tower, inbound

When I use the comms link (F6) tower, followed by (F3) inbound,

I get a message with a bearing, distance and height to fly.

1. usually if i follow this i fly round in circles. What am I doing wrong?

2. Is there any quick way to measure the distance to fly to the next tower instruction point (that is visible on the hud e.g.)?

or is this feature workable?

col

This is what we call "laughably unfinished AI air traffic control." This key sequence serves ONLY to set up your ILS to land at the nearest airport. The bearing & range info is fine, but the altitude info is a script or something- it will say 8000 even if your over the airport. Ignore it.

As far as NAV is concerned. Russian planes are both simpler and set up much better in a couple of ways. First-you always get a final approach waypoint set up for you automatically. This is of course where you set up and execute your landing. You are guided to this point by the "RTN" on your HUD, and the info on the HSI, etc.

You can also easily cycle your NAV system through any airport (33's see the carrier, too) in the theatre. Select RTN mode and press the ~ key until you have the airport you want. It's all simple enough so that anyone can easily figure out where they are supposed to go next.

Navigation in US planes are more difficult to figure out when your new. IMO the U.S. HSI is not difficult, really- but because there is no defined final approach leg- a new guy who does not know the area will be heading towards the runway and can find himself waaaaay too close, high, and fast to properly set up the landing. This can be fixed by the mission maker setting up a final, regular waypoint in the area where you should be getting ready to land, that way when your NAV computer switches to landing mode- you're in better position. There is also NO altitude information as you approach the area- you have to know where your at and take care of it. You only get glideslope info once you are lined up about 6 miles out from the runway.

Also- the US planes don't have the super simple and obvious course lines to follow. You have the tadpole and other queues. The info is there, but- for example- if you don't pass right over the final approach waypoint in the russian plane- you can see that and continue on to land- it's obvious. In fact- the entire flight is clearly laid out for you on the HDD (display) The US planes' HSI might simply do a cartwheel, and a new guy might not realize what happened. Experienced guys know the area and continue the approach- manually switching to ILSN or landing mode. new guys... meh... it's confusing to be sure.

I'm also a big fan of the russian ADI. Talk about simple- this thing leans and really gives you a sense of your lineup. If you're off- you know it and you know how badly. It makes corrections simpler & smoother.

When I use the comms link (F6) tower, followed by (F3) inbound,

I get a message with a bearing, distance and height to fly.

1. usually if i follow this i fly round in circles. What am I doing wrong?

2. Is there any quick way to measure the distance to fly to the next tower instruction point (that is visible on the hud e.g.)?

or is this feature workable?

col

'Inbound' request are answered by the airtraffic controller, not the tower!.

As said, you are directed to the nearest ILS path. Once on it, you'll get corrections and clearance from the tower.

In practice: Put the for-last waypoint (last being landing WP) some 10nm away (but in line) with the ruway. Fly towards this WP and switch from NAV to ILS mode 0,1nm before you reach it. No need to ask for vector since ATC will give it to you anyway.

Learn to navigate & land using the HSI only, it's a primairy instrument and you'll thank God it's there once the HUD fails.

PS: get IronHands A10 ILS training on www.flankertraining.com

DELL Inspiron 1564 / Intel Core i3 M330 @ 2.13GHz (4GB)___ATI Radeon HD4330(512Mb)___Windows7 Home Premium 64bit

In practice: Put the for-last waypoint (last being landing WP) some 10nm away (but in line) with the ruway. Fly towards this WP and switch from NAV to ILS mode 0,1nm before you reach it. No need to ask for vector since ATC will give it to you anyway.

Assuming you do set up this next-to-last waypoint 10nm out, what would be a good approx altitude/airspeed to hit the waypoint at, to set yourself up in good shape for the ILS approach? (Flying F-15C)

I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out.

Assuming you do set up this next-to-last waypoint 10nm out, what would be a good approx altitude/airspeed to hit the waypoint at, to set yourself up in good shape for the ILS approach? (Flying F-15C)

I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out.

This diagram might help. You should be 250knots or less to lower your landing gear.

ApproachGuide.jpg

My directional airfield icon could be helpful, too.

http://bvr.jpn.org/lockon/mod/index_e.html

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Visit my site Beyond Visual Range.