The Enemy Within SP Campaign FULL for A10C

Op Hammerfall #3

Wow!

Intense feeling breaking through the cloud layer seeing the valleys and mountains around you.

Cool stuff flying back and forth below the clouds milking enemy SAM:s during each pass. I finally managed to scratch that Gaskin but lost my tail after a close encounter with a mountain top.

Looking forward to giving it another try! A very good mission that forces you to plan, manage your weapons and fly efficiently.

I don't know why people complain about this asbestos stuff...it don't smell so bad.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally finished Hammerfall 3. Nice job. Question. Was it necessary to destroy all the buildings before calling in the armoured column or just the 2 bunkers?

By the way, I really liked the radio chatter, the weather, and time of day. Made playing the mission umpteenth times bearable. :)

Wingmen were next to useless though. Maybe one wingman would have sufficed.

Finally finished Hammerfall 3. Nice job. Question. Was it necessary to destroy all the buildings before calling in the armoured column or just the 2 bunkers?

By the way, I really liked the radio chatter, the weather, and time of day. Made playing the mission umpteenth times bearable. :)

Oh. One thing I noticed. The JTAC, once triggered, didn't seem to work out very well. He gave me coordinates that were several meters off the target. So, I wasted a couple of JDAMs blowing up dirt.

Glad you liked it, it is one of my favorite missions (but not THE favorite). No, you don't have to blow up all the buildings, the bunkers are enough.

I know about the wingmen :) what can I say.. I gave player two in hope that at least one of them will be able to do something..

Oh. One thing I noticed. The JTAC, once triggered, didn't seem to work out very well. He gave me coordinates that were several meters off the target. So, I wasted a couple of JDAMs blowing up dirt.

iirc the JTAC will not give you coordinates good enough to use JDAMs on target just on the basis of the 9-line... it is still better to acquire the target visually and slaving sensors to it.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Hammerfall 3 was a great mission! From one of the earlier Hammerfall missions I smashed into a mountain coming below the clouds, so I'm now much more methodical about transiting through them.

From the angles I was using, there's a very narrow corridor to shoot a maverick at that SA-9. My method was to create a markpoint on it as soon as have it in the TGP, then racetrack through the terrain (trying not to stall into the mountains) and slew the mav right on the markpoint next time around.

Finished the campaign.

Quick review (out of 5)

1) fun factor - 5

2) mission diversity - 5

3) quality -4 (voice overs , radio messages, mission bugs ) could use a few edits and polish , but still solid .

4) "realism" - 2.5 .... Mostly game limitations , really you'd never deploy just 8 A-10s without tons of support aircraft, f-16s , ec-130 , etc... f-16s would of flown a lot of those missions . But flying the a-10 for only FAC , CAS , CSAR , etc.. Would of been boring

Why does a USAF pilot have an English accent ?

Jeje, i also thought about that but i found it a very formal serious voice so it actually made it "real" for me. I could imagine that pilot with a Niglel Mansell type moustache. :)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Finished the campaign.

Quick review (out of 5)

1) fun factor - 5

2) mission diversity - 5

3) quality -4 (voice overs , radio messages, mission bugs ) could use a few edits and polish , but still solid .

4) "realism" - 2.5 .... Mostly game limitations , really you'd never deploy just 8 A-10s without tons of support aircraft, f-16s , ec-130 , etc... f-16s would of flown a lot of those missions . But flying the a-10 for only FAC , CAS , CSAR , etc.. Would of been boring

Thanks for the review :)

As for 'realism' part I am aware of that, but - when you read the first briefing - initially it was sent as a "boost the morale" force amd not a full scale operation. That is why AWACS support, recon units, choppers etc arrive only at a later stage of the mission, when it becomes evident how serious the situation is. Plus, there is no possible air threat, so A-10C seems to be a good choice :) so I hope the whole story holds its ground :)

As fot the pilot - I had a mix of accents, but the player's part really required lots of work & recording :) and IADC (and before him, for a few missions, Habu69) really did a goood work!

As for the quality, I think the next missions will be even better, judging by what we've managed to acomplish so far with the upcoming firs big MP player mission and then new campaign "Operation Crimson Dawn". Stay tuned!

I'm still trying to get past Hammerfall-3...that is a tough, but very cool mission. I've yet to be killed by the manpads, I keep hitting the mountains trying to pop in and out of the cloud base.

Last night I was finally able to hit some targets w/out hitting the ground...or the ground coming up to hit me.

Very cool mission and ambiance, makes flying it over and over fun. This is a great lesson on how to work the AC, sensors and weapons properly. Great job, can't wait to fly the rest.

Good day,

DrDetroit

OP Hammerfall #3 done on the third attempt.

First try: Mav misses SA-9. SA-9 goes into hiding behind mountain. Finally manage to kill it and lose my tail in close contact with mountain top -ejecting.

Second try: Scratch SA-9 easily. Destroys first bunker with GPS guided bomb. When in for the next run a mountain somehow reaches up and touch me -killed.

Third try: Go in, mark SA-9, Bunker#1 and Bunker#2 with markpoints. One Mav and two bombs later mission is a success. Call in ground troops and fly home...

Picture attached showing entry points for safe entry through cloud base. Also shows my pattern for marking the targets and killing SAM.

Untitled.jpg.779c9522f7bd9cb5ceb0180d145e3a93.jpg

I don't know why people complain about this asbestos stuff...it don't smell so bad.

Glad you liked it, it is one of my favorite missions (but not THE favorite).

So which is THE favorite?

I just finished the campaign. Absolutely excellent! I can only imagine the amount of work that must have gone into it.

As a relative newbie I appreciated how I didn't get shot down ALL the time (only most of the time :)). Though in the Odessa mission a Mig-29 got me quite by surprise during RTB. I didn't think I was in Russian waters but maybe he didn't care... Luckily I already sunk the yacht, so the campaign advanced.

Thank you again for your contribution.

No crashes for me on 'A-10s and F-16s' mission.

I was trying to do all the missions on the day specified in the campaign, but alas, Hammerfall 3 mission ruined that :). 3rd time is a charm!

Great campaign, thank you for your hard work. As soon as I am finished I am going to dig into how you built the missions (if that is even possible with campaigns) to help me with my own mission building. I just love how you have the wingman on the 1st mission flying close formation.

Thank you again!

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got through it the 3rd time. Did some things a little bit differently - for example, didn't fire a WP rocket - but not sure how that or any of the other things would cause a crash. Oh well. On to the next mission.

So which is THE favorite?

I just finished the campaign. Absolutely excellent! I can only imagine the amount of work that must have gone into it.

As a relative newbie I appreciated how I didn't get shot down ALL the time (only most of the time :)). Though in the Odessa mission a Mig-29 got me quite by surprise during RTB. I didn't think I was in Russian waters but maybe he didn't care... Luckily I already sunk the yacht, so the campaign advanced.

Thank you again for your contribution.

My pleasure, glad you liked it!

I don't like missions with really crazy difficulty (I believe IRL nobody would send anyone on these) and I try to keep the ones I build like this. I am working on a new SP campaign, so stay tuned!

As for my favourite mission, I think it would be "Leave no man behind" :)

I was trying to do all the missions on the day specified in the campaign, but alas, Hammerfall 3 mission ruined that :). 3rd time is a charm!

Great campaign, thank you for your hard work. As soon as I am finished I am going to dig into how you built the missions (if that is even possible with campaigns) to help me with my own mission building. I just love how you have the wingman on the 1st mission flying close formation.

Thank you again!

It is possible, just open the canpaign with winzip.

If you need any help or have any questions, just PM me, I will be happy to help you :)

Edited by baltic_dragon
  • Like 1

Baltic Dragon - thanks so much for this campaign mate. Have thoroughly enjoyed it and loved how it forced me to learn a few different things along the way. Have upvoted your dcs file and also given you rep.

Hope you make another campaign soon (and can i beg for a UH-1H campaign at some time in the future too? lol).

Dziękuję!!

Discord - Psycho#8075

Glad you liked it skiboss, thx for nice words and rep. Once I release "Operation Crimson Dawn", which will be a complex MP mission, I am going to build a SP campaign built upon it (taskings from MP mission will be enough for at least 10 SP sorties).

As for UH-1... I have bought it and will install it, but to make a campaign I would need to learn how to fly it first, so if I build something it won't happen before at least few months.

The Hammerfall 3 seems to be THE center part of the campaign ;)

Hard to tell if the crash is connected with the campaign itself or with the DCS, although I would probably blame the latter ;)

I'd say its where the men are separated from the boys, the intelligent from the less so and those who can adapt and overcome will prevail while the ragequitters will rage and quit.

Managing navigating the mountaintops just below, or in, the clouds, getting the TGP out of terrain masking and locating the target, avoiding SAMs etc requires a lot, at least for me who's had the A10 for barely a week. Once I get back to it at least I've got the strategy down.

It is very well made, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Even the frustrating ones. And I'm looking forward to actually not get shot down or CFITing on hammerfall 3.