have missions that are over 3 years old, many of which no longer function properly. IMO this has done more damage to the community than anything else and has contributed to a continuous drop in the number of veteran simmers still active with DCS. Although I am excited about EDGE and new maps coming soon, I fear that unless the issues with the ME have been solved as well, the positive impact of new product will be greatly diminished.

You are right about that, most of the good, huge MP missions are pretty old. As posted before, I will get into striclty MP mode once I release the "Enemy Within", probably at first building on that campaign (making the missions broader and longer), but I have some separate ideas as well. And thanks for all your help on many missions I've done so far, Blooze!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png