Laser Cutter

weeb

Well my new laser cutter arrived today. It was superbly packaged but in their infinite wisdom they store the other parts within the machine to make it fit in a rectangle box for courier. Unfortunately it seems with the bashing and bumping a box gets, it has set things out of true.

I haven't fired it up yet, I am waiting for the support guys to get back to me. Here is a couple of pics:

issueswithnewlasersend.jpg

bentbaseplatesend.jpg

cuttingheadsend.jpg

:(

Edited by weeb

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

That happens quite often with these. My sample also had quite a few quality issues. And as far as support hope for better, but chances are very good that your case will be exactly as all others - 0 support . once they got your money chinese guys suddenly are way less communicative.

EDITED:

But I don't see anything disastrous that you can't fix yourself here - realistically you will need to take care of the issues on your own. As i see it table needs to be removed for straightening. while the table is off consider shortening the exhaust port to gain bit more vertical work area. One of the Y axis belts probably jumped a tooth. Adjusting the plate in pic 3 will not solve anything angle between axii need to be exactly 90 degrees or you will get parallelogram parts .

Chances are very good that you will need to align the optics in your machine as well.

The good part that you will get to know your device really well and any further service will be a breathe :)

Also think about upgrades.

I don't see a honeycomb table so I assume it is bare macine with the standard moshi board equipped. I discovered pretty quick that DSP upgrade is unavoidable.

Air assist is also mandatory.

And finally the most important part - what are you doing as far as fume extraction? Those machines stink hazardous fumes when cutting acrylic. Fan that is included is a joke.

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

That happens quite often with these. My sample also had quite a few quality issues. And as far as support hope for better, but chances are very good that your case will be exactly as all others - 0 support . once they got your money chinese guys suddenly are way less communicative.

EDITED:

But I don't see anything disastrous that you can't fix yourself here - realistically you will need to take care of the issues on your own. As i see it table needs to be removed for straightening. while the table is off consider shortening the exhaust port to gain bit more vertical work area. One of the Y axis belts probably jumped a tooth. Adjusting the plate in pic 3 will not solve anything angle between axii need to be exactly 90 degrees or you will get parallelogram parts .

Chances are very good that you will need to align the optics in your machine as well.

The good part that you will get to know your device really well and any further service will be a breathe :)

Also think about upgrades.

I don't see a honeycomb table so I assume it is bare macine with the standard moshi board equipped. I discovered pretty quick that DSP upgrade is unavoidable.

Air assist is also mandatory.

And finally the most important part - what are you doing as far as fume extraction? Those machines stink hazardous fumes when cutting acrylic. Fan that is included is a joke.

Thanks for the info buddy. I know you get what you pay for, I deliberately bought a cheap one just to see what it was capable of and to learn as I go along. I will probably spend some money either upgrading it or getting a more expensive one in the future. That DSP upgrade kit looks the mutts nuts, good call. I will try your suggestions and see how I get on. Many thanks.

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

Don't take this the wrong way ( please ! ) - but I can't believe how flimsy and thrown together looking that thing is. They really make them down to a price :(

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Don't take this the wrong way ( please ! ) - but I can't believe how flimsy and thrown together looking that thing is. They really make them down to a price :(

Not offended in the slightest bro. It's actually sturdier than it looks. If they agree to take some money off for my trouble I will install this:

http://www.lightobject.com/X7-DSP-upgrade-kit-for-DK40-small-CO2-laser-machine-P942.aspx

:thumbup:

Cold comfort I know, but if you are in the market for a Laser do have the budget I can recommend these guys for Lasers - this is the one I scored.

http://fslaser.com/products/lasers/hobby-lasers/newhobby

Cheers

Peter

hi Peter.

i am in the market for a new device actually - was looking at one of those things

I could pull off a FS as far as budget , but i'm trying to figure out what am i getting for the extra money with it. i did read about quite some gripes with FS support as well.

Thanks for the info buddy. I know you get what you pay for, I deliberately bought a cheap one just to see what it was capable of and to learn as I go along. I will probably spend some money either upgrading it or getting a more expensive one in the future. That DSP upgrade kit looks the mutts nuts, good call. I will try your suggestions and see how I get on. Many thanks.

i don't see anything wrong with that and with this machine learn a lot you will :)

I have the same unit for now - after tuning it definitely can make nice looking pit parts. but even before you make your first cut I urge you to think about fume extraction, you need something along the lines of a powerful shop dust collector fan of at least 660cfm. controller and air assist is a must.

my setup with DIY activated carbon filter

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=85478&page=8

when you consider what is included it is actually quite remarkable they managed to piece that together and still make profit. i see those for as low as 420$ shipped (and it is a heavy box).

