0.02$ question: Will Ka-50 be able to land on Kuznetsov?

Yeah, you can land pretty much anywhere you want, even on MOVING trains. I've done it lots of times :thumbup: It's fun.

Ermm... Any movie? :music_whistling:

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Yeah, you can land pretty much anywhere you want, even on MOVING trains. I've done it lots of times :thumbup: It's fun.

What about the bridges? or can we also jettison the rotor blades without ejecting? :P

Well, you sure can't do it with the su-25t.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Ermm... Any movie? :music_whistling:

Actually , he did make one doing excactly that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Zuki" Resident mud mover

CH HOTAS untill it breaks(for life)!

Not affiliated with any "squad":thumbup:

Landing on bridges...?? No problem! ;)

Try landing on those small busses and trucks that drives around. You have to stand on 1 or 2 wheels though, lol :P

Damn Glowing, Brag on :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im jealous kenan you have 70% on your warning meter and i dont have anything. How long do I have to post here to get some stinking warning on my meter ....:D

All you have to do is be an idiot, some excel more than others in that area.

Landing on bridges...?? No problem! ;)

Try landing on those small busses and trucks that drives around. You have to stand on 1 or 2 wheels though, lol :P

Can you really do this?

is this ok?

. . . . . question best directed to Alfa - do the Russkies still have helicopter carriers?

If you mean carriers specifically for helicopters then no - and it has been a quite long time since they did :) .

Basically the "aviation cruiser" concept started with the Pr. 1123 "Kondor" class of ships(two vessels - "Moskva" and "Leningrad") which were large(~20,000 tons of displacement) ASW cruisers with an "oversized" helo pad at the stern:

moskva-DNST8204653.JPG

The "Moskva"

.....and could accomodate some 14 Ka-25 ASW helicopters. But these two vessels have long since been scrapped - hence the reason why there now is a Slava class cruiser by that name :) .

The four Kiev class vessels that followed have also all been scrapped except the fourth and last - the "Admiral Gorshkov" which, as you know, currently is in the process of being modified for the Indian navy in connection with their purchase of the ship/MiG-29K fighters.

However, you could argue that all aviation cruiser designs - including the Kuznetsov - have a "helicopter carrier" element to them in the sense that they were designed to accomodate a large contingent of helicopters, but in all cases these were carried specifically for ASW duties on the large oceans.......so if your question was in connection with the Ka-50, the answer would be that the Russians never had assault ship-style of helicopter carriers like the USMC operates for CAS/landing operations.

Further question - does humancockpit=yes now work for choppers as well?

Yes it does, but it does not work as well as for AI fixed wing aircraft - e.g. I have tried it with the Ka-27 and although you can fly it, you cannot land it........it will sink through the ground/ship and continiue to the lock-on underworld :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Guest IguanaKing

Yup...I think the relative military designs of both countries had, and STILL HAS a great deal to do with the jobs expected of us both in WWII. It was shown in post-war design and force deployment doctrine. The US had a "we are geographically isolated, so we should concentrate on long range AND being able to do the job with very few aircraft...we have time." Russia had the philosophy of "We will be defending our homeland again, against enemies very near to us, so our equipment must be effective, and able to cope with the harshest of environmental conditions. It must also be quick and easy to manufacture, since many of our factories will also be direct targets."

Yup...I think the relative military designs of both countries had, and STILL HAS a great deal to do with the jobs expected of us both in WWII. It was shown in post-war design and force deployment doctrine. The US had a "we are geographically isolated, so we should concentrate on long range AND being able to do the job with very few aircraft...we have time." Russia had the philosophy of "We will be defending our homeland again, against enemies very near to us, so our equipment must be effective, and able to cope with the harshest of environmental conditions. It must also be quick and easy to manufacture, since many of our factories will also be direct targets."

Yes I think there is a lot of truth to that.

The Soviet naval strategy was to pin the majority of their naval power on submarines and the task for the "aviation cruisers" was quite exclusively to assist the subs on the open oceans and keep them alive. This is very evident with the above mentioned early "Kondor" class, but it actually remained the case with the following Kiev- and Kuznetsov-class designs......although the latter may look deceptively like a US style aircraft carrier :)

- JJ.

JJ

Guest IguanaKing

Yup...and US Marine Corps and Navy doctrine was very much about another invasion of Okinawa and how we can use our technology, on very much the same ships, to minimize enemy resistance and minimize casualties. BTW...that invasion in 1945 accounted for an alarmingly HUGE percentage of total US casualties in WWII (On an island 60 miles from end to end)...so MC and Navy doctrine often looks to that history lesson for design considerations.

Alfa, my apologies for past conflicts with you. Direct conflict was never my intention, but it just happened that way I guess. I extend the olive branch to you, brother.

So basically, we will be having online missions with pack of KA-50's on the Kuz, supported with SU33's.

Cool. :)

BTW, we had a close 504th session tonight and I realised those choppers are damn hard to spot on radar unless there's EWR around. Won't be that easy to track them at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

So basically, we will be having online missions with pack of KA-50's on the Kuz, supported with SU33's.

Cool. :)

BTW, we had a close 504th session tonight and I realised those choppers are damn hard to spot on radar unless there's EWR around. Won't be that easy to track them at all.

. . . . . Sounds good, we'll have to be clever with the spawn points though.

Not sure if I'd rather fly a '33 or a Ka50 in that scenario . . . . now there's a tough decision!

Although if some rumblings I hear are accurate, there may be a third, perhaps slightly more attractive option thrown into the mix there . . . . . grin.

Um ... like what?

In any case, an F-15C can see a helo's spinning rotors, on the ground, from 50nm away using the AA radar (not AG). This isn't implemented in LOMAC currently, but for the sake of accuracy, hopefuly it will be.

Mind you ... this doesn't mean -all- aircraft can see them ...have gotten some mixed replies from F-16 pilots ... so perhaps radar set differences count.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Dude. everyone knows the Black Shark has Stealth, is Mach 1.5 capable, has afterburners, and a versatile extendable turret, plus missile pods. The crew wears grey bike helmets, and is very good, as is the cokcpit, with state of the art wireframe 3d animations, running on a 33Mhz CPU and a 512kb Graphic adapter.

Too bad its only weakness is the mighty laser.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Dude. everyone knows the Black Shark has Stealth, is Mach 1.5 capable, has afterburners, and a versatile extendable turret, plus missile pods. The crew wears grey bike helmets, and is very good, as is the cokcpit, with state of the art wireframe 3d animations, running on a 33Mhz CPU and a 512kb Graphic adapter.

Too bad its only weakness is the mighty laser.

. . . . . . heh.

Heh, heh, heh.

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/homage/

It's relevant, trust me. Keep watching.

Um ... like what?

When Alfa, in the midst of a threat about naval stuff, says he's going to put off remaking his Navy Mod until v1.2 because there'll be some tweaks in there which will make it better . . . . . and then winks . . . . . I consider that a fairly big hint to SOMETHING . . . . . . . ;)