Nose wheel steering and rpm level

ricktoberfest

I've noticed that in the 1.5 beta that if your engine rpm level is too low than various things don't work properly (flaps, brakes, NWS)

My question is if this is correct behavior for the NWS. It seems silly that you have to rev the engine just to steer- especially since it's hydraulics doing the work. The hydraulic pressure seems to be in the normal range at idle rpm. Oh get that the pump needs electricity but if the pressure is high enough it should still work.

I've noticed that in the 1.5 beta that if your engine rpm level is too low than various things don't work properly (flaps, brakes, NWS)

My question is if this is correct behavior for the NWS. It seems silly that you have to rev the engine just to steer- especially since it's hydraulics doing the work. The hydraulic pressure seems to be in the normal range at idle rpm. Oh get that the pump needs electricity but if the pressure is high enough it should still work.

See the product pages:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/sabre/?PAGEN_1=3

Utility System is powered by an engine driven pump, not the electrical pump. It drives the NWS and brakes.

If you pay very close attention to the utility system diagram, you'll also spot it has no accumulator as part of normal operations (unlike primary and secondary), so operation of the system is very much reliant on the engine pump.

The accumulator it does have is behind two one way check valves and is solely for emergency use to lower the nose gear.

To be honest idle in the F86 is quite low, you need at least 50%+ to have the generator kick in and I suspect similar is required to maintain a decent pressure in the utility hydro system.

That makes sense, but if the hydraulic pressure is too low to operate flaps/NWS, would that not be reflected in the hydraulic pressure gauge? In my experience it appears to stay in the green regardless of engine RPM.

I mostly fly the F-18, and mostly as a flight sim rather than a combat sim.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR4 3600, Valve Index

TM Stick/Throttle, Saitek Pedals, VAICOM

Don't have the F-86, so I can't check this. If you switch the hydraulic pressure gauge selector to Utility, does it maintain pressure in that system at idle? To check the pressure of each of the independent hydraulic systems, you have to use the switch next to the hydraulic pressure gauge.

If the hydraulic gauge show 3000 that noseshould turn no matter the rpm of the aircraft.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Most hydraulic pumps are constant speed drives.

Yes, but like any constant speed drive, it's only constant speed within a certain input range.

Someone will have look into the specific pump on the F86 to see if it has a minimum speed that's higher than the engine's normal idle speed or not. Probably not, but you never know.

Riiiight, just had a play with this.

There's definitely a strong dependancy on engine RPM vs Utility System pressure currently in the sim.

Around 50% or so and NWS was draining it heavily, upping the RPM to ~70% and the pressure was simply not going down.

Does anyone know if the utility pump is actually supposed to be a constant speed drive or not? Might have found a small bug if it is.

Approx 54% RPM holds at about 2050 PSI when doing nothing, well into the yellow range.

Edited by Buzzles

Generator on line cue.

When the Radar Inverter Warning Light goes out, the generator is online, around 45% power.

Don't give me a P-38,

The props they counter-rotate,

They're battered and smitten from Burma to Britain.

Oh, give me operations way out on some lonely atoll,

For I am too young to die, I just want to grow old.

From "THE WILD BLUE YONDER"

by Oscar Brand and The Roger Wilco Four