Taking off in the Su-25T

Hey guys, I'm trying to fly the Su-25T campaign. The only problem is that I can't take off without one of my engines catching fire (I use full throttle). I tried turning the autopilot on, but it just sits on the ground fiddling with the elevators. Can someone please tell me how to either take off in the Su-25T, or how to get the autopilot working?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi.

Welcome to the forums! Nah, you shouldn't need autopilot to take off. And full throttle is fine. My only guess is that you're rotating (pulling the nose off the runway) too late. What speed are you doing this?

I'm also wondering what the "Birds" setting is set at. This is on the "Gameplay" tab of the options screen. If you have this jacked up, you have a high chance of bird collisions. I have mine set to 100 but it can go to 1000.

Hi.

Welcome to the forums! Nah, you shouldn't need autopilot to take off. And full throttle is fine. My only guess is that you're rotating (pulling the nose off the runway) too late. What speed are you doing this?

I'm at school at the moment, so I'll check when I get home. I think I am rotating too late; what's the best speed to rotate at?

I'm also wondering what the "Birds" setting is set at. This is on the "Gameplay" tab of the options screen. If you have this jacked up, you have a high chance of bird collisions. I have mine set to 100 but it can go to 1000.

Huh, I didn't even realise that this was an option, thanks for the heads up :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Your engines should not just catch fire, full throttle is fine for takeoff. Check the birdstrike setting in options.

I'm not to sure but i think 250kph should be a good speed to take off in the SU-25 (depending on load ofcourse). Also use flaps when you have a heavy load. The SU-25 can take quite a long while to get up to speed when you have a very heavy load.

You will have an engine fire if you start the engines with the throttles forward.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

When the Toad is armed and fueled up to its teeth you step on the brake FIRST, go full thottle, release brakes when the frame moves, accelerate down the strip to 280km/h and then GENTLY pull the nose....it will follow your stick, dont pull too hard, allow it catch the stream and lift up.

Once the nose is up at around 290-295km/h you keep on accelerating just as you are until the bird sets itself free and climbs.

Gently raise the nose to 15°, climb out, gear in, flaps in at 400, full flaps in at 450, done

It's a fantastic bird, among them all it is still among the top 3 birds for combat in DCS online.

and its FREE..... that is A W E S O M E !!!!!!!!!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I think I also have an idea of your potential culprit.

In your graphics options, what is "birds" set to?

When I first installed DCS, I turned it up to 1000. I thought to myself "sweet, I will see 1000 birds flying around!"

In actuality, this sets the probability of a simulated bird strike vs. statistical likelihood of a bird strike.

So, my "1000 birds" actually meant a 1000% likelihood of a bird strike. Suffice to say, they happened quite frequently. :lol: If you don't know what the simulated bird strikes in DCS are like, it will seem like your engine is randomly catching fire as you are taking off or flying at low altitude.

• 3 weeks later...
It's from a single player mission, called 'A Long Day' or something like that.

Ah, I think this has been regarded as a bug in that mission for a long time. I never knew you could get around it by changing loadout. What change did you make?