Introducing the VKB-Sim ‘Modern Combat Grip’ (MCG)

rrohde

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received my Gunfighter/MCG Pro, and all I have to say is WOW!

One thing I am very confused about is the Master Mode hat. Is there any explanation from VKB about its capabilities?

The Master Mode has two functions, and you can toggle them by pressing and holding the Master Mode 'push' button for a moment. Function 1 = trimmer type switch, function 2 = analog axes. Kinda cool if you ask me.

(EDIT: according to UIV, the Master Mode axes should work in DCS just fine.)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The Master Mode has two functions, and you can toggle them by pressing and holding the Master Mode 'push' button for a moment. Function 1 = trimmer type switch, function 2 = analog axes. Kinda cool if you ask me.

(However, I am not sure if the analog functions work in DCS, haven't tried).

My immediate thought when I saw how the axis moved was, "this is perfect for trimming!"

I do have to say that the VKBDevCfg GUI is absolutely horrendous. It took me a good while of clicking around to figure out what I was even looking at!

My final question (for now): what does the Enable MCG PRO Trigger box mean? It seems that you can set different stages of the trigger to activate a different button.

Edit: I can confirm that the analog axis is not recognized in DCS

Edited by Soulraptor

Btw - even the regular 'Master Mode' switch travel and speed is perfect for trimming as it is. I use that and I get a much more responsive trim than before.

"Enable MCG PRO Trigger" allows you to configure (I believe) different stages of button action. Right now, the default is that you have a button action when you flip up the trigger, and when you press the trigger. There's also an option to have a button action when you return the trigger to the center. (I am not an advanced user, as I am pretty happy with the defaults mapped to DCS, so once again AeroGator or UIV might have more details).

You could always poke around the official VKB forum as well - lots of good people hang out there. :)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Maybe redo the calibration once more following these steps?

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2853

When I flip the trigger up, I get a button press. I use that to toggle guns on/of in the Ka-50, for example. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Here's a note from UIV about getting the Master Mode (РЕЖИМ КБО) hat switch axes (relative mode) to work in DCS:

Within DCS:

1) enter "axes" mode by long press on the Master Mode (РЕЖИМ КБО) hat switch

2) center the axes by short press on the Master Mode (РЕЖИМ КБО) hat switch

3) choose the axis in DCS menu for the module you want to assign these axes to

4) move the Master Mode (РЕЖИМ КБО) hat to the left for a few seconds (relative mode takes longer compared to normal axes to reach the far end); repeat for the vertical axis.

Done.

Just a quick note on this 'relative axes mode' = relative here means that the axis stays where you left it, compared to your typical spring loaded axes that returns to the center.

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Maybe redo the calibration once more following these steps?

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2853

When I flip the trigger up, I get a button press. I use that to toggle guns on/of in the Ka-50, for example. :)

Looks like that did the trick. I did something wonky during my initial calibration. The language used is kind of confusing, though. What does "forward" and "a center position" mean ?

I guess flipping it to the "up" position sounds better. The center position is the "down" position (without pressing the trigger to fire).

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Something interesting just developed with my grip. The connector collar seems to have come loose and now has a bit of play. This translates into quite a bit of left and right motion when it's connected to the base. This seems to have happened after I had pulled the stick on and off of the base a few times while adjusting the dry clutches. Is this normal?

Something interesting just developed with my grip. The connector collar seems to have come loose and now has a bit of play. This translates into quite a bit of left and right motion when it's connected to the base. This seems to have happened after I had pulled the stick on and off of the base a few times while adjusting the dry clutches. Is this normal?

This is probably a dumb suggestion, but did you tighten it? On the KG12 (should be the same as MCG) the stick is held on by the friction/clamping force against the shaft. If it's loose you can rotate the stick (25 degrees I think it was) before it is stopped by a pin so that the electrical contacts remain within their respective physical limits. It literally just sounds like you didn't tighten it.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

This is probably a dumb suggestion, but did you tighten it? On the KG12 (should be the same as MCG) the stick is held on by the friction/clamping force against the shaft. If it's loose you can rotate the stick (25 degrees I think it was) before it is stopped by a pin so that the electrical contacts remain within their respective physical limits. It literally just sounds like you didn't tighten it.

It turns out the screws holding the connector inside the stick itself weren't tightened. I put it back in place and tightened the screws and the issue is completely solved. I wonder if it is the result of a rushed manufacturing process? It seems a little odd to have loose screws in the internals of a stick.

It turns out the screws holding the connector inside the stick itself weren't tightened. I put it back in place and tightened the screws and the issue is completely solved. I wonder if it is the result of a rushed manufacturing process? It seems a little odd to have loose screws in the internals of a stick.

Good the problem got sorted out. Thanks for bringing our attention to it. Final assembly is done by our very selves, so I don't believe it was because of rush, but you know... a sudden phone call in the middle of tightening the screw, or a wife entering the workshop with her "are you finally going to have your lunch, it's 9 pm!" - anyway. Let's blame women. :music_whistling:

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

I am considering re-ordering the MCG Pro grip in the not too distant future. I had cancelled my original pre-order.

Couple of questions:

In looking at the pictures, am I correct in saying there is not a pinky button?

Stock - will these grips be run in batch runs only, or will they be available from stock at some point?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

In looking at the pictures, am I correct in saying there is not a pinky button?

The pinky button moved to a more accessible location due to the adjustable palmrest; I now call it the ring finger button (see attached image). Works really well that way.

What I really love is that I was able to assign a virtual button to the brake lever (which by default is an analog axis, but thanks to the VKBdevCfg magic, even this is now possible). So I have my ring finger button + another button when squeezing the brake. :)

Stock - will these grips be run in batch runs only, or will they be available from stock at some point?

This is something that AeroGator of VKB HQ would likely know more about than I do.

4k4GFOj.thumb.jpg.2a442669c7f10806f28c877a50c536cb.jpg

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Ok thanks much for the info, not sure how that middle finger button would work for how I would like to have used a pinky button - as a modifier button. Course I could just assign one of my hat buttons on my throttle for that also I guess.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

@dburne:

We are producing enough goods now to be fully stocked up and keep our dealers the same way.

As we have just started producing this model, it will take a while before all pre-orders are taken care of, probably some time in mid/late January.

Chinese New Year however also has to be mentioned in this context.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator