Improvement with HDMI

lef64

Hello,

I noticed an improvement in DCS World graphic after I changed my Monitor-GPU connection from VGA to HDMI.

It seems like, without any change to DCS World setting and GPU setting panel, moving to HDMI produced a more smooth graphic without any annoying artefact I experienced in the past.

I please users who has a chance to experiment a HDMI connection to try it and possibly confirm my findings.

In the past, with VGA connection, I was using Anisotropic Filtering x16 in GeForce setting panel. It was the only way to get a smooth graphic, although it was impacting over FR performance.

Yesterday, while using HDMI connection I tried changing Anisotropic Filtering to application controlled, getting a boost to FR without any change in graphic quality.

Resolution is 1920x1080 on a 23'' Packard Bell. Avarage FR is running close to 60 fps (it's my monitor Refresh Rate value), dropping to 40 fps at critical times.... getting a bit of stuttering only when using cluster bombs!

You switched from Analog to digital connection, which takes load of the VPU as it can simply send out the digital image through HDMI instead of having to convert it to an analog signal,

Analog is also susceptible to em field noise from electric devices which can cause picture distortions resembling but not limited to: static noise, wavy lines, wavy / smeared images, streakong shadows, rainbows, discoloration, fuzziness.

Also dropping AF from 16x to application controlled will cause a increase, as the default isnt anywhere near 16x.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Analog is also susceptible to em field noise from electric devices which can cause picture distortions resembling but not limited to: static noise, wavy lines, wavy / smeared images, streakong shadows, rainbows, discoloration, fuzziness.

True!

But we must expect field noise would cause troubles with all programs, not just and only with DCS World. Instead I was getting troubles only with DCS World, while with other games graphic was perfect and uninfluenced by using application controlled or GPU panel settings.

For me it was interesting to find out that troubles I was living with into DCS World have been fixed switching to digital connection.

HDMI is a good connection for 1080p displays. There are different speed rated cables which makes it confusing but any of the better ones today should handle 1080p/60hz

The other connection that is even better for PCs is DisplayPort. It's not as well known as HDMI but it's current version 1.2 is capable of handling 3840x2160/60hz which is the signal you'll want on a 4K display. HDMI on many monitors and TVs is limited to 3840x2160/30hz. That should change if they have an HDMI 2.0 connection but you need to check. I don't think TVs have DP connections.

Bottom line, check the speed rating of the cables you use. I can't say how many people I've seen with their new HDTVs connected by the wrong cable and how much improvement there is when using the right one.

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5