What is "Tracking Mode"?

vicx

Automatic deflection shooting for moving targets (If you're using a cannon)

How to use it:

1: Turn it on

2: Use the rangefinder

3: Track the target twith your reticle

4: Shoot

5: Immediately fall in love with this feature :D

• Like 1

Все буде добре

I checked it out with the M1A1. You put the cross on the thing you want dead, get the range with laser and you press the trigger to deadify. Uses automatic weapon tracking which of course the M1A1 has IRL.

This feature doesn't work for the Tunguska (also has computed tracking) but I think I can fix that by modding a compatible range finder into the unit. If it works I'll post the LUA.

*Update* Got it working and it makes the Tunguska more like the killer it should be (still not good enough to shoot down cruise missiles) .. anyway Add GT.WS[ws].laser = true; and __LN.distanceMaxForFCS = 31337; to anything you think should have a fire control system to augment the meatbag at the controls.

Edited by vicx
update

Is it normal that the aimcircle is flipping around like crazy when moving the turret?

The FCS uses your input as part of the lead calculations. If your input is shaky ... your calculated point will be shaky. You still need some skill to aim.Bind joystick axii to control the turret for best results.

Over time maybe we will get alternative FCS systems ... but this one works this way.

Edited by vicx

it's nigh impossible to use on the move, since you have to keep moving the turret.

It's way easier to use the old system of rangefinder and shooting at the lead indicator.

EDIT: never mind, if you are using the mouse using the alternative cursor mode is pretty much required, hopefully ED can make it work for both modes.

Edited by karambiatos

it's nigh impossible to use on the move, since you have to keep moving the turret.

It's way easier to use the old system of rangefinder and shooting at the lead indicator.

EDIT: never mind, if you are using the mouse using the alternative cursor mode is pretty much required, hopefully ED can make it work for both modes.

I use my joystick and I have no problems hitting moving targets this way. On average I need two shots to hit a target. :joystick:

Все буде добре

I use my joystick and I have no problems hitting moving targets this way. On average I need two shots to hit a target. :joystick:

I don't like using the joystick for CA, since CA is mostly my "I'm too lazy too set up the joystick" part of DCS

Razo+r, If you are using a FCS Fire Control System you don't need to use an aiming helper (the circle). Get rid of the helper by UNTARGETING (backspace on the keyboard).

It is natural for the gun barrels to move and adjust when sighting but in a real systems they might only be adjusted for range at the moment of firing. Depends on system.

If you want to play with the Tunguska (using laser mod)

• Turn on the FCS
  • Track target very smoothly - use the red arrow mode of the mouse or use a thumbwheel throttle axis. The tracking movement MUST be perfectly smooth.
  • While tracking smoothly press "L" (get laser range) this will adjust the gun barrels to match the target range
  • Fire!

Using the laser mod we approximate the Optical Tracking Mode of the Tunguska.

From Wikipedia

The Tunguska can fire its cannons in two primary modes of operation, radar and optical. In radar mode, the target tracking is fully automatic, with the guns aimed using data from the radar. In optical mode, the gunner tracks the target through the 1A29 stabilized sight, with the radar providing range data.

Also I found some Lua code which ED has commented out for now which lets the FCS mode use a Tracking Radar instead of a Laser. This is exactly what we want for units like the Tunguska and others - BUT it is not enabled in DCS 1.5 yet. Finally it looks like ED will get rid of the aiming helper for ground units which are meant to have an FCS. It will be more realistic and more closely resemble the behaviour of the actual FCS systems. Very cool ED.

Edited by vicx
details

Also I found some Lua code which ED has commented out for now which lets the FCS mode use a Tracking Radar instead of a Laser. This is exactly what we want for units like the Tunguska and others - BUT it is not enabled in DCS 1.5 yet. Finally it looks like ED will get rid of the aiming helper for ground units which are meant to have an FCS. It will be more realistic and more closely resemble the behaviour of the actual FCS systems. Very cool ED.

Nice! CA is finally starting to get some well-deserved love

Все буде добре

• 1 month later...

I still get no point.

If I use FCS (tracking green text on screen), then I lock target. Get distance info via laser command.

And then what? I still need to manually aim my cannon in the middle of the circle (it is called helper I think) and fire.

I do the same without FCS and still kill target.

I see no difference here...

There is also bad thing when switching from cursor modes.

Let's say I am scoping target on. I use normal mode and move my mouse steady. During movement I change mouse mode to this red arrow. And at this moment the speed of aiming is reset to 0.

I need to again take my aim over the target which moved away because I had to re-speed my cursor one more time.

When changing cursor modes, the speed of mouse should be same, if we move mouse on screen with speed 10 pixels per second, after changing mode it shouldn't stop to zero.

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I think you don't quite understand how the arrow aiming mode works, you don't use it on and off you use it constantly, because it allows you to have a continuous slew.

If I use FCS (tracking green text on screen), then I lock target. Get distance info via laser command.

And then what? I still need to manually aim my cannon in the middle of the circle (it is called helper I think) and fire.

I do the same without FCS and still kill target.

No this is incorrect.

You should not be using the game mode feature that is the circle. Maybe you normally lock a target using ENTER (keyboard key for "lock"). Don't do this anymore for vehicles that have FCS.

Do not use the circle.

Make the circle go away using BACKSPACE (keyboard key for "unlock")

Now without the circle to help you ... engage the target.

Turn the FCS "Tracking Mode" ON

Smoothly keep the crosshair on the target

Lase the target ... press "L"

The next round you shoot should be adjusted to hit where you aim and take into factor the tracking motion input. IF you track smoothly the target the shot will automatically LEAD the target.

===

Also maybe your shooting scenario is too easy. Put a HUMVEE going 80mph left to right at a range of 1km or more and see of you can hit him without the circle helper. Use only the FCS.

Tried it, don't know if it worked as supposed to work.

It is worse than circle... much worse :P

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