Limit FoV

Celestiale

Hey,

pretty simple i just want to limit my Zoomed-Out Fov to a certain Limit, because i wanna get rid of this "Fisheye-look" right now when Fully zoomed out. It seems around 140°, i would like to limit it somewhere around 90°. Fiddled around with the Zoom axis, bud didn't work. Can someone tell me how to do that?

Thanks,

Celestiale

you can edit this for each aircraft individually. Go to DCS Main folder, search for views.lua and you find a bunch of files. In each file you find a max FOV line.

BTW, 90° is far from optimal, 110 to 120 is perfect with a very tiny nice fisheye effect at the screen boarder. If you have healthy two eyes, you have a FOV of more than 180°...this translates good to 120° on a 2D Monitor

OR

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=96116&highlight=correct+head+neck

cheers

• Like 1

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

the sim was designed for a certain FoV and as soon as the user attempts to change from that, the distortions will introduce

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Thx Lusi, i'll try that.

the sim was designed for a certain FoV and as soon as the user attempts to change from that, the distortions will introduce

First of all the distortions are already there, the fisheye look in zoomed-out mode is horrible.

Second of all, to my knowledge you can't change the FoV without changing the Zoom. They are bound one to another. But i surely want to limit both the FoV and the zoom (out). So i just wanna cut off the last ~25% of zoom out. I'll try Lusi's way

Edit: Thx Lusi, working perfectly. Fidelled around a little bit and using 112 now, for my screen the perfect balance bitween prettyness and usefulness. :thumbup:

Edited by Celestiale

Hi gents,

i am new to DCS and need some help to change the FoV for the FW-190D-9.

i think i am to stupid to understand how to do it. so could you please give me an extra instructions for idiots so i get lost from this stupid fish-eye-look

sorry for my bad english

regards

Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

Thx Lusi, i'll try that.

First of all the distortions are already there, the fisheye look in zoomed-out mode is horrible.

Second of all, to my knowledge you can't change the FoV without changing the Zoom. They are bound one to another. But i surely want to limit both the FoV and the zoom (out). So i just wanna cut off the last ~25% of zoom out. I'll try Lusi's way

Edit: Thx Lusi, working perfectly. Fidelled around a little bit and using 112 now, for my screen the perfect balance bitween prettyness and usefulness. :thumbup:

The thing is that the FOV is the zoom, in other words, in a 3d environment the zoom is implemented with a FOV variation.

And the fish-eye effect is something you'll have in all games, it's not specific to DCS.

The only way to get rid of the fish-eye is to have several viewpoints, you can do that in DCS to use with 3-screens setup, they are the monitor.lua files labeled "3 camera". Instead of using a wide FOV on a single viewpoint it will use 3 viewpoint each with a moderate FOV. Only problem here is that the resource usage is much higher as the scene is rendered 3 times (one per viewpoint).

Try this:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View

Inside is a file called server.lua. open it up in Notepad++ and change this line:

LINE 21 CameraViewAngleLimits = {20.000000,110.000000},

110 is what I use. You can adjust to your liking..

I add a bit of explanations and I attach a JSGME mod to be edited by each one as they please. Don't be afraid to look inside the mod as it is very simple... just the folder structure and the lua files.

Always use Notepad++ to edit them and very important delete the folders of modules you don't have!!!

to install extract the folder from the archive (drag and drop) to your _Mods folder where JSGME is working!!! (not "Mods" where the modules are :) )

yYpXbiN.png

FIX - Modules Cockpit Views - by zaelu - 17.Ian.2015.zip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Hi gents,

after i now have the right FoV settet, i want to know, how are the coordiants that center the head in the middle of the cockpit, so the gunsighn is offset, as it schoult be. i know i can make it with Track IR, but this is the better way i think.

regards

Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

I made it without touching the configuration files, since I use zoom on the axis -antenna elevation wheel on the cougar throttle to be exact. I have just edited the axis in DCS control menu for given planes. Works like a charm.

• 1 month later...

Don't think so. The game was made to be rendered at a certain FoV. If you expand beyond the intended FoV, you will get the fisheye effect. It is present in all games that allow heavy zooming out. Standard FoV for most FPS's is 75 degrees as that displays best on a standard single monitor. DCS seems to use a similar setting.

I would'nt mind if they implemented a FOV slider (with numbers) in the options.

Should be standard in DCS 2.0.

Edited all my planes to 10 - 90, and now use zoom out instead of zoom normal.

Different planes had different FOV as standard it seems. Was bugging me, especially in the A-10C.

Thanks! :)

• 6 months later...

Is it possible that this is no longer/not possible in DCS1.5?? Tried to edit my View.lua files, tried to edit my server.lua file, both in the In-Game Folder, and in the save-game folder. Nothing happens. The game doesn't recognize anymore, that i am changing stuff.

Highly annoying. Can't enjoy the new update at all, because this 140° fish-eye view with TrackIR is just a pain. Does anyone have a workaround for this for 1.5? Pretty disappointed right now. Also that there is still no feature in-game, where you can set your maxed-zoom-out FoV.

• Like 1