ASW ruining the experience

Johnny Dioxin

Online sesh last night and all external views were ruined.

In fact, I was finding it considerably more difficult to read the cockpit dials and so on, too - but didn't realise it would be ASW.

Radio frequencies I have never had issues reading in the past, could only be read using VR zoom.

External views were awful. The models were reasonable at times, but the scenery was just a blurry mess. Same goes for DCSWorld 2.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Don't think that's because of ASW though... ASW may cause some bluriness when moving, but standing still, it should't affect view. Did you check your FPS and verified that ASW was in fact active in that sequence? I find that outside views like that is at a steady 90 FPS. ASW would cap the FPS at 45.

If it isn't ASW then it is the last update to 1.5.5 - and that was fine before the last Oculus update.

Nothing else has changed. You can see how well it was working in my other vids.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Did you update Oculus to 1.10 and DCS to 1.5.5 at the same time? Or did you notice this blurriness in 1.5.4 with Oculus 1.10 as well?

You could check if it's indeed the ASW causing it by checking your FPS. If the blur disapear at 90 FPS, but is present at 45, you have your answer.

Is there a way to turn this ASW off? It makes flying DCS a really bad experience for me. The main problem is that when making sharp turns (meaning the scenery displayed in the rift changes quickly), ASW leads to a very jerky motion. I've read online then I can turn it off by pressing CTRL-Num1, and that indeed works, but it sucks that I will have to press this every time I go into the sim. The oculus website instructs "to disable ASW set its registry key to 0". Unfortunately I don't have a PhD in computer engineering to figure this out. Can somebody dumb it down for me. Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Brixmis: Your framerate does look horrendous though. Looks like you are 10fps or something, and that would defenetly explain why its blurry, with ATW/ASW.

So try and disable it (hotkey function) while in DCS, and see what it does.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/44410/auto-asw-performance-issues#latest

In 1.5.5 I have no performance issues, running the latest Oculus update. Im windows 7 though, so no ASW for me.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Did you update Oculus to 1.10 and DCS to 1.5.5 at the same time? Or did you notice this blurriness in 1.5.4 with Oculus 1.10 as well?

You could check if it's indeed the ASW causing it by checking your FPS. If the blur disapear at 90 FPS, but is present at 45, you have your answer.

You can check the frame rate with the performance HUD, a part of the Oculus SDK:

https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-hud/

Control-Numpad1: Disables ASW and returns to the standard rendering mode.

Control-Numpad2: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW disabled. Depending on the application, you are likely to experience judder.

Control-Numpad3: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW enabled. Enabling and disabling ASW will help you see the effects of ASW.

Control-Numpad4: Enables ASW. ASW automatically turns on and off, depending on whether the app maintains a 90Hz frame rate. This is the default runtime rendering mode.

Source: https://developer3.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/asynchronous-spacewarp/

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

ASW destroyed my experience, see the thread about really bad tearing and the screen looking as though I was looking through glass with water running down it.

It's LCTL + NumPad 1 to turn it off.

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

I've had the same effect as you describe, tom1502, on occasion - even when everything else looked okay, on our online session in the Ka-50's a couple of days ago. I described it as graphics warping at the time.

I think it's been established on several forums, that the effect of ASW is hardware dependant. Not in the way it was intended, but in the way that it can mess things up.

Kneeboard Guides

ASW destroyed my experience, see the thread about really bad tearing and the screen looking as though I was looking through glass with water running down it.

It's LCTL + NumPad 1 to turn it off.

...got the same issue.... will try the keys that U posted....

THX for that hint!

// Hasi @4,5 GHz @ H100i // Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 // Avirex 4x4GB // PALIT 1070 GTX SuperJetStream // Corsair 350D // Plextor extern // DELL 2407WFP // Razer Lancehead // 2xThrustmaster T.16000M + Saitek Pedals Pro // Oculus Rift // 3x amBX // Win10 Pro x64

Im having the same issue here. Everything looks warped and weird. i tried the cntrl numpad1 and it didnt make any difference. this sucks.

Sytem Specs: Asus armor Z170 mobo, Intel 6700k i7 chip, gtx 1080, 32g DDR4, 800watt pws, Win10, Samsung NVME M.2 256G Drive, 1T Samsung Evo SSD, 250G Corsair SSD, Asus 4k 28" 60hz Monitor, Oculus Rift, WarthogTM stick and throttle, CH rudder pedals