Lots of Huey Action in the Kong Movie

R1Lawsy

As the title says... those huey's are by far the best performance in the movie...

you even pull the stick back to take off....

If you can stomach the rest ;)

flying through the storm with the doors open... too good.

watched the movie. i didin't know that ch-53 was used in vietnam war.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

watched the movie. i didin't know that ch-53 was used in vietnam war.

Sure was......long live the Jolly Green and Sandy crews!! Both the A and D models were in use, as well as the HH-53, and their large carry capacity was especially helpful during operation frequent wind, where carry lots of people was necessary.

Yep, the "pulling back on stick to take-off" was a very jarring moment for me, too! Put it down to DCS-trained muscle memory saying "NO!!!".

Now, I am no expert, but when you have a violent storm system that sinks ships and planes ... what does a helicopter do that makes it your ride of choice for going through said storm?

I liked the Skull Island. THough the portrayal of US Army aviators left something to be desired. Those guys are thorough professionals! Not country yokels. "Is that a monkey?". I was slightly disappointed that CH-47 portrayed in Skull Island was not a Guns AGo-Go ACH-47 gunship. Though that program terminated in 1968, and film takes place in 1972 as US was winding down its involvement in Vietnam.

This was second Kong film that made use of UH-1.

The 1976 Dino DeLauerentis version had UH-1 C and H gunships firing 7.62 quad guns at Kong. UH-1 taking place of Curtiss Hawk biplanes of 1933 and 2005 adaptations.

IMHO the best UH-1 popular media and most instructive for our sim needs is Robert Mason's "Chickenhawk". Very detailed. Mason was Army Warrant Officer aviator for Vietnam tour '65-66 and was later UH-1 IP at Ft. Rucker. he also wrote "Solo", which was made into a 1996 film about a bionic-cyborg soldier.

To date best film adaptations of UH-1 in films are "Apocalypse Now", and "We Were Soldiers". Both deal with US Army 7th Cavalry Rgt. (Air Cavalry). There is also an IMAX documentary "Sky Soldiers", on NETFLIX.

For AirCav in Vietnam and 1960's and 1970's AirCav operations in Central Europe and Korea, we need LOAH OH-6 Little Bird, CH-47 , ACH-47 Guns AGo-Go, and AH-1 Cobra modules.