Landing the F-5 airplane

Vinny002

Do the training missions in 1.5 absolutely golden and really helped me. I also raise the seat up on landing to her a better view when the AOA rises. Also trim is your friend, I find I need to trim loads when the gear goes down. Also make sure your dampeners are engaged, helps keep the plane smooth in all phases of flight

My problem starts when I touchdown, on the tarmac. Feels like Bambi on ice or driving a rally car on snow with slicks...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro - Asus Z370 Prime A - i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz - 32 GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX 1080 - Oculus Rift CV1 - HOTAS Warthog - CH Pro Pedals

Puukko - Kossu - HK Sininen Lenkki

Gents,

My 2 Cents:

Vinny, check if pitch and yaw dampers are on. Check both switches just aft the Throttle quadrant and radar controls.

Ponhard, configure your left and right brakes. It helps with controllability. Do not use steering above 60kts.

Good luck,

Sydy

My problem starts when I touchdown, on the tarmac. Feels like Bambi on ice or driving a rally car on snow with slicks...

Immediately deploy the chute on nose contact, don't use nose-wheel steering until below 60 knots (rudder is effective above that although increasing input is required as speed bleeds down). Use nose-wheel steering very carefully, only the lightest touches. Stay right on top of it.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

And gentle on the brakes!!! I've done quite a few donuts on the tarmac!!!

I try not to use the brakes until under 60 kts

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Same Klem, I've gotten used to just not using them until I am packing my chute in and turning off of the active. I use a good amount of trim on approach and it only seems tough to see the last few feet before touch down. She likes to float if you give it the slightest of flare, so watch for that. And yes, the rodeo starts once the wheels are on the ground. Pop chute as soon as the nose hits and you get stable in a straight line using the rudder, NOT the brakes, then pop chute.

I had many many mishaps before I could consistently take off and land without it looking to any spectator as if I had a cockpit full of bees, if you follow me there. I guess what I am saying is practice. Um, a lot. Do it on your own so there's no weather, then go to servers and learn it in weather.

Lastly, go read the blown tires threads. Some pretty good ideas from about a dozen DCS F-5 pilot regulars on how they get the plane off of the ground safely when you have a heavy bird, loadout wise.

Hope this all helps!!

~S

Yes, the chute is key to success, thanks for the hints!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro - Asus Z370 Prime A - i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz - 32 GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX 1080 - Oculus Rift CV1 - HOTAS Warthog - CH Pro Pedals

Puukko - Kossu - HK Sininen Lenkki

Without the chute (which I believe they don't use real world unless there is technical problems) follow these procedures:

1.)Land On Speed / On Centerline

2.)Let aircraft weight settle on the runway

3.)maintain centerline with ONLY rudder (if you use NWS, you will die)

4.)Gradual increase of brake pressure for a potato or two, and then release, REPEAT step 4 as required to slow down. (Do not just hold down the brake as they will lock up and send you for a fiery ride.)

5.)Passing 60 kts activate nosewheel steering.

6.)Use entire rwy to decelarate

on