Let's build a Huey Cockpit!

Kornskydiver

For those with the extra cash. Don't forget that Komodo Simulations already has UH-1 models of the cyclic and collective that are hydraulically dampened.

http://www.komodosimulations.co.uk/Controls.html

They are awesome controls if your willing to wait 6-12 months. Its about $1000 USD for a collective and $1000 for a cyclic. They are awesome controls for sure but most of us dont have $2000 to spare for controls. I have no issues with my $250 warthog with extension. I am currently using a modified x-52 pro for my collective so that will be my next upgrade! OE-XAM also has outstanding collectives at under $500 but they currently only have controls for the bell 206 which really isn't a big deal for some. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone will soon release a quality collective at a reasonable price!

Edited by Kornskydiver

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They are awesome controls if your willing to wait 6-12 months. Its about $1000 USD for a collective and $1000 for a cyclic. They are awesome controls for sure but most of us dont have $2000 to spare for controls. I have no issues with my $250 warthog with extension. I am currently using a modified x-52 pro for my collective so that will be my next upgrade! OE-XAM also has outstanding collectives at under $500 but they currently only have controls for the bell 206 which really isn't a big deal for some. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone will soon release a quality collective at a reasonable price!

It's more like $1K for both. Maybe little more. But it's certainly not $2K USD. I'd love to see what HEGYKC does here.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's more like $1K for both. Maybe little more. But it's certainly not $2K USD. I'd love to see what HEGYKC does here.

No man, it's about $2K. You have to purchase the collective head and the base! Same goes for the cyclic....cyclic shaft and base are separate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No man, it's about $2K. You have to purchase the collective head and the base! Same goes for the cyclic....cyclic shaft and base are separate.

More like $1,300 or so. That's what I paid, unless prices have gone up substantially. But you do have to *WAIT* a long time... :(

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Cyclic

shaft £230 $302.20

base £250 $328.48

$630.67

Collective

Shaft £270 $354.75

base £250 $328.48

$683.23

$1313.90

That left a mark

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

I've gotten some PM's requesting information on the Huey we are using for the measurements so I wanted to share a few pics. It has the markings from the 114th Assault Helicopter Company which did some heavy time in Nam but I'm not entirely sure if it's an actual bird from that unit or just added during the restoration process. There wasn't a AC call sign on the instrument panel so it's hard to see where this bird has served. I'll ask the museum on my next trip out there!

image.thumb.jpeg.745e99b562149a9c175b027fce562535.jpeg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How much did shipping run you? Did you go with the cyclic and collective combo or all 3?

If I recall, I think the shipping price was baked into the overall price. If you email him, you can ask for bundled pricing. But again, be prepared to wait.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

If you don't mind, what are your thoughts on the build quality of the collective? Does it have a sturdy solid feel to it? I know the collective head is 3D printed but I'm curious if the shaft is made out of aluminum or stainless to give it that authentic feel. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The base is an metal case plus the tube appear to be out of a lightweight metal. The Rest is 3d Printed / Plastic with a bit of cork material for the throttle.

I was rather shocked when I received my Komodo Sim Collective. To be honest, I expected a lot more weight, less plastic. The buttons feel good (Except the Collie hat and the trigger on the underside. (Both 3d Prined and I just wait for them to fail)

Friction control didnt work either on my Unit, but Rich did offer me to fix it, but I still couldnt find the time to send it back.

Don't get me wrong, the collective is great and Rich (from KomodoSim) provides good support (but can take some time), but I was just not that impressed when I got my 1kg Package after 3 Months of waiting.

But still, currently the best collective in the "reasonable" priced selection if you need a lot of buttons or want a replica.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

The base is an metal case plus the tube appear to be out of a lightweight metal. The Rest is 3d Printed / Plastic with a bit of cork material for the throttle.

I was rather shocked when I received my Komodo Sim Collective. To be honest, I expected a lot more weight, less plastic. The buttons feel good (Except the Collie hat and the trigger on the underside. (Both 3d Prined and I just wait for them to fail)

Friction control didnt work either on my Unit, but Rich did offer me to fix it, but I still couldnt find the time to send it back.

Don't get me wrong, the collective is great and Rich (from KomodoSim) provides good support (but can take some time), but I was just not that impressed when I got my 1kg Package after 3 Months of waiting.

But still, currently the best collective in the "reasonable" priced selection if you need a lot of buttons or want a replica.

Thanks for the awesome feedback Swiss! You've mentioned some great points. I've also heard great things about Rich's controls and customer service. But to me..having a solid and authentic feel is really important. The best example is really the thrustmaster warthog stick....it looks and feels like the real deal!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're welcome. If you need to know details, let me know :)

Watching this topic. Going to be cool :)

@hegykc

Well, cant wait to finally order some of your offered products... :)

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

The lettering on the collective is not as crisp as that on the Warthog. But the hydraulic parts work *GREAT* I was able to hover a few feet off the ground and taxi back and forth. While flying with the Warthog with the spring mod helped, it's *NIGHT AND DAY* when compared to the long throw of the cyclic with proper trimmer. You can fly the bird with just a few fingers, which I'm told is how it's supposed to feel.

The friction knob works just fine for me. I made a side folding stand for the collective and it works just fine. I did tell Rich that the USB connector on the cyclic should be at the top. But I guess that's personal choice.

Here's the collective up close:

5amyXso.jpg

And here's the base for the collective and the cyclic. Notice how the collective stays up, and the cyclic is slightly askew.

gpDaaiS.jpg

Another closeup of the base of the collective

U6PlFTN.jpg

Edited by hansangb
few to feet, hold to told

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update gents...Lynx has begun working on the files for the Main instrument panel! I just wanted to say how great the support has been from this community. It's only been 30 days or so since my first post asking for community help and already things are starting to come together FINALLY for the helicopter community!

Here is a quick picture of my current Huey build in progress. If you guys are interested, I plan on starting a personal build thread. I think it would be nice to see a helicopter build thread in these forums lol. Also once Lynx begins rolling out his Huey line he will be starting a new thread as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.cf8d40c1602afb5a4dab3465bf622911.jpeg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quick update gents...Lynx has begun working on the files for the Main instrument panel! I just wanted to say how great the support has been from this community. It's only been 30 days or so since my first post asking for community help and already things are starting to come together FINALLY for the helicopter community!

Here is a quick picture of my current Huey build in progress. If you guys are interested, I plan on starting a personal build thread. I think it would be nice to see a helicopter build thread in these forums lol. Also once Lynx begins rolling out his Huey line he will be starting a new thread as well.

That looks great! :)

When you love the Huey so much, you should really consider getting the Gametrix JetSeat, a FFB vibrating seat cushion.

A Russian developer has created a free software called SimShaker that extracts airframe vibration effects from DCS and uses the seat to give you tactile feedback based on that.

(Can also be used with ButtKicker devices, but then it's not free.)

It really gives another dimension to flying the Huey, when you for instance can feel going into translational lift or feel upcoming VRS before it develops fully.

For me it has really transformed my flying in DCS, both in helicopters and in fixed wing aircraft.

One gets a more "flying by the seat of your pants" feeling when using it.

Thread here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134704

(It's a long thread, so lots to read.)

SimShaker software page here:

http://dreamsimteam.blogspot.com/p/simshaker.html

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Its will be great to get some build thread!!

I like to make my uh-1 pit also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------