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Not offended in the slightest bro. It's actually sturdier than it looks. If they agree to take some money off for my trouble I will install this:

http://www.lightobject.com/X7-DSP-upgrade-kit-for-DK40-small-CO2-laser-machine-P942.aspx

:thumbup:

consider not buying as package. the stop button, additional PSU and complete new laser head is not really needed.

but i guess it is not that much extra $ ..

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

consider not buying as package. the stop button, additional PSU and complete new laser head is not really needed.

but i guess it is not that much extra $ ..

This one is slightly cheaper Anton. And there is a step by step PDF for install.

Yeah, when you think about it, a 40 watt laser tube takes a whole chunk of cash, so the rest is just mass produced. I have no issue with the outside, it's definitely strong enough, it's the inner I want to delve into. Been 24 hrs and still no reply from customer support so you are onto something here. Take it I'm going to get a rubber ear.

http://www.lightobject.com/AWC608-DSP-upgrade-kit-for-DK40-small-CO2-laser-machine-P758.aspx

weeb

To follow up on my own question about FSlasers I visited their site and spent half an hour or so with support person Lane. I still have couple of concerns , but now I strongly consider their 5 tth gen hobby device.

Peter, which laser tube did you get with yours, 40 or 45W ? Did you get your machine new?

While I was on the phone with FSL we discussed fume extraction as well.

Iast week I had an opportunity to perform another custom laser job (small, annoying, not sim related, but laser paid itself off yet another time). Working in garage in feezing temps was quite a thing by itself, and then to add there was quite a situation with fumes. Stink as if the air wasn't drawn through 6" layer of activated carbon. I suspect moisture covered and froze on the AC killing the adsorbsion. I exhaust outside but still got some fumes back.

FSL person promised to do a research on cold weather operating with their air filtering supplier as well.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

This one is slightly cheaper Anton. And there is a step by step PDF for install.

Yeah, when you think about it, a 40 watt laser tube takes a whole chunk of cash, so the rest is just mass produced. I have no issue with the outside, it's definitely strong enough, it's the inner I want to delve into. Been 24 hrs and still no reply from customer support so you are onto something here. Take it I'm going to get a rubber ear.

http://www.lightobject.com/AWC608-DSP-upgrade-kit-for-DK40-small-CO2-laser-machine-P758.aspx

weeb

Before you move on that kit do a research on RAMPS and arduino solution. there are arduino and like based solutions for DIY 3d printers, so there has to be similar for lasers.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

I wouldn't consider a RAMPS/arduino for a laser. It will only work well for outlines. The X7 and 608 are great controllers and will allow engraving, cutting at multiple speeds, PPI all in one job. My laser became 10x more useful once I put one in.

I wouldn't consider a RAMPS/arduino for a laser. It will only work well for outlines. The X7 and 608 are great controllers and will allow engraving, cutting at multiple speeds, PPI all in one job. My laser became 10x more useful once I put one in.

Thanks for your support here Gadroc. I bought a machine, I knew it was cheap, but the laser tube costs 3/4 as much as the whole gaff. The outside is solid enuff for me to be happy to buy a 330 quid upgrade. I'm learning, hell I didn't do flight sims a year ago, my dad gave me a shot, hooked,I'm going to make a lot of mistakes but do you know something, I will learn from them, and I look forward to issues, there are people on here that will help you. When you are throwing your own toys of the pram, been there done that, people here understand the frustration., I'm like so chilled waiting for Chinese to get back on the 23rd. We will take it from there. :thumbup:

agreed on the usability, i also don't regret going with DSP for me.

but i wasn't sure of OP's budget and weeb needs to at least know about his options before droping another 500+

my laser finally sold today and now i'm torn between the FSL gen5, the generic blue/white 5030 machine and building my own... would get FSL, but sawmillcreek has some bad stories.

Add:

Storm500 looks like a very likely candidate .

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Yea I went build my own route. I used the tube, power supply and optics out of the same machine as weeb got. Actually theatmachine worked fine post 608 upgrade. Only reason I upgraded is so I could fit a full 12x24 inch sheet in the machine. I avoided FSL due to some interesting posts and feedback as well. Their driver is nice, but they have no support for DIY and I don't like the 5th gen design.

