Navigation assistance required

ZeeMan90

Hey guys,

are there any up-to-date guides on how to fly towards waypoints correctly?

In the tutorial I always end up getting to waypoint 1 by using the F10 Map and some guessing. The HUD symbology is not helping at all. The house symbol never moves or shows the true Waypoint location on the HUD and the triangle below the heading tape is always in the center. So it is not really helpful if I want to find out the waypoints heading.

Is there better reference for flying from waypoint to waypoint?

Regards

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base w/ VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Mk. IV Ultimate | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Winwing VIPER MIP | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO 

Set your HSI on NAV then the big arrow will point to the currently selected waypoint

This way you will know if it's better for you to turn left or right and then you can fine tune your heading using the house symbol.

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: I7 9700K @ 5Ghz - 32 Gb RAM @ 3200 - RTX 2080 super - 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 - Windows 10 pro - HOTAS Warthog - HP Reverb

Thank you :)

One more thing, red and green radio. Which one of them correspond to which colour?

Is the upper radio the "green" one because of the green encryption button and the lower red?

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base w/ VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Mk. IV Ultimate | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Winwing VIPER MIP | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO 

Hello

The HUD symbology is not helping at all.

Err...

The house symbol never moves or shows the true Waypoint location on the HUD

Put your velocity vector inside the house.

Done?

OK, you're flying direct route to the active (DEST) waypoint.

and the triangle below the heading tape is always in the center.

The triangle is not related to waypoint. It shows your current route.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Merci Monsieur,

Rakuzard explained in one of his videos that the triangle serves this very purpose. Thanks for clarifying it to me.

:pilotfly:

I have read the chapter about navigation, yet it is missing some fool-proof examples on how to properly utilize it, at least for me. The warthog has the TAD and fixed waypoints, no need to look constantly at the HSI. As soon as your nose points in to the right direction you see the square and you know thats the waypoint. Being accustomed to this lack of instrument flying, it takes a while to use them again more frequently, at least for a total rookie like me :lol:

I have read the chapter about navigation, yet it is missing some fool-proof examples on how to properly utilize it, at least for me. The warthog has the TAD and fixed waypoints, no need to look constantly at the HSI. As soon as your nose points in to the right direction you see the square and you know thats the waypoint. Being accustomed to this lack of instrument flying, it takes a while to use them again more frequently, at least for a total rookie like me :lol:

In the M2000C HUD you have the "house" symbol which shows the waypoint's direction.

When range < 10Nm and the waypoint is within HUD FoV, the "house" symbol is replaced by a " + " symbol at the waypoint's 3D position.

However, the + symbol is affected by the INS drift if enabled in options.

The HUD navigation symbols are available in NAV and AG modes.

Edited by jojo
  • Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Set your HSI on NAV then the big arrow will point to the currently selected waypoint

This way you will know if it's better for you to turn left or right and then you can fine tune your heading using the house symbol.

Yes that will give you a direct course to the waypoint from where you presently are but can you get the other needle to give you the required course select [coming from the previous waypoint]? With the course select needle you also have a course deviation indictor showing if you are off course and where to fly to, to get back on course.

I see this on the American and Russian HSI.

Yes that will give you a direct course to the waypoint from where you presently are but can you get the other needle to give you the required course select [coming from the previous waypoint]? With the course select needle you also have a course deviation indictor showing if you are off course and where to fly to, to get back on course.

I see this on the American and Russian HSI.

This function exist on the M2000C by setting the course into the PCN and selecting "RD" option PCA. However it isn't available yet in DCS AFAIK.

The "house" in the HUD guide you to get back on track and then to waypoint.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

I highly recommend going through the interactive tutorials. They are very good.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

This function exist on the M2000C by setting the course into the PCN and selecting "RD" option PCA. However it isn't available yet in DCS AFAIK.

Thanks for the info.

The course select w/deviation indicator along with waypoint heading needle instantly gives you a snapshot of your navigation awareness that allows you to fly on course. Without it you have no course reference and could easily drift off your course while flying to the waypoint.

Also the course select w/deviation indicator is a quick way to know from hundreds of miles away where you need to fly to in order to line up your landing approach. I realize ILS can take you in once you're close enough to the airfield's ILS.

Well this is an important feature for those used to navigating with it, I hope it gets implemented soon.

Thanks for the info.

The course select w/deviation indicator along with waypoint heading needle instantly gives you a snapshot of your navigation awareness that allows you to fly on course. Without it you have no course reference and could easily drift off your course while flying to the waypoint.

Also the course select w/deviation indicator is a quick way to know from hundreds of miles away where you need to fly to in order to line up your landing approach. I realize ILS can take you in once you're close enough to the airfield's ILS.

Well this is an important feature for those used to navigating with it, I hope it gets implemented soon.

This isn't how the IDN (Mirage 2000 HSI) and NAV system work, so get over it.

As I said, once you have entered the course to waypoint on PCN, and you select RD on PSA, you put the -o- in the "house" on the HUD and you stay on course.

I know a lot of people are used to US HSI, but you won't have it on Mirage 2000.

Mirage fanatic !

Thank you for your help guys. After a few more training sessions and campaign missions :joystick: , using the Mirage's navigation system is not bad either. It is just a bit unusual at first. Even more if you are used to the TAD and US HSI, but it feels like second nature now. So much that I rarely use the option to show waypoints on the VTB.

The DCS M-2000C Flight Manual is a great source of information about all the systems. Are the flight training sessions the only source of information explaining how to actually implement the systems written up in the flight manual? Are there other sources of written instructions besides Chuck's guide although for me this guide is the simplest to understand compared to the training sessions?

Edited by fitness88

The Mirage's SP Campaign goes through most elements of the training missions again. They do it in a faster pace though, as there aren't any indicators that highlight switches. Therefore you should have gone through the training sessions a few times.

Unless your are already seasoned in this matter for AAR training creating your own AAR training mission is a must. Otherwise you will only get 75 points in Mission 4 if you don't make contact and take fuel from the S-3 succesfully.

The Mirage's SP Campaign goes through most elements of the training missions again. They do it in a faster pace though, as there aren't any indicators that highlight switches. Therefore you should have gone through the training sessions a few times.

Unless your are already seasoned in this matter for AAR training creating your own AAR training mission is a must. Otherwise you will only get 75 points in Mission 4 if you don't make contact and take fuel from the S-3 succesfully.

Thanks ZeeMan90, I thought the training missions were the only teaching files, didn't realize there is a campaign that also teaches. I will check it out. I get what they are saying, I understand what the buttons/switches do...but I'm just not implementing properly.

Edit: Went into the campaign, it's a series of missions for pilots already knowing what they're doing like all other aircraft campaigns. Not a teaching platform.

Edited by fitness88

Now I have it figured out how to set nav to vor/ils or tac. Is the purpose of setting an offset point to have you fly to a point that puts you on final approach?

The purpose is the one you choose.

To use it to set up an "Initial Approach Fix" (IAF) is a good one.

Mirage fanatic !

This part of the navigation training mission is really confusing. I push the RD button but nothing happened :shocking:

This part of the navigation training mission is really confusing. I push the RD button but nothing happened :shocking:

As I said, RD doesn't work yet.:music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !