Professional and affordable TrackIR alternative

hegykc

The longer we waits, than many people is losing interest in this matter. This would hegykc should keep in mind. We expect that he give any comments. :noexpression:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Well this is looking pretty dead here ...

Head tracker is manufactured by CNC milling, which I'm starting in October.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2907980&postcount=1449 ;)

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

• 4 weeks later...

PM the author ... He said he is looking to release his products soon.

Check Six!!!_:gun_sniper:_:pilotfly:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

Yup ...Many a simmers have lost their patience and time on these threads.:music_whistling::music_whistling:

You can either get another head tracker or lurk around here till HEGYKC has something released...:noexpression:

||R7-2700X||ASUS ROG STRIX-X470F Gaming||GSKILL-TridentZRGB 16GBDDR4 3200C14||CORSAIR RM 1000X||SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX 24GB OC||WARTHOG HOTAS||:gun_smilie:

I have to agree. I'm surprised this thread remains actually. It's pretty obvious this is never going to see the light of day, if that was even possible to begin with.

That said, I don't think tracking needs to be that expensive. I've got a PS3 Eye and even with the facetacking stuff it works pretty well. The real problem I think seems to be a good source for a point tracking set, at least here in the US. I know EU has a couple people who seem to make quality ones that don't seem overly pricey.

I used facetracking for a while (both with Facetrack_NoIR and with the facetrack plugin in opentrack (which has since been removed) ), but it always seems to "drift" over an hour of gaming, and sometimes just went crazy, or had a constant "vibration". I eventually just bit the bullet, and built a 3 point IR LED module on an old headlamp (I dubbed it the Antl-IRs), and then later made a proper cap (the headlamp was too uncomfortable). Together with OpenTrack and a modified PS3 Eye camera, this works amazingly well and very stable, EXCEPT under certain lighting conditions certain times of the day (e.g. lots of early morning bright sunshine reflecting off my face or behind me etc.). I think I can probably solve those issues with some filters (e.g. these ), but it hasn't really been a priority yet (I don't generally game at the time of day when the problem is present).

Making a hat like this is not difficult, but it can take quite a while (and mine is not even pretty, making it look nice (hiding wiring etc.) would take even more time), I would recommend to just order one off trackhat.org (e.g. this) or one of those sites, even with international shipping it should still be quite reasonable, maybe $100 total. You can make the hat for under $20 (including the cost of a PS3 Eye camera), so basically depends how much a few hours of your time is worth to you. The trackhat one even has a forked version of opentrack with a simplified UI catering for trackhat dimensions to make it even easier to get going (with normal opentrack you'll need to spend some more time getting everything configured nicely).

From what I've seen, a well configured opentrack with PS3 Eye and a hat can rival a TrackIR5 setup, BUT the large benefit of TrackIR5 is that it largely "just works", no mucking about with configs and camera settings to get things working etc. For $150 that might even be reasonable, especially if trackhat kit with shipping is close to $100.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I got one of the 3 point ir led devices and couldn't make it work with a modified PS3 Eye - the dots were too bright, reflecting off my skin and after many hours fiddling with OpenTrack I bought a TrackIR again and there the leds work fantastically. So it really depends on the camera, I guess.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Yeah, sometimes it takes some fiddling with settings to get IR LEDs and modified PS3 Eye and Opentrack all "in balance". In my case I had to use the CL-Eye program to set the camera settings to make gain 0 (all the way to the left) and exposure very nearly zero and disable all the "auto" checkboxes. That way (assuming the IR filter was removed from your PS3 Eye) it picks up the bright IR LEDs as quite small spots and everything else is close to black. Then in opentrack you need to fiddle with the threshold and min/max size settings in the pointtracker, and ensure FOV matches the setting on your camera (mine is on red dot, so 56º, see PS3 Eye). This is why I still want to get one of those narrowband IR passthrough filters I mentioned in my previous post, that will cut down significantly on any other inputs that don't have the wavelength of your IR LEDs. In my case, the IR-333 LEDs I used have a wavelength of 940nm, so I'd need to get this filter.

So yes, like I said, it does take a lot of tweaking to get everything working nicely, if you don't have the time or appetite for that, just shell out $150 for TrackIR5 and be done with it. In my country the TrackIR5 is more like $200 or $250 after shipping and import tax, so sub $20 to make my own setup seemed worthwhile at the outset (I'm not so sure afterwards anymore though, it took way more effort and time than I thought it would...but it works really well now, so now I have no more reason to get a TrackIR5).

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes ... well on the market there are several alternatives, like Delan clip, and UTC Mk II and I can make tracking clip, but I just like the hegykc's design.

I like his design too but he hasn't posted any product updates for a long time ...

He isn't replying to the posts either...:noexpression::huh: