Let's Build a Huey Cockpit!

Kornskydiver

Hey fellas! I have been looking for months on several simpit/home cockpit forumns and I have yet to see anything related to building a Huey cockpit. There are dozens of free and paid plans, cad/cnc files available for the a10 but absolutely nothing for us rotorheads :( so here is what I would like to do and I am open to any suggestions as their is more than one way to skin this cat!

- I live right down the street from an air museum with a huey so I have the ability and luxury to take pictures and measurements of just about anything inside the cockpit. I can create/trace the template onto a poster with all the measurement but I would need some assistance of someone tech savvy enough to help build this into a cad file or some type of cnc file that we can take to our local workshops to get one cut out of T6 .060 aluminum. So what do you guys think? Is there an easier way of doing this without actually spending on upwards of $500 for an actual instrument panel?

image.thumb.jpeg.9bc01e0f544c30781bb3d94cfb902a41.jpeg

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think with VR, a full blown sim-pit no longer makes sense. Even if you're not into VR now, it will be the norm in the next two years. The immersion factor is just too much. I think there was one thread for a full cockpit build in the sub forum of INPUT/OUTPUT dedicated to Huey. You should check that out

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Its debatable that VR will be the norm in the next two years. I've tried the Rift on DCS and although it is pretty immersive the resolution is utter garbage imo...but it might also be because I spoiled myself with a 4K 50" TV for my primary display :). Simpit builders love the tactile feel of having a physical cockpit, being able to actuate switches etc. I think VR would be awesome to throw in the mix every now and than but it definitely wouldn't be my primarily go to for simming.

I've seen that thread you were referring to but nothing ever came from it and it died years ago. A huey instrument panel should be a pretty straight forward build...just slap a couple monitors behind the panel with helios and your rockin and rolling!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd love te have a Huey cockpit plan!

If you send me or publish pictures of the cockpit with measures I can easily do a 3D model in sketch up, although I'm afraid this cannot be used directly for a cnc.

In any case, it would be a matter of transforming the file, as the work would be done. In any case, if you don't mind, I'd like to also include in the measurements the size of the seat, and the distances between it and the IP, pedals, etc...

• 2 months later...
I think with VR, a full blown sim-pit no longer makes sense. Even if you're not into VR now, it will be the norm in the next two years. The immersion factor is just too much. I think there was one thread for a full cockpit build in the sub forum of INPUT/OUTPUT dedicated to Huey. You should check that out

I use the Rift DK2 and also have an armament panel, and the immersion experience is even better...

256a9l5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

At first excuse my bad english, but as a Huey-Cockpit-Builder too, i can't resist to post here.

Because of fighting with myself to get a oculus, i've first built a Rig for my seat, the Computer and a monitor. The most work was to mount the CH-Pedals aligned with the surface of the rig.

1e4ba65420f9b66ea61ee07fd8a121fa.jpg

6a7d7e0bf6c46c9c95f051d804157cb0.jpg

Next Step: mounting the monitor right in front of the Face. And a holder for the keyboard:

cd22397cf1213b1ce577219046b6153d.jpg

e88f3e2d81d34c139d6c63eaf76a11cd.jpg

Then combined a Huey cyclic grip (thanks to Jürgen from microhelis.de) with my good old MSFFB2. Thanks to the self-constructed counterweight, Archimedes and this Forum its perfectly balanced and stops in every position i want.

f54879c0202df2749a82f61ba2f40ed9.jpgdf5d4eb8f8a38931b9ed42965636ac29.jpg

Now, lets build a Colli. Some alu-tubes, a bit of alu-tin, some ball-bearings, potis and such stuff...

1f62f1541d10c1ee8de8018aa3e42399.jpg

e49f720499cf82ee342636873f292659.jpg

Just in the Moment i buied the Switchbox of my colli, so, if you want to see more, stay tuned....

Greets to all from good old Germany

Mattes

Wow, Mattes.

Your build looks very promising. I'm not a 'DIY" kinda guy, but your work is inspiring.

Keep it up!

Intel 4790k @ 4.6ghz / Asus Maximus VII Hero / 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum / GTX780 Superclocked TI 3gb / Corsair H80i / Windows 10 X64

Lets go on...

The collective Stick is almost ready, exept the start trigger, some wiring and paintwork...

9c05e3ce32057a2dfef3b917702b0478.jpg

The friction damper, built with plywood, mossrubber, a bit of plasticsheet and 90-Minutes epoxy.

ed3d3ec1a1e159a5c533d25bd0f7133a.jpg

And the counterweight to help the damper, thanks to archimedes, that guy was a DCS:Huey pilot, i think:

794997456dda532f89ca5684e5a83319.jpg

• ED Team
Lets go on...

The collective Stick is almost ready, exept the start trigger, some wiring and paintwork...

_The friction damper, built with plywood, mossrubber, a bit of plasticsheet and 90-Minutes epoxy.

_And the counterweight to help the damper, thanks to archimedes, that guy was a DCS:Huey pilot, i think:

:shocking: :thumbup: I wish that all turned out!

hello and congratulations for the achievement of your collective. :thumbup:

I am a big noob and I have some questions about the axis of the collective. You used a solid shaft or tube? How do you block it in the pillow block and fix the cog-wheel.

For the friction damper, you fix the plywood and plastic with epoxy to the pillow block and tight with mossrubber with a bolt?? But how do you fix the threaded shaft to the axis.

Thank you in advance for your help and sorry for my english (google translate)

Let's Build a Huey Cockpit!

Hi Ruahatu,

No need to be sorry, i'm German and my English is to run away!

I glued a disc of 6mm plywood with a central hole of 16mm (axis is a 15x1mm alu-tube) with 90-minutes Epoxy to a short piece of 32mm Alutube, and this Construct to the housing of the Bearing. (in the oven with 100 degrees Celsius its hard in about 10 Minutes)

Inside the Axis i glued in the same way a 10mm quadratic Tube (special thanks to Pythagoras, all this good ole greece guys were DCS-pilots, i guess) , and inside of that a 8mm Threaded rod. Now Take a disc of mossrubber, glue it on a Disc of 4mm Polystyrol, and make a 10mm quadratic hole in its Center. This Hole grips to the quadratic tube. Take a 8mm nut, tight it up as required for a "smooth" move of the Stick, et viola...

:thumbup: thank you for your explanations.

if I understood everything, the axis stops at the plywood and the quadratic tube continue a bit further?

I really do not accustomed to this type of construction :cry:

Lock at my setup :music_whistling:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4559

I just redo it but keeping the same mechanism :D

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4581

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...