Backing up control bindings

USA_Recon

Update, here is what I found out myself so far,,, I stated above that my P-51D control inputs did not save as my other modules did, and none of my mouse profiles saved for any module.

I just restored back to take a look at those profiles, and what I found is that although in the past, I did extensive work on configuring the P-51D controls, they are no longer there for some reason. I have not flow the P-51 for well over 1 to 2 years I suspect, so somewhere along the way, they got overwritten. And the conclusion I have come to so far is that if there are any columns that have not been modified, and stayed default, they will not save. That is the reason why I could not find my P-51 and mouse profiles, I went through the save process, but when I clicked ok, the file simply did not get generated.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Ok,, I just did a restore back to 9-1-13 when I last had the P-51D controls setup. I saved all the columns for the P-51D, I also took a peek at the saved games/DCS/Config/Inputs/P-51D files. These are .lua files only, not .diff.lua files.

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals {E18BBD30-7DCF-11e2-8001-444553540000}.lua

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar {73AF6370-E392-11e1-8001-444553540000}.lua

Hmmm so what to do here? I will 1st try and load saved profiles within DCS Options/Controls and see what happens,,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Can someone do me a solid and post the consensus on this?

A quick bullet point like you're explaining it to a 3rd grader would be awesome!

Thanks!

OK, no offence but you have to read this carefully. I start with an explanation but if you don't want to understand how it works just read the next paragraph then go to FIXIT below.

When you make a change to controls under Options... Controls... Aircraft type and then click OK the settings are saved for you in \Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\[aircraft_name]\[Controller type]

for example:

C:\Users\Dad\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\P-51D\joystick\ << this may have a number of files depending on how many controllers you have.

C:\Users\Dad\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\P-51D\keyboard\

C:\Users\Dad\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\P-51D\mouse\

Actually what is saved are the differences you have made to the 'master' settings file under the aircraft type in the main game folder. If you didn't make any changes to one of your controllers, keyboard or mouse there may be no 'difference' file created for it. If you did the filename will contain a controller ID, see following Example.

Example: Here is the file-name for my X52 differences file in the \joystick\ folder:

Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System {233BAC60-F428-11e4-8006-444553540000}.diff.lua

Put simply, that {233BAC60-F428-11e4-8006-444553540000} part is the controllers Identity on your PC and is related to the USB port.

If you have made changes to your system, and sometimes if you unplug your USB controller, maybe plug something else into that USB port and then plug your USB controller back in, or if you simply move your USB controller to another USB port, that {........} ID can change. Therefore when you start DCS it will look for a differences file with the new controller ID which it will not find because the file has the old ID in the title.

FIXIT:

You can fix this one of two ways but you need to have saved your old differences files (BY THE WAY you can also save these difference files while in Options... Controls to another location as well, for safety, with the 'Save Profile As' button:

1. Go to your Options....Controls settings for the aircraft. Click in a controller column and click the 'Load Profile' button, then navigate to where you saved your old differences files. Select the appropriate controller file, the filename should contain the name of the controller (yes, it has the old {....} in the filename but it doesn't matter). As soon as you have reloaded it click OK. You will be kicked out of Options to the Main Menu and the file will be saved to, for example:

C:\Users\Dad\Saved Games\DCS\Config\[P-51D]\[joystick]\

in a filename with your new controller ID as explained above. Re-enter Options and do any other controls you may have. You could also take the opportunity do a Save Profile to a safe folder for your next system failure :)

OR

2. Make any change you like to each controller in DCS and click OK. It doesn't matter what you change but do each controller that you want to end up mapped like it used to be. This should create a new differences file for the controller(s) with a name to suit the new USB {....} ID.

Copy your old files - for safety - and then rename the copies with the same {.....} ID as is now appearing in the new joystick or keyboard differences files. Then delete those new files and paste the copies of the old files with the new {....} names into the folders. DCS should pick them up when you restart the game.

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

WOW! Very nice job! Now I understand a few things better,, I only read it once, will have to read again to fully absorb, but thanks a lot.

The only thing I don't see mentioned is the older file format which were all .lua files, the new formats are .dif.lua. I have not attempted this yet but I just restored back to 2013 and saved some older profiles that are only .lua, and I'm going to attempt now to load them on the new fresh install,, any comments on that? Thanks

...I just restored back to 2013 and saved some older profiles that are only .lua, and I'm going to attempt now to load them on the new fresh install,, any comments on that? Thanks

It will not work. They are not compatible with the current version of the sim.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

that kinda sux now don't it!

that kinda sux now don't it!

When v1.2.8 was released, it was announced that any saved profiles from earlier version of the sim would not work. That was over a year ago so everyone has had plenty of time to adapt.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I wont dispute that, I read so much, I do miss some stuff, that was one of them! Its odd though that I did not save any of my A-10C, or KA-50 or Huey over the years, and they are intact, but the P-51 is not? Might have something to do perhaps with I fly them, just haven't done so since 2013 on the P-51

Just so I am clear, If I restore back to just prior to the 1.2.8 version and save those profiles,, good or no good? and do you happen to know the release date? Thanks

No matter what you do, profiles saved from a version before v1.2.8 (which came out around May 2014), will not work with a version v1.2.8 or later.

ok,, thanks for the clarification. My best hope is to restore back to when DCS was updated to 1.2.8 and see if the controls are intact for the P-51

I've been told control bindings can get messed up with patches, etc... and I've been wanting to try out the DCS beta but I want to make sure my bindings don't get messed up.

What is the correct and best practice for backing up control settings to make sure they don't get lost/overwritten - including when new patches come out.

Additionally, what is best way to install the beta and switch back and forth without worry of losing bindings ?

Thanks in advance !!!

I have two external hard drives I use to backup my Alienware PC. One is a My Book, the other a Toshiba. Plus I suppose my two RAID 0 hard drives to my Alienware is in effect a backup if one went bad.

I have CH Products controllers. I use the CH Control Manager to setup my controllers and is a separate entity from my DCS World install. I backup my CH Control Manager's maps and control files separately, and update backups as necessary. I also make a complete copy of my DCS World-Modded directory and back that up also as necessary.

Separately I made a copy of my DCS World install to my PC and label it, DCS World-Modded. This directory is what I operate from, but not the Beta, that is part of the original installed directory. All my mods and unmodded stuff is in my DCS World-Modded directory. And I back-up this directory to my external hard drives.

Overkill? I suppose so.

I have yet, needed to do a major backup reinstall of any of my 3 PCs dating back at least 10 years. But I still play it safe --- I hope! I have never had to do the procedure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Plus I suppose my two RAID 0 hard drives to my Alienware is in effect a backup if one went bad.

Actually not correct. With RAID 0, if you lose one drive then you lose the whole thing. There is no redundancy in RAID 0.

EDIT: RAID 0 is for speed not safety.

Edited by cichlidfan