Unfortunate C5 crash...

My Dad emailed me with the news about this C-5 crash in Deleware a little earlier.

He was the Chief of Safety for our airbase in Germany (Rhein Main) and as part of his job had to know and learn alot about plane crashes for investigative reasons.

He is pretty certain that they forgot to fuel up the plane and it took off without much fuel, then once airborn realized that they were on fumes and tried to come around for an emergency landing... well they hit short of the runway. His reason for that notion is the lack of fire, or smoke of any kind. Luckily all of the 17 people aboard are alive.

01.plane.wtxf.jpg

02.site.wtxf.jpg

03.distance.wtxf.jpg

04.people.wtxf.jpg

05.far.wtxf.jpg

You can see how close they were to making the runway...

06.close.wtxf.jpg

If you would like to read the small story you can see it here: CNN

or watch the video (not of the accident) here: CNN Video

I would have hated to have been the crew on this one...

kdittyr

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

look at the size of the fire truck compared to the galaxy, the fire truck or engine as they are more commonly called in the centre of the uninverse, it looks like a toy...

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaam, trust an amercian to take off without fuel :)

jk ;)

Oh my! I am glad that everyone make it!

A landing that you can walk off of the plane is a good one,

a landing that you can walk off of and reuse the plane is a great one.

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

Guest IguanaKing

I'm glad the crew made it out of that. It looks like they had a little bit of a fire on the left wing where the engine was sheared off. You can see the scorch marks and the foam on the wing and on the ground around it. JP4 doesn't ignite all that easily, it usually takes a pretty good shower of sparks to ignite it.

Damn, the terrain looks pretty even...

Forget the fuel (no pun intended :p ) but how the heck did they manage to break the plane apart that bad?

-The nose is pointing the right way for final, but the rest of the body turned 90º Seems like they lost lift and smashed the front of the plane hard instead of gliding as they should've/

Seems like incompetence @ it's finest. Good to hear everyone is ok though.

A huge military cargo plane developed problems after takeoff and crashed attempting to return to Dover Air Force Base on Monday,

Developed problem eh? -haha, "Sir, we develped a lack of fuel after take off sir.." & "oops, I crashed it again"

sig-YF19a.jpg

anyone know the glide ratio of the c5? I cannot imagine that a loaded galaxy has a great one.

I wonder if it would have been worse if it made it to the runway, they probably would have done damage to the plane AND the runway. Maybe not.

Pretty sad.

Kind of reminds me of the C130 over in the Iraq that was landing at night at an airfield and the crew was never told that they needed to shoot long because of the thirty to fifty foot gap where they cut out the concrete out of the runway. Guess where they ended up... Pretty lame and thankfully nobody died there either, but it could have easily been avoided.

Here are a few pics from that accident, my Dad was a navigator for C130's for much of my early life (I'm 31 now). Seeing things like this while he was still flying used to really scare me, it all seemed to real. He and I both feel very attached to this plane as it was an integral part of our lives for nearly 18 years. His only words for these pictures were that they broke his heart mostly becaues it would've been so easy to let them know what was up...

c130_crackup_1.jpg

c130_crackup_2.jpg

c130_crackup_3.jpg

c130_crackup_4.jpg

c130_crackup_5.jpg

I've been in situations where things get overlooked, but thankfully they didn't risk anyones life.

The title of this topic is "Unfortunate crash". Is there a fortunate crash?

Good question...

kdittyr

Guest IguanaKing

Come on guys. The investigation isn't even concluded yet and some of us are immediately condemning the crew. If the tanks were empty when that left wing caught on fire, its very likely that it would have been BOOM! Game over!

The investigation isn't even concluded yet and some of us are immediately condemning the crew.

More like, the investigation has barely started...

I am not condemning the crew at all. I was just passing on what my father thought.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were something totally different. Still interesting...

kdittyr

Guest IguanaKing

Sorry, kdittyr, I wasn't talking about you. Your father is just making valid observations...nothing wrong with that. :D

I find it difficult to believe that an Air Force crew would miss a lack of fuel in their pre-flight checklists, weight and balance calculations, and general procedures.

If it is actually true they didn't have sufficient fuel, and I doubt that, then that crew is done. If it was a mechanical problem then that crew should get credit for getting that bird back on the deck with no loss of life. The investigation is being conducted and we'll know for sure shortly.

Guest IguanaKing

Whiskey, I can't seem to remember the layout, but is the #2 the left outboard engine? BTW...where the heck is that left outboard? Is that it next to the fire truck?

Interesting to note that in the Fox News article (posted by: Sleek) they said that the crew flying it was a reserve crew. I wonder if they climbed into a hot plane after much of the check might have been done.

I hadn't read about the engine fire, in that case they may have shut down the engine and dumped most of their fuel.

Yeah, the engine tumbled forward of te airplane next to the firetruck)...

I, too, find it hard to believe that the crew could've missed that (fuel, that is), but you never know.

kdittyr

Left to right - 1 through 4

The nbr 1 engines is near the fire truck closes to the nose in the 2nd photo up top.

Dumping a heavy fuel load would take a long time - not a happy situation for an engine fire situation.

With a heavy fuel load, hefty cargo load the aircraft would be on the edge of its ability trying to land heavy.

Guest IguanaKing

OK...I thought I was just losing my mind. I was asking because I don't see much evidence of a fire around #2. I thought it looked like the #1 next to the truck, but couldn't quite tell.

FYI, the foxnews story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190289,00.html

says that:

"...Some of the 250,000 pounds of fuel spilled on the ground but did not ignite...."

and:

"Fourteen were taken to Kent General Hospital in Dover, and three were admitted. Some were covered with flammable jet fuel and had to be decontaminated in the hospital parking lot before they could be taken inside."

... so it looks like the plane had about 120 tons of fuel (which is probably full load of it) ...

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN
Guess new operation regulations are written now, especially the check list, now it will feature this line:

Check fuel u mofo!

:p

jack bauer would of :p

And if Chuck Norris was on the ground he would kick it all the way to China, ride his horse all the way to there, arrive before the airplane and then kick it back (while fighting with some evil gangs) :D

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

And if Chuck Norris was on the ground he would kick it all the way to China, ride his horse all the way to there, arrive before the airplane and then kick it back (while fighting with some evil gangs) :D

Chuck norris wears leather gimp suits in his free time, and drives around listening to YMCA while thinking about Jack Bauer, if Jack knew, he'd kick the crap out of that talking vagina.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy: