DCS Stable 1.5.3.50487 repeated crashes

Hello,

I'm experiencing repeating crashes, no matter what misson or which aircraft I'm flying, game will crash every 10-15 minutes.

I'm using Thrustmaster HOTAS, Trackir5, GTX970 with Gsync monitor. Steam version of the game.

I've experienced these crashes before last update, and I've already tried to verify game cache. Can anyone help please?

Logs.rar

I can't really help, but let you know you're not alone.

I've tried many things (reinstall, roll back driver version, reduce graphics settings, running as administrator, reinstall VC++ runtime, etc) and I still get what you're experiencing: "DCS has stopped working" messages after some variable amount of time flying.

This rules out doing missions, obviously.

I'm sure DCS will eventually fix this problem. In the mean time, I have to resign myself to short flights and wait for the next update.

Good luck.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hello,

I'm experiencing repeating crashes, no matter what misson or which aircraft I'm flying, game will crash every 10-15 minutes.

I'm using Thrustmaster HOTAS, Trackir5, GTX970 with Gsync monitor. Steam version of the game.

I've experienced these crashes before last update, and I've already tried to verify game cache. Can anyone help please?

One tip when you are submitting logs/crash files. I see you have archived crash files back from 2014... why? They are not relevant to the crash you are getting now, right? What it doesn't have is crash file from today, which is what we need if you are getting crashes now/today!

So... Please do this from now on when you submit logs

When you get a crash, if you can replicate it again, delete your logs folder, start DCS again and run a mission (or track) where you get the crash, and once the crash happens, submit the relevant crash file from the log folder as well as mission and ideally, last saved mission from

...C:/Users/YourName/AppData/Local/Tesmp/DCSVersion/LastMissionTrack.trk

This track file along with crash file is what is most helpful

The track can be used to run by developer (or tester) PC and if crash can be replicated, ED will have best idea what causes it

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

I can't really help, but let you know you're not alone.

I've tried many things (reinstall, roll back driver version, reduce graphics settings, running as administrator, reinstall VC++ runtime, etc) and I still get what you're experiencing: "DCS has stopped working" messages after some variable amount of time flying.

This rules out doing missions, obviously.

I'm sure DCS will eventually fix this problem. In the mean time, I have to resign myself to short flights and wait for the next update.

Good luck.

Exactly the same for me, the nvidia driver stops to respond after a while, screen turns black for a few seconds until it restarts while dcs stops to work naturally. What I do is joining random multiplayer server, spectacing other players and eventually it will crash in about 10-20minutes. In the singleplayer it is similar, even in very simple missions with very low unit count and ram usage.

I've tried clean uninstall of gpu drivers in safemode with removal utility, rolled back drivers to old ones that were stable in about anything, reinstalled dcs itself into different location while removing the savefolder too before launching it. No joy...

It is either caused by some windows update lately, or 1.5.3 is flaky on some systems. So far everyone in the thread is using nvidia, so it might be an indication of driver conflict or perhaps some memory allocation problem on the gpu (as it is always full on 2gb gtx670, with spikes to 2000+mb used out of 2048mb total).

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

One tip when you are submitting logs/crash files. I see you have archived crash files back from 2014... why? They are not relevant to the crash you are getting now, right? What it doesn't have is crash file from today, which is what we need if you are getting crashes now/today!

So... Please do this from now on when you submit logs

When you get a crash, if you can replicate it again, delete your logs folder, start DCS again and run a mission (or track) where you get the crash, and once the crash happens, submit the relevant crash file from the log folder as well as mission and ideally, last saved mission from

...C:/Users/YourName/AppData/Local/Tesmp/DCSVersion/LastMissionTrack.trk

This track file along with crash file is what is most helpful

The track can be used to run by developer (or tester) PC and if crash can be replicated, ED will have best idea what causes it

Thank you for info, I've sent these info to opened ticket, next time I will do it better ;) btw Ticket number for this is 50398

Just a short update on my side, as I've tried dozens of things in the last couple of days.

After enabling triple buffering in nvidia control centre or nv-inspector, the crashing of driver stopped it seems, regardless of using v-sync or not, with or without framelimiter. I've also changed pagefile from system managed size (8gb in my case), into complete automatic process. That led to me being able to stay one hour in a very busy multiplayer server for the first time in v1.5.3. It reported 12gb of video memory being used (pagefile usage was around that number too, 10-12gb, despite system set pagefile size reportedly only to 8gb). As expected though, there was some stutter when switching between far planes across the map, but nothing uncommon (ssd only + 2400mhz ram might have an effect on this).

Also having shadows at flat-only helped stability, at the cost of no cockpit shadows for now. Will try Mustangs no-tree shadow mod and medium shadows next.

Third thing is checking you got pagefile set right.

Try those and maybe it will work for you. I will keep testing it further once I get time (spent one week tinkering with drivers, OS, DCS versions, frameworks, utilities and god know what else)! Goddamit! :D

EDIT: Alright, back to crashing again. Spectacing seems ok, but flying myself not so. SP mission dropped in 10 minutes with medium shadows and treeshadows-off mod. Without the mod and quality set to flat-only shadows (and flat shadows turned off on the right side of options), it worked ok for about 30min, then crash. Same mission every time (fw190 - dogfight against ai p51 in the instant missions). It's quite random...

Edited by Spectrum Legacy

Hello,

A few questions in order to diagnose the problem, trying to help.

1. Can you post the mission on the forum from which you get the crashes.

2. How fast do you get the crashes? And how many players where on the server?

3. How much AI was active when the crash happened?

What i did to diagnose the problem, is to make multiple versions of the same mission file, but eliminating slowly version by version a couple of units. Save the modified mission under a new version and re-host the mission. Ask a few buddies to test with you in MP. See if the crash happens again.

This may take a considerable amount of time, but you'll notice that at a certain point, a mission with a certain version does not crash anymore. As such, the previous mission version contains the crash, and you know what you've modified. So, the crash will be with the difference.

It could also be that the crash is with a certain event, (f.e. i remember a crash where ships firing a RIM would make MP crash)... I diagnosed this followiing the same above technique ...

Hope it helps.

Sven

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Fortunately, I'm not seeing any crashes for few days. I will keep flying and we will see :)

You are one very fortunate guy! :D I still have mine...such bumma...

Did the crashing stop completely without your intervention, or have you changed / reinstalled something particular?

Edit: Ok this time for real, I've managed to stay crash-less for 2 hours straight! :yay:

Culprit for driver TDR for me was apparently corrupt windows pagefile. Even though it was set right, it must have had some errors. Found it out when I've disabled the page file completely or changed its size manually to troubleshoot, but even after reboot the file was still there with full 8gb in size. So disabled it, ran safe-mode and deleted it myself from the root, rebooted and re-enabled it with system specific auto-mode again. After that, DCS finally runs on my end. Fingers crossed, it stays that way! :P

Edit2: Crashes again, without touching anything. So it appears I just had a lucky run yesterday. I will take a break.

Edited by Spectrum Legacy

Two flights, two DCS crashes today, both on ACG WW2 server. Both times when I was shooting and hitting someone, the game froze and "restarted" to the black splash screen, but the engine sound continued. I see a lot of errors in the log file!! After the first crash I restarted and let the pilot sit on the ground idle for half an hour - no problems. Then took off and fought for 5 minutes - splash screen again and stop. This game is unplayable for me anymore, all these money I paid are down the drain ((((

logs.zip

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR