Head through the canopy

Fisherman82

I have been searching the forum to see if somebody else has reported this but I havent found any other post about it.

Its very simple, when I have my Trackir on I can lean outside of the aircraft through the closed canopy.

Oh don't worry. Without a head tracker on and using the keyboard, I can put my head about 5 head-heights above the canopy glass and see everything behind me. (I've never done this in MP though ;))

Looks like that 6DOF limits are off. Guys, just by coincidence, are you using any view mod - for instance the server.lua file?

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I never use the keys when I fly but as Ice_Cougar I can also move myself outside the aircraft and sit on the inlet and look into the cockpit for example. But I dont do that because I only use TrackIr and in the F15 and Su25T I cant put my head through the canopy.

I am using the proper neck mod, however I did a test just now and removed the server.lua and it did not change.

And you cant have limits with VR :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not? Please explain. I can stick my head right through the canopy glass using the CV1, and I hope they'll fix that. Are you saying that can't be fixed because of VR limitations?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

No, VR has no limitation in the way, that if you have enough room, you can stand up and move your POV on your wing or whatever you want...

I guess my question is why doesn't DCS limit it so that I can't move my head outside the canopy. Once I hit the canopy with my head DCS should ignore further movements of the head, right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Once I hit the canopy with my head DCS should ignore further movements of the head, right?

This is a core problem with virtual reality. Mixing virtual and physical boundaries...

If your virtual head is obstructed, but your physical head is not, it will confuse your brain to the point that it can induce motion sickness.

I guess my question is why doesn't DCS limit it so that I can't move my head outside the canopy. Once I hit the canopy with my head DCS should ignore further movements of the head, right?

I totally agree, I dont have VR, only Trackir but thats how it works in the F15C and the Su25T.

I totally agree, I dont have VR, only Trackir but thats how it works in the F15C and the Su25T.

But it will make you sick in VR , trust me.

Its one big problem in VR games , how to limit player moving without making player sick.

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But it will make you sick in VR , trust me.

Its one big problem in VR games , how to limit player moving without making player sick.

Im sure you are right about that, I havent tested VR. Maybe there can be a option to enable or disable limiting of the viritual head then.

But Im very suprised that this can be something that is ok in a realistic sim. Im hoping that it is a bug. All aircraft have different benifits and drawbacks, in the Viggen for example you should have harder to look behind you compared to the F15 which has a bubble canopy. But that is put out of play if you just can stick your head through the canopy and check your six. I only fly single player but I wonder how this is handled in muliplayer. I think that it should be limited and if somebody with VR cheats by sicking their head through the canopy I dont mind them getting sick :)

I think that it should be limited and if somebody with VR cheats by sicking their head through the canopy I dont mind them getting sick :)

Well, moving your head in VR means you have to move it at a 1:1 scale. I.e. you have to move your head as much as you would in real life. With TrackIR this is scaleable. You would be able to crane your virtual neck effortlessly to look straight back and out the canopy, just by turning your head a few degrees.

This isn't as easy in VR. You need to move quite far to actually be able to stick your head out of the virtual canopy. Especially if you're sitting down at your HOTAS :)

Believe me, checking six in VR is much harder than with TrackIR! Same with putting your head through the canopy.