I knew what I was getting into. I think half the fun is learning and developing what I have into a useful platform to complete the tasks that I have in mind.

As Anton said it would appear that:

quote: "we have received payment for your purchase , any problems, reply to this email and we will get back in touch within 8 hrs" 62.5 hrs later still waiting, (4 emails). I am a realist, I will give them until the 23rd of this month (Chinese New Year), raise a case with Ebay, and then rip the innards out and build my own.

Helll! the box and the tube are fine, it's just the clusterf uck of their parts that's an issue. I'll keep you informed as to what and how it goes from here. I'm retired now, money is a glitch not a problem. It might help others who decide to go the cheap way and buy a laser cutter/engraver. If anything I am honest, I will give credit where it is due but I will savage when it's not.

weeb

good luck on the project weeb, you sure will have fun tinkering with that.

that X7 controller looks very interesting. in reality that color LCD is completely not needed as you usually will be looking at actual work, but i still would get that if i needed a new DSP - i like pretty screens and hi-techish stuff:).

no time to build one after all, another small job came up.

here is what i brought home with me earlier today - Gweike Storm500:

20150220_223146-vi.jpg

that's the last one they had on hand - display unit. i'm not to worried about time on the tube as it wasn't connected. the items that need to be included with it were in quite disarray however. big stuff like pipes and pumps i did get. but the smaller ones, like packet of documents, CDs, clamps etc required sometime to be found. and still i think some stuff is misplaced, will need to find an adapter for the water pump, got a 72mm focus gauge whilst i was under impression that the lens is 55mm. and the machine itself is not without QC issues - shaped acrylic window sheet was put on backwards :doh:

all an all i'm extremely happy however. will be connecting the exhaust, my own air supply and water tomorow to test the operation. then i need a lower table for it. a handle and perhaps some gas struts for the heavy lid will be nice addition too evntually

so roomy!

20150220_223224-vi.jpg

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

That looks a really sweet machine. I did a search on Alibaba, and got various prices. If it's not being nosey, what did it finally cost all in. By the time I have got my upgrades I will have spent about £650.00 uk that includes initial machine purchase, and I will know a lot more about lasers, I love learning.

650 pounds is roughly 1000$ so it sounds about right.

Now, talking about QC issues I just caught a major one - I guess I had a tiny crack in the back of the tube... Heard strange hissing sound as I turn off the water pump, open the back cover and see the backside slowly dripping. Thinking it might be poorly seated hose I try to put it on better and SNAP - now I'm holding the entire back piece in my hand. No lasing for me tonight.

Perhaps it is for the better that it happened now and not month in. That tube is warranty covered so Monday it looks like I'm driving to Hoffman estates again. , hopefully they will not give me hard time replacing and maybe will agree to give me a credit towards longer tube as repoacement (machine comes with 720mm one, same as K40, but it seems 850mm will fit right in). Judjing by spect PSU should handle additional 5W of output.

Worst comes to worst I'll try to repair, as the actual vessel is not broken. Silicone the piece in, put a plastic shroud around the area and then fill it with more Sil.

On the plus side - compared to K40 I really like the mechanics. So smooth and so much quieter. Loaded couple of my drawings and preformed the run without turning the beam. Sweet.

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 2 weeks later...

Weeb, hope you healing up well.

How is the repair project of the cutter going?

I got and installed replacement tube. Gweike had some interesting ideas as far as true meaning of 3 month warranty. But after some back and forth they agreed to replace and send automation tech another tune. AC gave me one from their stock in advance.

Stock tube that came (cracked) in this machine is 720mm, same that goes into small K40. The replacement one is ~ 790mm however, marked as 32W typical. Not complaining as it is a tube length that determines the output, and that added length fits perfectly in rear compartment. So perfectly in fact that it makes me suspect this one is the actual stock.

I'm using a tankless medical air compressor instead of the stock diaphragm noisey joke rattle. With the included nose cone I get nice 25psi of air assist pressure with lots of flow.

Cutting power is very similar: at 80% duty and 6mm/sec vel I cut through 6mm acryl sheet in one pass. although Amp meter readings are quite concerning - 19mA at 80% power seems very high. Makes me wonder how precise is the built in analog meter and how precise was the light object digital one

I am still in process of calibrating the stepper pulse values - not immidiately occured to me but the machine was way off. Got both X and Y to within .05mm which is already not to bad, at this point using the two squares test feels identical on hand. My dad promised to stop by with some gauge blocks and proper measurement equipment this weekend. will be seeing what precision level this thing will hold

Anton.

