Track IR help

I assume you mean what we use for head tracking, since TrackIR is a specific product from Natural Point.

The short answer is that unless you want to spend a lot of time fiddling with things you should get TrackIR. Everything else out there is just a hardware/software hack with a significant amount of fiddling and tweaking required. TrackIR is plug-n-play. It is not cheap but you will spend more time enjoying using it than trying to get it to work the way you want.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

As cichlidfan says, just get a TrackIR; expensive but it works, and works well. Next month I'd have had my TrackIR 3 for ten years!

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I have been using the TrackIR 5 with the hat clip in DCS for a few months now.

Head tracking for DCS is a must for me, you never realize how much until you start using it.

The TrackIR is a good product. Easy to setup and works well, even with just the hat-clip.

I am just the tiniest bit disappointed however. When I imagined TrackIR, I imagined the view panning smoothly around (almost as if I were using keyboard buttons or the view hat on a joystick). In reality, that just doesn't happen. I don't know if it's a problem with TrackIR, or DCS, but there is noticeable judder/stutter/aliasing when you pan the view with TrackIR. It's slight, but noticeable, and only becomes more noticeable as time goes on. If it weren't for that, it would be perfect.

Still pretty good, wouldn't fly without it now.

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

Never had judder/stutter on mine. Is v-sync on in DCS? (it could be screen tearing). Have you tried playing with Smoothing in TrackIR software?

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Yes I've tried absolutely everything. When the view isn't moving, everything is smooth. When I pan with trackir it does something weird. It's pretty evident if you look at the canopy frames or gauges in the cockpit.

Here is a video I shot - look at the cockpit frame as the camera pans and you will see it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl2Ebpy_JZI

Edited by exray

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

I use TrackIR5 and I have no complaints. No pro-clip either. It cost, yes, but you will be using it so much that the price per hour is nonexiatent in the end.

It gives you a way better way to look around the cockpit and around obstacles like a canopy arch. It also frees up a hatswitch and the finger using it to other tasks besides panning.

I have not experienced any judder or tearing with it and it sure works out of the box.

Go for it. You won't regret it.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Better? No, it was much easier to use a twitch of the thumb and a snap view to look around. Much easier on a system also.

More immersive? Yes.

Worst part? It just makes us lazy. People will pull right in front of you as they do not look around. See, that requires work when you have a head tracker.

Two sides to every coin. :)

Yes I've tried absolutely everything. When the view isn't moving, everything is smooth. When I pan with trackir it does something weird. It's pretty evident if you look at the canopy frames or gauges in the cockpit.

Here is a video I shot - look at the cockpit frame as the camera pans and you will see it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl2Ebpy_JZI

Strange, that video actually looks fine to me, smooth. It's not ghosting on your monitor is it? Sorry, can't help.

Better? No, it was much easier to use a twitch of the thumb and a snap view to look around. Much easier on a system also.

More immersive? Yes.

Worst part? It just makes us lazy. People will pull right in front of you as they do not look around. See, that requires work when you have a head tracker.

Two sides to every coin. :)

Odd because I find head tracking to be much easier and more intuitive than snap views. I'm also constantly looking around!

Still, each to his own. :)

Strange, that video actually looks fine to me, smooth. It's not ghosting on your monitor is it? Sorry, can't help.

No it looks the same to me on my computer at home, my iPhone, my computer at work, etc. Maybe I'm just too fussy :cry:

I use TrackIR 5, but I don't wear hats.. and the trackclip pro isn't $20 worth of plastic imo. Have gone through 4 of them..2 were free..

I love the TIR5 camera and software. But.. I've been loving my Lukeclip lately. Was using a delan clip previously which works fine but I suggest using velcro to attach it rather than twisty ties. (i bent mine out of shape because it didn't' sit on my headset right, which is due to the shape of my headset not the delanclip.)

People do successfully hack ps3 eyes and use freeware (which as mnetioned requires more tweaking) for much cheaper than you can get a TiR5 - but personally I went with the product that I didn't have to take apart and had a team of developers constantly updating the software.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.