AIM-120D's new engine?

No well the missile is almost the same the only could things different is 1 like GG said its more resissnt to chaff, 2, i belive it goes a farther distance i could be wrong, the wings are clipped there more too but im a busy right now so i cant get the list down you can always google it if you really want too opfully they wont mess up this time =) mwhaha

hey guys quick kinda off topic question i have noticed that the aim-9 is the most effective missle for the US side. The 120 and 7 seem to track chaff way to easily. So i guess my question is, is this just something ive experienced or is it this way across the board??

It has barely entered service in US, wadda you mean?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

It has barely entered service in US, wadda you mean?

actually its been in service for about two or three years now and the navy had it before the air force. Either way the air force after using it for about a year, we began noticing different rail wear problems and so on. So bottom line is when the heck are we gonna need to use an aim-9x let alone a -9l/m so rather than spend millions of dollars on the -9x. we pretty much stopped using it. Also another quick note the aim-7 is going away as well. The whole point i got from the air force is that why use a 9 hwn you can use a 120. Besides i a actuallity the current aim-9 model works just fine.

50 % range increase ?

that sounds unbelievable but who knows...

Uh, why? It's getting a 50% bigger rocket engine thanks to the space freed up by electronicminiaturization of the guidance module and the fuze.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

actually its been in service for about two or three years now and the navy had it before the air force. Either way the air force after using it for about a year, we began noticing different rail wear problems and so on. So bottom line is when the heck are we gonna need to use an aim-9x let alone a -9l/m so rather than spend millions of dollars on the -9x. we pretty much stopped using it. Also another quick note the aim-7 is going away as well. The whole point i got from the air force is that why use a 9 hwn you can use a 120. Besides i a actuallity the current aim-9 model works just fine.

Uh, I don't know. When you're doing a VID and you determine you have a bandit, but you're way out parameters to launch the 120?

Or ANY time that you're out of parameters to launch the 120 in close range fights, which can happen easily enough in luberry etc?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

hey guys quick kinda off topic question i have noticed that the aim-9 is the most effective missle for the US side. The 120 and 7 seem to track chaff way to easily. So i guess my question is, is this just something ive experienced or is it this way across the board??

the Aim9 does not get spoofed by chaff because chaff is not used against IR MIssiles like the AIM9, therefore we have the Flare. Same as the AIM120 and Sparrow with the Flare, they dont get spoofed by it..

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

"Imagine the reason that people hold on to

hatred so stubbornly is because if the hate

is removed, the pain will set in. Do not follow where

the path may lead. Go instead where there is

no path and leave a trail."

and ps: Missiles like the Sidewinder-X are still a valid and reasonable investment. the IRIS-T is the best investment ;)

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

"Imagine the reason that people hold on to

hatred so stubbornly is because if the hate

is removed, the pain will set in. Do not follow where

the path may lead. Go instead where there is

no path and leave a trail."

The tapered tail is called a "boat-tail." It reduces the aerodynamic form drag. It's present also on other missiles and even artillery shells.

-SK

The bullets I reload use that also.

You can look in most reloading books, and see the different ballistic coefficients of different bullets of the same weight.

I cant recall, but I am thinking around .6 to .7 is pretty darn good for a bullet.

and ps: Missiles like the Sidewinder-X are still a valid and reasonable investment. the IRIS-T is the best investment ;)

Flip

i dont know i guess i fail to see the validiity of the missile. In the last 10 or even 15 years how many A/A kills where made and how many were with aim-9s. In this day and age the farther away you are the better therefore i see the -9x as a waste of maney and time.

the Aim9 does not get spoofed by chaff because chaff is not used against IR MIssiles like the AIM9, therefore we have the Flare. Same as the AIM120 and Sparrow with the Flare, they dont get spoofed by it..

Flip

ok so my guess is the AI uses chaff more than flare. it just seems as if the chaff is more effective i guess

i dont know i guess i fail to see the validiity of the missile. In the last 10 or even 15 years how many A/A kills where made and how many were with aim-9s. In this day and age the farther away you are the better therefore i see the -9x as a waste of maney and time.

IIRC, 10 kills - 8 by the USAF in Desert Storm, 1 post-Desert Storm in a friendly fire accident and 1 by the IAF over a Syrian MiG-29.

Ideally, you shouldn't need the AIM-9; in fact, I'm sure the F-22 would bug out once it goes winchester on AMRAAMs, but there's something to be said about preparing for every possible contingency ;)

ok so my guess is the AI uses chaff more than flare. it just seems as if the chaff is more effective i guess

Not more effective, no. In fact, in terms of absolute decoy rejection rate, I think the AIM-120 and R-77 in LOMAC are the most resilient of all missiles. It's just that the target has more time to release more chaff decoys in a typical radar missile engagement (i.e. ranges involved are much greater) compared to an engagement with heat-seeking missiles.

sigzk5.jpg

There used to be a similar thought process about having guns on fighters. (bah- who needs em??) Thankfully- that little myth went down the toilet when they found themselves in exactly the situation they assumed would never happen again.

well guns on fighters is back at the bah who needs them stage and in all honesty do we really need them??

Guns will be needed any time that a VID will be necesary or a close ambush/engagement is forced by terrain.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Uh, why? It's getting a 50% bigger rocket engine thanks to the space freed up by electronicminiaturization of the guidance module and the fuze.

Are you kidding me? It is a 12ft missile.

You can easily add an FX-60 system inside the missile without noticing anything.

BTW, you don’t need that many chips to let to do that missile his job (Even in the early 90’s).

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Are you kidding me? It is a 12ft missile.

You can easily add an FX-60 system inside the missile without noticing anything.

BTW, you don’t need that many chips to let to do that missile his job (Even in the early 90’s).

Yeah? Ever built one? Have a clue as to what sort of processing hardware is needed? Maybe you didn't realize that the 'general purpose PC processor' just isn't enough for the work required? Maybe additional processors are needed, like DSPs, etc? Maybe there's also parts of the radar which need to actually -be- of a certain size and shape to function correctly, and there was a breakthrough that allowed miniaturization? Maybe 'electronics' is more than just what's in your PC? ;) Ever wandered /seen how much space the computer hardware onboard a fighter takes up? A SAM station?

The actual, factual reason reason for the space increase and this the ability to add a bigger rocket is the miniaturization of hardware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing
Guns will be needed any time that a VID will be necesary or a close ambush/engagement is forced by terrain.

Which, currently, is almost always required by ROE. Guns are staying, until they replace them with short-range LOS plasma weapons of some type...and even THEN, I wouldn't be surprised to see a good, old-fashion cannon of some type installed in the aircraft of ANY Air Force that expects to be taken seriously. :D

Guest IguanaKing

Beast, rail wear problems? Does that mean the 9X is active and guiding before it even leaves the rail?

D-Scythe, that D photo is pretty distorted, and its an inert weapon anyway...hence the blue stripes. ;)

50% greater range? Its definitely possible with improvements in propellant.