Removed

CptSmiley

Well simply look at the Hud to see if its a Friendly or not before you fire =P.

And the radar simply locks what ever is infront of it.

And it would not be a perfect solution either to have the CCM mode just dissregard contacts it assumed as friendlies either.

Simply make it a procedure.

After you Lock a target in CCM.

just take that extra second it takes to press the IFF button and make sure on the Hud that there is no A in the target box and then fire if its all clear.

well, most often you just don't have this second in a dogfight

and sometimes you dogfight in such areas where you don't even expect friendlies to show up, so don't even think of interrogating contacts...

or, for example, you've already interrogated a contact, BVR missiles from both sides flew away and you start a WVR battle and occassionally a friendly contact shows up in the middle of a scramble ... of course you don't interrogate him ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's already pretty fancy to have something show up in the HUD. I don't want any feature in a DCS module that's not present in the real aircraft.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

and sometimes you dogfight in such areas where you don't even expect friendlies to show up, so don't even think of interrogating contacts...

or, for example, you've already interrogated a contact, BVR missiles from both sides flew away and you start a WVR battle and occassionally a friendly contact shows up in the middle of a scramble ... of course you don't interrogate him ...

Many if not Most Fighters do not Disregard Friendly contacts in the CCM modes.

So there is no reason to demand the mirage 2000 should.

And if you simply make it a procedure to ALWAYS press the iff button (bind it to the joystick) before you launch a missile.

And also the radar does not know something is friendly until you interrogate.

And if you interrogate you will get the very clear A symbol to show it as a friend.

And you should never fire before thinking anyway.

(and thats true for any aircraft)

So Always make sure its an enemy before you launch.

Edited by mattebubben

Question please... does the Mirage's auto lock factor in the iff? Does it lock friendly contacts automatically?

Zeus already answered

Yes. The M-2000C does not have any way to discriminate friends from foes even when you are doing an IFF interrogation. That job was left to the pilot, thus the two symbols that tell you that it is a friend: the diamond in the VTB and the letter A (for Ami, Friend in French) in the HUD target box.

One of our sources confirmed this. I was even told that the radar manual has a large BE CAREFUL warning on it about this subject.

In the end the Mirage is going to have more pilot workload then the FC3 aircraft and it is going to get heavier which does give an advantage to the F3C aircraft but makes downing them even more satisfying! I find the Mirage deadly in very close fights (guns only range) but this is at the point beyond the need for another IFF interrogation.

I have made it second nature to IFF everything by having the IFF switch on my thumb, interrogate then shoot.

JD

AKA_MattE

This! Watch out in CCM and close quarters fighting, keeping that IFF button on a fingertip for quick interrogation. I try to anticipate needing the IFF and have it going while trying to auto lock so that the lock and interrogation are almost instant.

JD

AKA_MattE

Exactly! I always fight with one finger on the trigger, another one on the IFF.

I wouldn't want any unrealistic radar/weapon system features to replace the need to id the target before shooting.

Exactly! I always fight with one finger on the trigger, another one on the IFF.

I wouldn't want any unrealistic radar/weapon system features to replace the need to id the target before shooting.

This gave me an idea, first stage trigger IFF and second stage shoot:joystick:

PiedDroit, Can you release (control) your trigger finger fast enough if the IFF comes back friendly? Mine is kind of itchy....

IFF on pinky won't help you much either I'm afraid.

Time to practice the fine art of "restraint" :D

I don't think it's a good idea anyway, that won't be practical in dogfights.

Folks. Tomorrow there is an Open Beta update. From 1.5.3 to 1.5.4

We will post the changelog later but I want to warn you:

In this release the INS is now working.

Based on your Special Options and Mission Editor override selections:-

• It requires alignment before flight (Only if starting cold and dark).
  • If misaligned, it requires that you enter the aircraft current geographical position (Lat/Lon only).
  • If misaligned, the INS will provide erroneous data. Its has an unaligned circular error of 10 Kms.
  • If misaligned, the Heading readings are erroneous. It can point anywhere.

There is a known issue with the present position lat/lon that you enter:

It has a precision error of less than 1 second of arc between the data entered and the data saved. I am looking to squash it. Circular error is no larger than 30 meters. I am playing safe here, the highest error I've seen is 22 meters and the lowest 12. This error bias is taken into account by the INS. In practice it is irrelevant. At 180 knots, you are flying at 92.6 meters per second. So you cover the bias in 0.32 seconds.

If you do not start misaligned, the bias error is 0. You have perfect alignment. :smilewink:

Another issue:

The following data can be entered and saved:

- Runway Glideslope and Heading.

- Waypoint Altitude in feet and meters.

- Waypoint Latitude and Longitude.

- Waypoint Desired Route and Desired Time.

- Offshot Waypoint Latitude and Longitude, counted from current Waypoint Lat/Lon.

- Offshot Waypoint Altitude, counted from current Waypoint altitude.

- Offshot Polar Coordinates: Distance and Bearing.

- Magnetic Declination.

Unfortunately I did not have the time to test all of these data entry except for Aircraft Present Position Lat/Lon, so use them at your own risk.

I have not tried to enter/modify a flight plan yet. You are free to do that, it should work but then it may not. Expect problems if you do and that may include a CTD. Change waypoint data at your own risk.

Finally: The INS can take damage. So you may lose the gyros or all INS data.

I will try to update the manual, but if I can't then I will make an INS mini-manual thread here.

You asked for it, it is forthcoming. Enjoy! :smartass:

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Are unconnected WPs supported? Or more specifically, can I update the ins by flying over the WP and saying I'm here right now, instead on entering coordinates?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Are unconnected WPs supported? Or more specifically, can I update the ins by flying over the WP and saying I'm here right now, instead on entering coordinates?

Not yet.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• If misaligned, it requires that you enter the aircraft current geographical position (Lat/Lon only).
  • If misaligned, the INS will provide erroneous data. Its has an unaligned circular error of 10 Kms.

There is a known issue with the present position lat/lon that you enter:

It has a precision error of less than 1 second of arc between the data entered and the data saved. I am looking to squash it. Circular error is no larger than 30 meters. I am playing safe here, the highest error I've seen is 22 meters and the lowest 12. This error bias is taken into account by the INS. In practice it is irrelevant. At 180 knots, you are flying at 92.6 meters per second. So you cover the bias in 0.32 seconds.

If you do not start misaligned, the bias error is 0. You have perfect alignment. :smilewink:

Another issue:

The following data can be entered and saved:

- Runway Glideslope and Heading.

- Waypoint Altitude in feet and meters.

- Waypoint Latitude and Longitude.

- Waypoint Desired Route and Desired Time.

- Offshot Waypoint Latitude and Longitude, counted from current Waypoint Lat/Lon.

- Offshot Waypoint Altitude, counted from current Waypoint altitude.

- Offshot Polar Coordinates: Distance and Bearing.

- Magnetic Declination.

Unfortunately I did not have the time to test all of these data entry except for Aircraft Present Position Lat/Lon, so use them at your own risk.

I have not tried to enter/modify a flight plan yet. You are free to do that, it should work but then it may not. Expect problems if you do and that may include a CTD. Change waypoint data at your own risk.

Finally: The INS can take damage. So you may lose the gyros or all INS data.

I will try to update the manual, but if I can't then I will make an INS mini-manual thread here.

You asked for it, it is forthcoming. Enjoy! :smartass:

Thanks Zeus, very nice!:thumbup:

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When you write "misaligned", does that mean no class - or - anything other than class 4? In other words, are there any nuances?

Thanks

When you write "misaligned", does that mean no class - or - anything other than class 4? In other words, are there any nuances?

Thanks

Misaligned means no class.

Class 4 requires an aligned INS. It is just that it has the lowest precision.

Just a heads-up. I managed to update the manual that is in Docs.

It has info on both the PPA and the INS, so read it first.