nVidia GTX 960 2GB - what should I expect?

Hello

I just bought a Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 2GB video card - this http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5369#ov

My current rig is as follows -

AMD Phenom II x4 @3.2ghz

Gigabyte mobo GA-880GM-USB3

8GB 1333mhz DDR3 RAM

Sapphire Readon HD 5870 1GB

Corsair 650TX PSU

7200rpm HDD (IDE)

I bought the GTX 960 because I believe my HD 5870 is failing on me (it is 5 years old!) and tech reviews I've seen seem to indicate the GTX 960 is an upgrade from a HD 5870(?). I keep getting days when I resume from sleep (at least the PC being on sleep seems to be a common factor in causing this issue) and after a few minutes I get a black screen with vertical grey stripes (kind of looks like a pin stripe suit) and then in some cases no output at all, the other day I was lucky to reboot (via the on/off button) and get into the BIOS to change over to the onboard mobo GPU because I was getting flickering with the black+grey stripe screen even on POST!! The problem doesn't happen if I leave the PC on all the time, and it goes away when it does happen if I pull the 5870 out and plug it in again but it's been happening more and more recently so I thought I'd upgrade my GPU to rule that out as being the cause...

On the Huey mission Stray Eagle (as an example) I get about 25 fps whilst sitting on the FARP pad and significant drops to 10fps around airports in the Huey campaign, with a mix of low to medium settings (textures on high) in 1080p.

Can I expect any boost in FPS in DCS with this new card?

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

A benchmark result: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=48&cmp%5B%5D=3114

According to that, it's about the same as my GTX 770 (also similar price). I wouldn't take the benchmark too seriously, but I don't think there is any doubt it is substantially better than what you have. In the stray eagle mission, sitting on the farp I get 44 fps at max detail at 1080p looking straight ahead and 20 fps when looking straight back. My system specs are in my sig.

I have the same processor, similar Gigabyte mobo and 8GB of ram too, and had 2 HD 5770's. Bought this rig 5 years ago as well. Last week swapped the ATI cards for a single GTX 970 and that alone was an incredible performance boost. Unreal what a difference changing just that made. Will upgrade the rest of the components in the coming months. :)

The 970 memory issue of 3.5GB instead of 4 is really a non-issue if you aren't running above 1080 resolution (like multiple monitors or 4K). DCS with a full scene of objects hasn't peaked this card's memory yet.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Thanks guys.

Got the card this morning, installed it, fired up DCS, fired up the Stray Eagle mission and I was getting 40-50 fps just sitting cold on the pad. Looking around behind me dropped the fps to about 16 but I'm not likely to look behind me that much, and looking to the side (at one of the Cobra's about to take off to my right) was no worse than looking forwards.

I think I might have playable fps in DCS now (I already had semi-playable fps (40fps average in empty mission maps) but FARPS and Airports in the stock missions killed the fps)! Will test more tomorrow when I have time.

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

I got the same Card(GTX960 Mine is EVGA) and a big jump in fps from my old GXT560 running 1 monitor @ 1920x1080 settings on high, full screen, 512 res, Old Card about 40/60 fps with drops into the 20's. On the New Card and same setup I busted 100+ fps with a drop in the hi 80's when firing cannon. I 'll see how it runs the next few days.. I ran a 4 monitor sys on the 2 560's I was running I 'll see how she runs on four monitors, but I think I'll order a second one and keep the fps high.:thumbup: I hope that helps.:joystick: http://www.evga.com/articles/00895/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-960/

Ps Just flew Free flight in the Huey steady 70's

Edited by slowhand

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I have the same processor, similar Gigabyte mobo and 8GB of ram too, and had 2 HD 5770's. Bought this rig 5 years ago as well. Last week swapped the ATI cards for a single GTX 970 and that alone was an incredible performance boost. Unreal what a difference changing just that made. Will upgrade the rest of the components in the coming months. :)

The 970 memory issue of 3.5GB instead of 4 is really a non-issue if you aren't running above 1080 resolution (like multiple monitors or 4K). DCS with a full scene of objects hasn't peaked this card's memory yet.

Nice to see you happy with the 970 while still using a Phenom II. I'm currently using a 955 and was worrying about any possible bottlenecks if I got the 970 but DCS runs at under 60% CPU usage most of the time so I don't think I need to worry.

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA

Sadly my GTX 960 is not as much of an improvement as I had hoped.

I did a test mission (flying by keyboard, lol!) using Stray Eagle and looking ahead away from the FARP I get decent fps, in the 40+ range.

However if I rotate the helicopter to look at the FARP the fps drops to 20. Which is almost as bad, if not the same, as it was with my HD 5870! Haven't even bothered putting my 2nd monitor on yet, I will assume I won't be much better off in the Ka-50 with the Shkval and Abris on my 2nd monitor. :(

Oh well, at least the new GTX 960 seems to have resolved the issue I was having in general with my PC, I think, seems OK so far...

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

Sadly my GTX 960 is not as much of an improvement as I had hoped.

I did a test mission (flying by keyboard, lol!) using Stray Eagle and looking ahead away from the FARP I get decent fps, in the 40+ range.

However if I rotate the helicopter to look at the FARP the fps drops to 20. Which is almost as bad, if not the same, as it was with my HD 5870! Haven't even bothered putting my 2nd monitor on yet, I will assume I won't be much better off in the Ka-50 with the Shkval and Abris on my 2nd monitor. :(

Oh well, at least the new GTX 960 seems to have resolved the issue I was having in general with my PC, I think, seems OK so far...

Hold out for EDGE, your 660 should fair very well once it comes. I'm probably gonna be stuck using my 560 for the first few months but even I'm optimistic that I will get a decent boost.

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA

Hold out for EDGE, your 660 should fair very well once it comes. I'm probably gonna be stuck using my 560 for the first few months but even I'm optimistic that I will get a decent boost.

Yeah I think everyone is holding out for EDGE.

We were promised it for the end of February this year if I recall. 2 days to go... :music_whistling:

• 1 month later...

Going to hijack this thread.

My System is this:

8GB Ram, i5 2500k 3.3Ghz, Geforce GTX560Ti, Asus P8Z68-V LX Mainboard, Installed on a Samsung SSD, Windows 7 64Bit

I upgraded my flight stick to Warthog, got pedals etc, but in the end my framerate is the limiting factor to me enjoying this sim.

Framerate goes down significantly when firing cannon or when smoke is present. I know there are slowdowns in DCS that will only get solved when EDGE comes along, but changing monitor resolution greatly impacts my average framerate - thus the GPU seems to be the bottleneck in my case.

I would like to upgrade but Radeon is out of the question with DCS and the nvidia GTX970 seems kind of like a bad deal with all its problems.

Sooo, my question is this: Should I upgrade from my gtx560ti to 960 or is there not much performance gain to be expected?

How is coil-whine with the 960? Is it as bad as with the other Maxwells?

Edited by Viersbovsky

Callsign "Lion"

The Gigabyte GTX 960 (ITX version) I ended up buying is silent.

Can't say it's hugely improved my framerates, in fact in some games (Il2 1946, Cliffs of Dover, Project Cars) it seems at times like it's made little to no difference, but for DCS it's given me slightly better fps (in some situations, but still the same poor FPS (in the 20's) when for example looking at the FARPs in the UH-1 Stray Eagle mission, just not quite as low as they used to be) and made the game more playable.

Can't comment on 960 over the 560ti as I "upgraded" from a Sapphire Radeon HD 5870.

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

Viersbovsky, you will not see much improvement with the 960 over the 560ti. At least not in DCS World 1.0 which is DX9. With EDGE and DX11 support there might be some improvement to your FPS.

The 970 GTX is still by far the best buy of the last generation, it is a great card and the problems with ram are hardly problems and IMO are greatly exagarated.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The 970 GTX is still by far the best buy of the last generation, it is a great card and the problems with ram are hardly problems and IMO are greatly exagarated.

This, I have the 970 and the problems were greatly exaggerated. DCS runs buttery smooth with it. With the price of the 970, I'm going to get a second one and SLI it, best bang for the buck.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

IMHO, the problem with GTX 970 will be a concern in the future...

I still remember when I bought 680 2GB in 2012, thinking that 2GB of vram should be plenty for years to come. Now with 4K displays everywhere and high-resolution vr gears on the horizon, 2GB suddenly appears to be so little. The same thing will happen for 3.5GB... and 4GB as well, but at a later time.

IMHO, the problem with GTX 970 will be a concern in the future...

When that time comes, the 0.5 gigabyte difference won't matter in the least.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Expect 1.5GB :megalol:

In all seriousness, the VRAM makes it not really appealing, and you'll have issues with it in the future.

I had a GTX570 the VRAM became the bottleneck really fast.

Edited by karambiatos

When that time comes, the 0.5 gigabyte difference won't matter in the least.

I can't say I agree that the 0.5 gigabyte difference will amount to nothing... And, as far as I understand, it's not as simple as 0.5 gigabyte less. It is 0.5 gigabyte low performance vram, which, imho, is worse than without that 0.5 gigabyte.

I can't say I agree that the 0.5 gigabyte difference will amount to nothing... And, as far as I understand, it's not as simple as 0.5 gigabyte less. It is 0.5 gigabyte low performance vram, which, imho, is worse than without that 0.5 gigabyte.

Rubbish. Nvidia has already released drivers which will prevent access to the low performance vram (depending on the application in use).

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Rubbish. Nvidia has already released drivers which will prevent access to the low performance vram (depending on the application in use).

For applications that require less than 3.5 GB of vram, it would be fine then. For those that require more than 3.5 GB, the low performance vram (LPVR) will still cause trouble and make things worse than if LPVR weren't there. My point still stands.

As for the "Rubbish" part, I have some doubts... Were you referring to your own ability to argue as a mature adult, or your own skills of logical thinking?

As for the "Rubbish" part, I have some doubts... Were you referring to your own ability to argue as a mature adult, or your own skills of logical thinking?

Actually I was refering to your continued efforts of spreading disinformation. Disinformation = = Rubbish.

Actually I was refering to your continued efforts of spreading disinformation. Disinformation = = Rubbish.

I see. Since you call my concern misinformed, can you say for certain that the low performance vram will not cause any problems in applications that require more than 3.5 gb of vram? Care to offer more insights other than "nvidia will solve the issue with a magic driver"?

I see. Since you call my concern misinformed, can you say for certain that the low performance vram will not cause any problems in applications that require more than 3.5 gb of vram? Care to offer more insights other than "nvidia will solve the issue with a magic driver"?

They wont

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/02/24/gtx-970/

its a 3gb card that they worked really hard on, of course they forgot to mention it is a 3gb card.