New user with frame rates at 5 fps or less, help please!

murph

New user here and having major trouble with frame rates. On the ground it maxes at 5 fps and in the air 2-3 fps, which is so jerky it's unusable. I've searched the forums and done everything I think that was suggested but only a very mild improvement (as in previously it was even worse than these numbers!).

What I've done:

- graphics.lua file I changed the max fps to 400 and dropped I think it was some long distance ground objects to 10000 from 15000.

- in game settings everything set at low or off, screen resolution is at the lowest setting, cockpit lowest setting, heat blur off, aero theme off, TSAA and MSAA off, ADR off, CIV off, Vsync off. Trees and all those slider settings on the right are all slid to as far left as possible.

- also played with the 3D settings of my graphics card to the fastest possible performance setting (less quality) but didn't change anything.

Computer specs (desktop):

- Windows 7 premium

- AMD II X4 645 processor, 3.10 ghz

- 6 gigs ram

- 64 bit system

- graphics card ATI Radeon 4200 (256 mb)

I don't know anything about overclocking or checking to see if I'm overheating or anything, so please give instructions for dummies if I have to go there. Only thing I can think of is the graphics card is not good enough but I think I've read other posts from people with the same or similar graphics cards that were getting much better fps rate than this? Right now I'd be thrilled with 15-20 fps! If I need a new graphics card I'm open to that, please make suggestions. Do not really game other than trying DCS. Would really like to see if I can get any more performance out of the card I have before giving up if that's possible.

I should note that all that is being played is the instant action training type stuff for the P-51 on easy, just to learn the basics of starting up and flying. So no guns, bombs, multiple planes or missions of any sort. We're just talking sitting in the cockpit starting up, taxi, tack off, quick fly and land.

HELP please! Thanks!

Edited by murph

The Problem is the system itself and the GPU which is an integrated GPU and well below minimum specs of an ATi DX9c Capable GPU,

The GPU Shares memory with the system ram, which is slow for GPU's use, and also knocks your system memory below the minimum specs as well.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I would look into building a actual gaming system,

the issue with that system, is it's so low spec, a new GPU would be bottlenecked by the CPU, the PCIe Bus and the Memory, and that's not even assuming the small 240-300w Power Supply even has enough Amps on the 12v rail to power a newer GPU.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

As already mentioned, your computer is woefully below the minimum spec for this game. Your biggest problem is the graphics card. I had a very similar processor before my current system and with an equally old Radeon 6850, I managed 20-30 fps except at a few particularly sluggish airfields where it was under 10. Assuming an entirely new machine is out of the question, I recommend a real graphics card. The GTX 770 2GB I use is a good budget minded card. Your CPU will be a bottleneck, but it should allow you to get by with playable framerates. I can't say from experience, but the Radeon 270x is allegedly pretty decent on the budget side too.

From what I hear, the AMD GPU cards don't get along as well with DCS and NVIDIA GPUs. That said, 5FPS is dismal. My processor is a 3.0Ghz Core 2 Duo, and I get 50ish with a GTX 750Ti.

You CPU will do a lot better if it has its own 6GB of RAM to play with. If you can get a better card, NVIDIA-based is my recommendation, you'll see instant improvement. 2GB RAM on the video card is a must. More the better.

You have 1/8 the vid RAM you need...., and I'll bet that GPU's bus is seriously thin.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

Thanks guys. Don't really want to buy a new computer right now. Not a gamer, just want my son to be able to get reasonable performance on DCS as he really loves it, just has to be flyable! I looked up the GTX 770 that was recommended and it was over $500?! I'm in Canada...

Can someone look at this page here and tell me if there are any graphics cards on there that would work with my system and not break the bank? I'm not really tech savvy, don't want to buy the wrong thing.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/video-cards/20397.aspx?type=product&page=1&sortBy=price&sortDir=asc

Or preferably on Amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D677243011&field-keywords=&rh=n%3A677243011

I would REALLY appreciate some suggestions so I can buy something. Thanks!

750 Ti would do fine. $189 I still use the 760 and have all set to high with no problems at all.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

750 Ti would do fine. $189 I still use the 760 and have all set to high with no problems at all.

I can second that statement.. 750TI won't get you high settings but it works well enough when you turn some things down...

750TI will do the job!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Dcs is cpu-bound and prefers Intel. With my new 970 (the Gigabyte G1 Gaming, by the way), the performance of DCS on my X6 1055T (overclocked to 3.7 ghz) is better than with my previous 560ti, but still ridiculous given the videocard I'm using (at times fps still drop in the 20s or below). All the other games run great, even if more recent (for example, Elite Dangerous run at ultra settings at about 100 fps).

I expect that DCS 2 will be less CPU-bound, more friendly with AMD and/or more dependant on GPU. So wait to upgrade.

I would be sure that your BIOS will support the GPU you purchase.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]