Seeking P-51 cockpit dimensions

toxaq

Hi all, my google-fu has failed me and normally I'm the goto-guy for googling. Can anyone point me in the direction of some accurate measurements for gauge spacing (and gauge sizes) for the P-51? I've found complete blueprints for the P-51 on eBay but that seems a little overkill for the info I'm looking for.

Wow Raceguy! That's awesome!! I think I found some of your work posted somewhere else on the net, you're using a local (to me) supplier?

I'm after the dash (main panel) measurements at the moment, so if you had those, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. This project has taken on a life of its own as those of you that have built pits know can happen.

I ordered the blueprints for the Mustang and waded through 12,500 pages looking for details. The items I wanted most for the P-51D version were poor quality or missing. The prints are copyrighted so posting here would not be a good idea.

toxaq, I had http://www.ruscool.co.nz/index.html in New Zealand make the MIP. I think they did a great job.

Here is what I sent John at ruscool.

MIP%20dimensions2.jpg

I told them the largest gauge is 3.125 inches and from that they determined the other gauge sizes. They created a master print for me to approve then they cut the MIP on their CNC machine.

I hope this helps.

Ed

Edited by Raceguy

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised.

Wow, they built that from that little info?? Incredible! Thanks for that info, that is really handy. Are you writing a thread on your build on this forum? I think I favourited your other build thread at some point...

No idea on copyright. I would've thought that this would come under fair use. I can never work out who the people are on eBay and what rights they have to sell the designs? Considering the design is in the open and there are thousands of RC models and static models that use the design (I assume royalty free) I can't work out what the ramifications are... it's not like anyone is building P-51s in competition with the copyright holders! :)

toxag, I did offer to help so I unwrapped my MIP, it's not installed yet, and took some measurements. You should be able to determine what measurement goes with what gauge.

I hope this helps.

Ed

All in inches

Inside Outside

3 7/8 5 X 5 ½

3 5 X 5 ½

2 7/8 3 1/8

2 2 3/8

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised.

You too @Cripple? I've got the first parts of DCS-BIOS working for the P-51 too, so will release those once I'm done.

Aye, Spitfire for me though... :D

Considered the P-51... until I heard the Spit was imminent(-ish). She's always been my first love, and parts for her are easier to get over this side of the pond. Slow-but-steady build log on here - link in my sig.

Have you considered scaling up a set of large scale (1/4 or 1/5th scale) model plans?

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

beautiful work man! I"ll keep an eye on this thread. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys! Not sure if I should be posting here or a new thread but I'm looking for P51 dimensions too.

I run Oculus Rift so my cockpit build will be about accurate placement of my switches and other controls and not about aesthetics or gauges since they don't matter with the Virtual Reality headset on.

I'm not sure how far I'm going to go with this build but you know how it goes =D.

Anyhow, what I need are dimensions for the cockpit in general, to build a tub. Anyone able to help or tell me whether or not those paid services will do a good job of giving me the info I need?

Thanks!

Trip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

I don't have a link handy but the P-51 is one of the most documented WWII aircraft. It should not be difficult to find the details that you wish.

This is just one of my books on that aircraft.

2016-12-20%2023.08.51_zpsjwvkoi9h.jpg

Besides the pics, it is a fascinating read, at least if you are an engineer. Perhaps others would find it boring.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I have a grip from a P-51 and dabble in casting, any interest in replica grips cast in black resin?

Sup Trip o7

Okona! Fancy meeting you here LOL. The original is plastic isn't it? I would be interested if the price was right =). Been looking on ebay in fact but this is very much a side project and I'm very much broke at the moment. =P

Still testing and tuning but check it out my friend!

Thank you for talking me into going 6DOF, even if I will be paying off credit cards for the next few years as a result. =P

I'm using FAR less than the full range of motion, big motion looks cooler but smaller movements feel better in VR. I crashed on landing yesterday and wound up inverted and for a second I would have sworn I was hanging upside down if I didn't know better LOL.

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I subscribed to air corps library and as I feared it's going to be difficult to impossible for me to get what I'm looking for. Tons of details on individual parts but what I want is dimensions of assemblies mostly.

How wide is the canopy at the bottom? How high off the floor is the bottom of the canopy assembly? How far forward from the seat back are the pedals/flaps handle/trim knobs/etc.

Ideally I think I want scale cross sections of the assembled cockpit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just wanted to follow up here, I've decided that for now I'm going to work on an A-10C cockpit instead of the P-51 because I became convinced that I'll be spending more time in the Warthog. I will quite possibly still build the P-51 rig after the 'hog.

What convinced me? The general enthusiasm for the A10 in this community and the available campaigns.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]