Impossible to fly for anyone else?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you roll the Su-27 the rudder moves which causes the nose to yaw. That's one reason it is weird. Don't know if the real jet does this but if it does it would be to increase stability and controllability not decrease it.

Would be better to turn that off.

I noticed this morning where an aileron roll is concerned that this is no longer the case. At least not in the track I watched. But I haven't tested further.

EDIT: This connection seems to have been removed.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I noticed this morning where an aileron roll is concerned that this is no longer the case. At least not in the track I watched. But I haven't tested further.

EDIT: This connection seems to have been removed.

That's interesting Ironhand, I've got DCS FC3 1.2.15 and in F2 outside view the rudder moves when the stick is moved to the side to roll. I might test a bit and see if it does it above mach 1 and if it is the same at all speeds.

Edit: Just tested in F2 outside view watching rear of plane. Stopped on runway no rudder movement. Up to about 600 knots rudder moves with roll. At about 300 knots quite a lot of rudder movement. Seems to reduce as speed increases.

Edited by 21stCenturyPilot

Ed

The rudder should move because of roll/yaw coupling, the problem with the Flanker seems to be it's not calibrated very well. The F-15 integrates roll and yaw much better, turn off F-15 yaw CAS and you get Su-27 like behavior. I think the question should be, is the real Su-27's calibration so bad?

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

There are a couple of reasons for doing this - it's basically a yaw control channel with an aileron-rudder-interconnect.

I don't know if the real flanker even has this (wouldn't be surprised one way or the other), but on the F-15 the purpose of this system is to remove un-commanded yaw, thus always keeping the aircraft coordinated. The result is a much more care-free flight.

Right now this feature isn't properly tuned in the Su-27, and I don't know if it's even supposed to have it.

If it doesn't have it, it's up to you to coordinate the aircraft.

That's interesting Ironhand, I've got DCS FC3 1.2.15 and in F2 outside view the rudder moves when the stick is moved to the side to roll. I might test a bit and see if it does it above mach 1 and if it is the same at all speeds.

Edit: Just tested in F2 outside view watching rear of plane. Stopped on runway no rudder movement. Up to about 600 knots rudder moves with roll. At about 300 knots quite a lot of rudder movement. Seems to reduce as speed increases.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I think a big part of why the SU-27 is so maneuverable, aside from its relaxed stability is the flight controls give you enough rope to hang yourself with. If you want to crank the stick at 350 km/h (only 188 kts), the elevators will respond.

Which I think is why the F-16 is known for its limited performance at low speeds. Even the great turning, relaxed stability, FBW jet has this problem because it has an AoA limiter at low speeds...presumably to prevent a single engined flameout frisbee.

I don't know what happened between my last post, but I currently have no problems taming this beast at the moment. It turns beautifully and I'm yet to get one of those dreaded inverted stalls after about 10 hours of flight time on the 104th server over the last couple of days. I'm simply treating it as early WW2 fighters and avoiding pulling negative Gs.

Edited by Erdem

I don't know what happened between my last post, but I currently have no problems taming this beast at the moment. It turns beautifully and I'm yet to get one of those dreaded inverted stalls after about 10 hours of flight time on the 104th server over the last couple of days. I'm simply treating it as early WW2 fighters and avoiding pulling negative Gs.

Avoiding negative G's is apparently part of standard Russian pilot training: pilots are taught to roll & pull +G to level the aircraft out from a climb or to enter a significant dive etc. Probably for good reason the Flanker hates negative G.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Standard fighter pilot training, not just Russian. -g brings serious disadvantages to your +g tolerance immediately, which is not modeled in game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Standard fighter pilot training, not just Russian. -g brings serious disadvantages to your +g tolerance immediately, which is not modeled in game.

Interesting, I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense. I know for a fact that years ago when I flew light prop training aircraft I used to really hate even slight negative G, whereas I'd be going up to ~ +5G without any G suit or equivalent.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Yep :-) it's a complex subject and there ARE people out there who train to take a lot of -g ... Certain aerobatic pilots. A bunch of them have also died trying to do some -g demos. According to certain studies the maximum tolerance is -5g, but this will leave you with headache and other fun stuff that you won't enjoy, loss of concentration, possible loss of consciousness.

More importantly for the fighter pilot, it causes barycardia (heart beats much slower), which among other physiological factors instantly destroys your +g tolerance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]