My pit build thread .

well, that new tube didn't last long. under 15 minutes of total cutting time, died on me cutting next calibration pattern. just emailed the vendor a video with pretty sparks in the high voltage end. i'm sure they will be thrilled to replace yet another one.

going on third week with no parts made, gets a bit frustrating.

not to mention that my "perfectly calibrated and aligned" machine aside of actually not being calibrated as far as stepper pulses also has X and Y axis slightly out of perpendicular.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Weeb, hope you healing up well.

How is the repair project of the cutter going?

I got and installed replacement tube. Gweike had some interesting ideas as far as true meaning of 3 month warranty. But after some back and forth they agreed to replace and send automation tech another tune. AC gave me one from their stock in advance.

Stock tube that came (cracked) in this machine is 720mm, same that goes into small K40. The replacement one is ~ 790mm however, marked as 32W typical. Not complaining as it is a tube length that determines the output, and that added length fits perfectly in rear compartment. So perfectly in fact that it makes me suspect this one is the actual stock.

I'm using a tankless medical air compressor instead of the stock diaphragm noisey joke rattle. With the included nose cone I get nice 25psi of air assist pressure with lots of flow.

Cutting power is very similar: at 80% duty and 6mm/sec vel I cut through 6mm acryl sheet in one pass. although Amp meter readings are quite concerning - 19mA at 80% power seems very high. Makes me wonder how precise is the built in analog meter and how precise was the light object digital one

I am still in process of calibrating the stepper pulse values - not immidiately occured to me but the machine was way off. Got both X and Y to within .05mm which is already not to bad, at this point using the two squares test feels identical on hand. My dad promised to stop by with some gauge blocks and proper measurement equipment this weekend. will be seeing what precision level this thing will hold

My saga is still ongoing, yesterday they contacted me back and asked me to send the damaged one back and they would issue a replacement. Address in the Midlands. It's cutting it very close as due to me purchasing it during the Chinese New Year, 1/2 of my 30 day money back guarantee time had expired even before we had contact. I'm going to parcel it up today, they want it sent Royal Mail tracked which has 2 problems:

1. I'm disabled and unable to get to the Post Office.

2. Why the fcuk they expect me to pay the exorbitant cost of returning it but it's written somewhere in the small print that I am responsible for it.

So In all honesty I have no idea how this will pan out. If I send this one back and they give me the rubber ear I am outwith my 30 days so I could get shafted, but I will keep peeps informed how it goes.

One thing to cheer me up, my new 55 inch quad core 3d, curved screen TV has arrived so a mate is gonna come along and help me get it set up. :thumbup:

Keep in mind that a laser cutter cuts on the line, as opposed to a CNC router or mill which cuts to the line. When calibrating you will need to account for kerf.

Weeb, well, that is a tough call. even with best outcome shipping back and forth will sure take time. Yes, nowadays when we buy new stuff we learned to expect things to be scratch free and in good working order. Those chinese guys however seem to be very... well , lets call it optimistic (see below) . Someone sure needs to teach them the cost behind sending out knowingly bad stuff, but you probably don't want to be the one - consider whether all this headache and expense with is worth it for you as i'm sure you want to start making parts already.

as i said earlier your machine looks serviceable to me. if the power supply and tube are functioning i would not bother sending it back since there is no guarantee you will get one in better shape. calibration (once you get the DSP) and optic path alignment you will have to learn to do anyways.

Keep in mind that a laser cutter cuts on the line, as opposed to a CNC router or mill which cuts to the line. When calibrating you will need to account for kerf.

absolutely. my test pattern is a 40mm square, i'm measuring the square itself and the inside cut-out with goal of (dim_Inner+dim_Outer)/2 = 40. i'm quite confident i will reach the right numbers. its the out of square that worries me a bit as there is no simple way to put any of the angles i have against the guides. plan to disconnect the Y shaft coupler, adjust by tiny increments and then measure the made part with granite surface plate and gauge blocks.

with that there is more fun stuff from optymistic china tech support.

per their request I emailed them this tube video. after seeing it the tech person is under impression that the issue is with unaligned light path. normally i would laugh

ADD:

Yey!!! my situation was surprisingly resolved by auto tech. after reading my overnight exchange with the Chinese supplier John sent out his technitian Taylor who dropped off new tube at my place. so now i'm cutting again :D

well at least for now.

Anton.

My pit build thread .