Haswell i3 or i5 better at rendering?

I've read specs and reviews and to be honest, I'm still confused. The i3 has 2 cores with hyper-threading while i5 has 4 without hyper-threading. Hyper-threading fools windows into thinking the i3 has double its cores while i5 physically has 4. Ok. Ok..so, which is better then for 3d animation, rendering and DCS?

I'm thinking i5 with four physical cores is better, but is it worth it at double the price? I could get i3 and a mobo for the price of i5 alone.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

It has been years since I kept myself up-to-date on pc tech. I do recall AMD came out with something like 6 cores at reasonable price around the time when I bought my i3 530. I know that must have been over three years ago but I just thought perhaps they might have some 12 cores cpu for the price of i5. I guess not.

Anyway, after some serious mulling, I feel that same amount of cash that'd get me a mobo and cpu would be better spent on quality mouse, keyboard, case, and finally get myself a set of speakers. I've always dream of using high quality mouse for some reason. I bet they feel nice in your hands. :D Might even get me one of those 3D Connexion space mouse.

I can live with my i3 530 and wait 4 hours to render ambient occlusion. Think it might even be 5 hours. lol

Switched to my I5 few months back over the AMD I had an was way better for what i wanted to do. Now will be looking for an I7 to push the threshhold, not sure what Edge/NTTR is gonna require so just planning on gettting an I7 b4 or around Edge/NTTR release. The I5 gave me a boost both in ArmA an DCSW over what I had. The AMD I had was horrible for FPS on ArmA3 but was playable on DCSW at that time. Only regret with i5 is I did'nt get a K version.

--------------

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: Z87-D3HP

Intel® Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Edge wont be multi core any time soon. Yes it can use more than one right now but will not tax anything above a dual core anyway.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

3D anim and rendering i7

Games i5....

This.

To add a bit of detail, the i7 will offer improvement in some gaming, but it won't necessary be largely noticeable. However, if you are doing any rendering it is an absolute necessity...just as 16GB or more of RAM is.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Just to put things in perspective, an i5 4690K costs around 84% of an average person's salary in this country. :D I can do 8 more gig of RAM if that'd significantly cut render time. Honestly though, I wouldn't feel right spending 506 usd for an i7 and a mobo.

Just to put things in perspective, an i5 4690K costs around 84% of an average person's salary in this country. :D I can do 8 more gig of RAM if that'd significantly cut render time. Honestly though, I wouldn't feel right spending 506 usd for an i7 and a mobo.

If you're using AfterEffects, etc. you will need 16GB of RAM at a bare minimum. Regardless, it sounds like you have a certain budget in mind that isn't flexible, so there's no point in asking which or what is better...just get whatever you can afford and hope for the best.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

It took me few hours to bake 1 ambient occlusion map on a model with some 20,000 polys. My latest model is in the mid 200,000 polys range so take a wild guess how long that took. I originally thought perhaps a latest gen chip would shrink rendering or baking time to minutes so I came and asked. The answer was I need i7 so I changed my mind. People do that every day. Even scientists. :)

Rendering is nearly all CPU, there is no way around it. Sometimes, you can get by with a moderately powered processor, but it's going to take way more time. RAM counts most for production.

For work, you need horsepower; CPU, RAM and to a lesser degree, fast and big drives. For games; GPU and CPU.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo