I got an IFF idea

Shadow KT

So, why don't we (and by "we", I mean ED) make it so that western and eastern type of jets have different IFFs. I know IFF is not really something implemented in the sim, but hear me out....

So, in reality a MiG and a Eagle (with no modification to the planes ofcourse) would never be able to identifie them selfs as friends, as they're using different systems and codes (correct me if I am wrong). So why don't we make it so that all western planes can see each other as friendlies, but if there is a russian jet on your side, you wouldn't be able to IFF em as friendly and vise versa.

If there are western jets on both sides, or the other way around (russian), they would have different codes for IFF so they will see each other as foes.

This way we will have to think twice before shooting. Will have to check with AWACS for comformation, or do a visual or ray gun, ect.

This could lead to a lot of great sutff like:

- Improved AWACS, which is something we have wanted for a long time (maybe even an AWACS module)

- more different missions from mission creators, more realistic ones

- lead to the need of more full simulation russian modules, which with all the planes coming out, we do really need.

- maybe make noobies learn who they have to shoot at so after they get punished for tks

and more....

And my last preposition to this, is to make it a mission option, so if maybe someone likes the current way of IFF, they can keep it

Would love to hear what the community and devs think about this :)

• Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Remember this is a simulator (or that's the idea) so stuff should be true to real life...or as close as possible.

If your idea is how it is in real life - sure I'm onboard.

If in reality it's totally different then I'm totally against it.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

Any attempt to portray the difficulties of cooperation between forces like this is welcome in my book. I'm sure there could be high level strategizing between leaders, but I'm also sure AWACS/C3 craft play a large role in the field.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Any attempt to portray the difficulties of cooperation between forces like this is welcome in my book. I'm sure there could be high level strategizing between leaders, but I'm also sure AWACS/C3 craft play a large role in the field.

Yeah, exactly. This would bring a lot of tactical aspect to the sim, and gives the opportunity to have AWACS players (and I am pretty sure, there is a big pool of people who want to play as AWACS/GCI).

So, guys if you like the idea, spread it around :)

Sidenote: To the admin who moved the theme to the "wishlist", the reason I didn't put it here is because, it is just an idea and I want to see what people think, would it really by something people would like to have in the sim, info gathering. And after enough people have said it would be nice, then move it to the wishlist as right now it is just me wishing for it xD(and besides more people would see it in the main DCS 1.5 thread)

'Shadow'

I like the idea of more advanced IFF systems (or having some kind of working IFF systems at all), but it should be more realistic than that. At the most basic minimum I would like to have IFF systems that can be witched on and off. Currently they are always on (even if the aircraft doesn't even have IFF, like some of the WW2 modules IIRC) and it always magically knows if you're a friend or not. That's why I would prefer to have actual IFF codes to tinker with. The buttons and switches are already implemented in most aircraft we have. They just don't have any effect.

I started a thread to discuss the IFF situation in DCS a while ago. It can be found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=161240

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just a reminder that I am NOT proposing an IFF system simulation, as that is classified, but implementing the principles of how it works, which we know, mostly *^^* . After all, the sim is already trying to simulate the principles, just badly :)

'Shadow'

Just a reminder that I am NOT proposing an IFF system simulation, as that is classified, but implementing the principles of how it works, which we know, mostly *^^* . After all, the sim is already trying to simulate the principles, just badly :)

I'm also just proposing a basic IFF functionality, based on the principles of how it works. Including a functionality for IFF on/off and a simple code that needs to be matched does not require any secret information ;)

Apart from that, I'm not sure if there is anything classified about the IFF systems that would be relevant to DCS. If just the internal works of the IFF systems are classified then there is no problem at all. For a realistic implementation in DCS we only need to know what the pilot needs to do and what the resulting effects are. What the IFF system does internally shouldn't matter for DCS. But again, I'm not even proposing realistic IFF systems for DCS, just a rudimentary IFF implementation where you can turn the IFF system on/off and maybe set some code that needs to be matched.

DCS has no IFF simulation at all. It just checks the coalition of an aircraft in the game engine and that's it. There is no interaction with any aircraft systems when doing IFF checks and it is not possible to get a wrong IFF signal or get no signal at all. It is not even possible to turn IFF off.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well detecting which coalition a player is from IS still some sort of IFF.

Yours is a more in-depth, complicated solution which is going to need more time to develop. Mine is more of a quick fix idea where for example, lets say every module has a flag equal to 1 for western and 0 for Russian. If your flag is 1 and his flag is 1 shows up as friendly, no need to do anything else. If his flag returns 0, show as unidentified. Basic double if :D. Instead of checking coalition we check type of aircraft.

Would be a great start of a more complex system, like what you are proposing

'Shadow'

IFF's inner workings are secret but the way it works is not. You ping someone with a radar, signal with a message: "Please return the code", the IFF transponder then sends an encrypted message back. You can then match the transponder signal with the radar return.

I'm all for at least setting the IFF transponder codes in the planes, but only the full fidelity ones can do this at the moment and we'll have to hand-wave away the difference between the NATO, Russian, US etc transponders. Also, people have issues with using the M2000s IFF already which works even if the plane you're painting doesn't have an IFF. So now we'd be able to get shot down because we forgot to switch on and configure the IFF. :D

That said, bring it, would be great.

One more bonus for my solution. Doesn't matter if your plane is full fidelity or not, as long as it has that representative flag (0 or 1 in my example). No need to setup codes. We will have "proper" IFF. Instead of checking coalitions, check type. Simple solution, which could lead later to a more complex one as in your solutions

'Shadow'

Remember this is a simulator (or that's the idea) so stuff should be true to real life...or as close as possible.

If your idea is how it is in real life - sure I'm onboard.

If in reality it's totally different then I'm totally against it.

In reality not even NATO allies can necessarily IFF each other since each country can operate their own codes which they don´t share.

The current system only checks your coalition.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

In reality not even NATO allies can necessarily IFF each other since each country can operate their own codes which they don´t share.

The current system only checks your coalition.

But for our sake, because they'll be on the same coalition side they will have "shared" codes, and if there is a another jet of that type on the same coalition it will appear as friendly :), if not on the same coalition will appear as unidentified as well :)

Also to remind, for the people saying noobies willl have even harder time(the root of this problem is a whole other topic), should be able to select which IFF you would like to use for your mission :)

'Shadow'