DCS and HTT, affinity performance experiment

AJaromir

Good day. I have Core i7-6700K 4.2GHz 4 cores 8 threads; 16GB DDR4 XMP 2.0 profile #2 2133MHz RAM; MSI GTX 1080 gaming X 8G and 512 NVMe SSD on motherboard MSI Z170A Gaming M5, OS W10 home. I wondered why a lot of my friends have better results on I5. The main difference between I5 and I7 is HTT. (Hyper Threading Technology - one physical core is splitted to two virtual cores)

Today I tried do experiment with HTT and core affinity in DCS:1.5.x

With HTT on I got max 30% CPU load

With HTT off I got UP to 70% CPU load

I also tried change the CPU affinity.

I've found the more than 3 cores have no impact on performance.

This "experiment" evaluates that DCS can not use more than 3 cores.

Can someone try it, please and post here his results? THX.

Edited by AJaromir

This horse has been beaten to death a thousand times over :lol:. I'ts actually one of the reason I chose an I5 4690k for my DCS pc...and got extra RAM when it was cheap. But I still get days where its unplayable and that can be so frustrating I stop playing for weeks sometimes untill a patch/driver fixes it (if its on there end) Like right now I only play 2.0 because 1.5 is unplayable unless I use a view distance fix and a few other things (which is banned in MP AHH!!) and I just dont care enough anymore to fiddle with the settings. Maybe when the new tech is done and things are mirged I'll go back and do a performance optimization

Edited by Goldsmack

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

Just willing to try anything to fix this f-15 tws frame rate drop after play for only 15-30mins.

If you got the time I sugest deleting your options.lua in

C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\DCS\Config

And then fire up dcs and start turning on/up individual settings and then testing in game to see the FPS. There are also view distance and shadow mods I have had a little luck with personaly.

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

Good day. I have Core i7-6700K 4.2GHz 4 cores 8 threads; 16GB DDR4 XMP 2.0 profile #2 2133MHz RAM; MSI GTX 1080 gaming X 8G and 512 NVMe SSD on motherboard MSI Z170A Gaming M5, OS W10 home. I wondered why a lot of my friends have better results on I5. The main difference between I5 and I7 is HTT. (Hyper Threading Technology - one physical core is splitted to two virtual cores)

Today I tried do experiment with HTT and core affinity in DCS:1.5.x

With HTT on I got max 30% CPU load

With HTT off I got UP to 70% CPU load

I also tried change the CPU affinity.

I've found the more than 3 cores have no impact on performance.

This "experiment" evaluates that DCS can not use more than 3 cores.

Can someone try it, please and post here his results? THX.

CPU Usage% is Dynamic to how many threads your O/S Detects.

So,

4 Threads, w/ 1 at 100% Usage =25% Total CPU Usage

4 Threads, w/ 2 at 100% Usage =50% Total CPU Usage

8 Threads, w/ 2 at 100% Usage =25%

16 Threads, w/ 2 at 100% usage =13%

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=118535&highlight=Affinity

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

In UEFI or BIOS try to turn off HTT and check if the game works better. THX.

BTW. it's sad the game runs so bad on such powerfull HW.

Here is my 3Dmark benchmark result:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15063633

You are attempting to discuss issues we have already evaluated long ago.

Take a look at our search function to find answers from the issue you are

looking into.

3DMark has nothing to do with a DX9 program. The results you are viewing there

are synthetic numbers with little meaning in the real world. I am aware gamers

believe in the 3dmark program as the "Holy Grail" of gaming. But the numbers

are just numbers in the real world. DX9 is a Microsoft program that isn't updated

any longer. So it isn't represented well in 3dmarks number crunching scheme.

Hyper Threading has been done so much few here want to even talk about it. but you can as

I say take a look at the old logs by way of the search function. You will learn a lot and not bring up things we

as mentioned above have "Beaten to Death" long ago.

Your enthusiasm is much like the best of the best individuals here. I am looking forward to your

future posts as you learn more about our software. I know your level of intelligence and enthusiasm will bring many great post and conversations.

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

3DMark has nothing to do with a DX9 program. The results you are viewing there

Has the change to DX11 not happened yet? or is it only 2.0? I am confused again :huh:

Has the change to DX11 not happened yet? or is it only 2.0? I am confused again :huh:

It in essence has happened. It is a "Sandbox" implementation, one that allows us some use

of the DX11 technology.

To take advantage of the DX11 Tech. in its entirety the software would have to be completely

reprogrammed. This being a huge undertaking and expensive endeavor, we can only hope

all goes well with DCS and its affiliates to (in the future) give us this awesome simulator in its

full glory. Technically speaking of course.

I will buy a lottery ticket in hopes of giving them the funds to accomplish this great metamorphosis.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Take a look at our search function to find answers from the issue you are

looking into.

The search function never found what I was searching. I always input keywords and the solution is: Nothing here, but chicken.

3DMark has nothing to do with a DX9 program. The results you are viewing there.....

I used it only for now to check my HW balance. Otherwise don't use it.

say take a look at the old logs by way of the search function...

Search never worked for me. Always found nothing after entering the keywords

Your enthusiasm is much like the best of the best individuals here. I am looking forward to your

future posts as you learn more about our software. I know your level of intelligence and enthusiasm will bring many great post and conversations.

I don't understand. How do you mean this?

Edited by AJaromir