Advice for Nevada flights

DoctorStrop

Hi,

I can fly Ka-50 fairly well over Georgia, however when flying over Nevada I keep suffering engine failures, usually the right engine goes first, and it's the hydraulics that causes it.

I tend to fly low, as A) I'm not too good with counter measures, and B) I often have to land somewhere quick as I have a young kid that automatically starts needing me whenever I start DCS up.

My guesses: -

- altitude? It happens more often the closer I am to Groom lake. Also I get loads of limit warnings when I am climbing over the mountains. The failures happen a decent amount of time after the warnings.

- dust? I fly low over sand. Dust filter doesn't help.

- cold? I like setting my maps to winter or spring and about 5c temp. I have dust filter on and not ice.

Does dust effect the Ka-50 in game?

Do the hydraulics freeze up?

Am I missing something in the pre-flight set up?

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

Thanks for your reply. I checked take off weight, and my configuration is approx. 75% of take off weight, so it's not that, but you're implying things like that are simulated.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

They are...and so is pressure-altitude.

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

Have not seen any behavior like that in the KA-50, however I have mainly just been flying the instant action missions and free flying around within them. I have done some pretty low flying over the desert.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Since you asked I'll mention the electronic engine governor switches, one switch per engine. These prevent overspeed and I've had vibration warnings followed by engine failure for leaving them off.

Also make sure you're not flying around with the yellow throttle levers on Max all the time. I can't remember having a failure caused by that but usually if I move those from Auto to Max the situation is already rapidly deteriorating.

Dust damage if hovering near the ground is simulated, and the dust protectors 'work' (& impact power), icing of inlets and rotors is modelled, as are the effects of altitude on temperature and air density (lift and engine power). Oil temp is modelled, and should be allowed to reach operating temp before takeoff. Hydraulic fluid - not sure.

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply's

Since you asked I'll mention the electronic engine governor switches, one switch per engine. These prevent overspeed and I've had vibration warnings followed by engine failure for leaving them off.

Also make sure you're not flying around with the yellow throttle levers on Max all the time. I can't remember having a failure caused by that but usually if I move those from Auto to Max the situation is already rapidly deteriorating.

yes I do use engine govs, also I rarely hit MAX.

I haven't flown the KA 50 for a while but I think it has dust protectors for the engines. Are you using those, especially if flying low?

yes (nearly) all the time except when I have them set to ice

Dust damage if hovering near the ground is simulated, and the dust protectors 'work' (& impact power), icing of inlets and rotors is modelled, as are the effects of altitude on temperature and air density (lift and engine power). Oil temp is modelled, and should be allowed to reach operating temp before takeoff. Hydraulic fluid - not sure.

thanks for confirming, and the advice, maybe I will have to fly a little bit more gently over Nevada.

Would be good to still know if the hydraulics are freezing at that is the warn each time.

My youtube channel

Hi,

I can fly Ka-50 fairly well over Georgia, however when flying over Nevada I keep suffering engine failures, usually the right engine goes first, and it's the hydraulics that causes it.

I tend to fly low, as A) I'm not too good with counter measures, and B) I often have to land somewhere quick as I have a young kid that automatically starts needing me whenever I start DCS up.

My guesses: -

- altitude? It happens more often the closer I am to Groom lake. Also I get loads of limit warnings when I am climbing over the mountains. The failures happen a decent amount of time after the warnings.

- dust? I fly low over sand. Dust filter doesn't help.

- cold? I like setting my maps to winter or spring and about 5c temp. I have dust filter on and not ice.

Does dust effect the Ka-50 in game?

Do the hydraulics freeze up?

HAHA this is SO TRUE, coming from a father of a 3 yeard old and 7 month old. Although I just press the PAUSE BREAK button lol.

It's like when my INS is "NAV READY" it sends a signal to my daughter (7 month old) and wakes her up from nap time, every time. She could of just woke up before I spent 10 minutes starting the A-10C. My son just repeats "PULL UP PULL UP" and "ALTITUDE ALTITUDE" every time I fly

"Simultaneous selection of fuel dump and afterburner during high AOA

maneuvering may cause fuel to ignite with resulting fuselage damage."

HAHA this is SO TRUE, coming from a father of a 3 yeard old and 7 month old. Although I just press the PAUSE BREAK button lol.

It's like when my INS is "NAV READY" it sends a signal to my daughter (7 month old) and wakes her up from nap time, every time. She could of just woke up before I spent 10 minutes starting the A-10C. My son just repeats "PULL UP PULL UP" and "ALTITUDE ALTITUDE" every time I fly

...also do you have a wife that needs IT support, the instance you join a MP server ? :D

My youtube channel

I have a 2 year old and a new born, I feel your pain... usually right as I am leaving the taxiway one of them wakes up.