Formation Lights

There are lots of these on planes

Navigation lights, position lights, strobe lights, taxi lights, landing lights (gear lights), formation lights (which should work with nightvision googles as well).

Su-25T is using some new 3D model format that actually has something to do with new way of drawing nav lights in LockOn engine. I'm sure we'll see these new lights on all new heli models when 1.2 comes out.

I guess you are asking for those, right?

Form2a.jpg

As far I know these [true] formation tape lights are not visible at distances. Pilots can also control their brightness.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I think he was asking for those formation lights (the green strip lights). As you said, pilot controlled brightness. Would help a lot in formation flying at night. The strips are visible on the aircraft, but they have no illumination at the moment.

i agree the nav lights are terrible - su25t

we need strobes on the jets....,few times i have nearly hit planes at night

not seeing them near base, once in air away from home plate

turn off the lights for combat mode like the real pilots

i agree...awful :(...impossible 2 see another planes...except if it's very close

but in IL2...great ! ...have U ever tried ?...lights in the night (on planes) R much more better/visible

• Like 1

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

I think he was asking for those formation lights (the green strip lights). As you said, pilot controlled brightness. Would help a lot in formation flying at night. The strips are visible on the aircraft, but they have no illumination at the moment.

They are illuminated (tape formation lights), and they work in LockOn! Only on US planes though and you have no control over them. They are on by default and dissapear from view over ~200m.

Problem is navigation lights on old models are not visible over 200m.

tail# 44 or 444

I'll post a screenshot, give me few minutes.

okey, here they are:

http://www.dreadwolf.republika.pl/images/ScreenShot_027.jpg

http://www.dreadwolf.republika.pl/images/ScreenShot_028.jpg

http://www.dreadwolf.republika.pl/images/ScreenShot_029.jpg

tape formation lights in LockOn, on F-18, F-14

you'll find them on other planes as well...

like I said you'll start to see them in when you are about 200m or closer.

tail# 44 or 444

Somebody said a while ago that the Russian jets didn't have strobes, I find it hard to believe, they sure do have beacons and positioning lights in real life. About the strobes I'm not sure, but it would be strange if they really did lack them.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

I'll post a screenshot, give me few minutes.

okey, here they are:

http://www.dreadwolf.republika.pl/images/ScreenShot_027.jpg

http://www.dreadwolf.republika.pl/images/ScreenShot_028.jpg

http://www.dreadwolf.republika.pl/images/ScreenShot_029.jpg

tape formation lights in LockOn, on F-18, F-14

you'll find them on other planes as well...

like I said you'll start to see them in when you are about 200m or closer.

Ok, ok, I will give you those. But I fly the ground pounders, so I very rarely get to fly in formation with an F18 (by rarely I mean never have).

Since the 25T doesnt have them, I was limiting my experience to the A-10. The hog has them, they are visible in day time, but I don't think I have ever seen them lit up at night. Again, I am happy for you to prove me wrong, but I can't ever recolect flying in formation in the dark in an A-10 and seeing my online wingmen/lead with lit formation stips.

Somebody said a while ago that the Russian jets didn't have strobes,

they have beacons ,not strobes look at the su25t they flash like that, and that speed

on the russian jets ....

us jets have nav lights beacons and strobes and strip lights on some off them...

check my site out

http://alamai10.hollosite.com/archers%20site/

this video if you look really careful you can see the slow flashing off the russian light beacon system on the jets, so the dev team have got the su25t nearly spot on , just need the other jets done like that

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Sukhoi_Su-27-Airline_Russia_-_Air_Force_Aviation_Video-3363.html

flash very slow, alternate red green red green , also the tail white beacon flashes as well

very slow, the su25t in game stays steady?

if any 1 can find other footage off russian su27 33 mig su25t lighting systems post up guys....

Guest IguanaKing

Not sure about Russian procedure with light usage, but on US aircraft the beacon is generally only used on the ground. It is actually there for the purpose of warning others on the ground that your engines are running, and isn't usually used in flight. :D Oh...and IRL...don't use strobes in clouds...unless you have a death wish. The vertigo they create with an optical illusion is pretty crazy, and dangerous.

BTW...the slime lights are designed NOT to be detected beyond a certain distance.

Not sure about Russian procedure with light usage, but on US aircraft the beacon is generally only used on the ground. It is actually there for the purpose of warning others on the ground that your engines are running, and isn't usually used in flight. :D Oh...and IRL...don't use strobes in clouds...unless you have a death wish. The vertigo they create with an optical illusion is pretty crazy, and dangerous.

BTW...the slime lights are designed NOT to be detected beyond a certain distance.

But .. they are visible in tactical formations .. which is why they exist.

Uhm ... tactical formations are flown 4000-6000 feet apart, that was never a secret, as far as I can recall ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Guest IguanaKing

Oops...LOL...that's not what I meant. I was talking about the post in this thread that said, in-game, that they didn't seem to be visible beyond 200 meters. That sounds about right to me, but it might not be. Didn't mean to suggest that it was a secret. :D

Well... not quite. :) The beacon is part of the "see and avoid" part of flying around, especially in high traffic areas such as - practically anywhere in CONUS. We routinely use the beacon depending on where we are in the formation. Lead doesn't use it because it causes problems for the other formation members, during night ops. However, during day ops, the're pretty benign things and I've never had any problems with a flashing red beacon. However a white strobe would indeed be a problem.

Formation lights are visible in tactical formations (wall, etc.).

• Like 1