polish AF discussion..

szymon81

And the JF-17, the Gripen, Mig-35 don't have high tech equipment? I'm sure that it's just a case of hype from one side (f-16 good, come on, it's good enough, but it's no star) and too little infromation from the other, especially the Chinese and Russian corner of cheap multirole aircraft sold to unstable nations. I'm still biased to say that it depends on where you live and with whom your country deals with. I'm sure the salesmen from Lockheed Martin agree, given their very probably and recent debacle with the Indian Air Force.

No, polished hub caps won't convince a country to buy F-16s, it's usually politics and clandestine deals (a courtesy of our beloved Lockheed).

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just noticed that most of F16s have orange conopy shields. Polish have more like Gripen or Hornet once (petrol colour)...

A quick Google reveals two things . . .

Firstly, the gold coating reduces RCS by hiding the inside of the cockpit - all sharp edges, bad for radar reflections. And technically classified on US aircraft. Could be an export issue.

Secondly, it's apparently incompatible with NVG use . . . . so with the gradual re-roling of the F-16 from day fighter to multirole strike aircraft over the years, that'd make sense.

These double sitting F-16 are so ugly. When I am looking on faring I remind Alien film and its long snout.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

• 4 months later...
Gripen its more maneuverability but Delta wing is one turn wing :)

Maybe your old 70s aircraft. Gripen does 20+ dps SUSTAINED

turn rate with full internal fuel - It also supercruises with clean payload.

It's a low drag construction but suffers from poor T/W that could affect

acceleration back up to speed/ability to go vertical.

F-16 might be dead before he gets a shot off if we are to trust a guy called "Cheneirfox" at youtube

claiming he is an f-16 pilot and fought gripens in simulators many times (still he

has zero kills vs it, both bvr and wvr ;)) - Real amraams aren't 100% search and destroy irl unlike a certain game....,

and neither would you have super spike from radar @ 60 + nm letting you know

where your enemy is ;)

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

It also supercruises with clean payload.
What's the use of supercruise without any weapons ? Anyway, all jets that have 1:1 thrust ratio and are designed to go supersonic, will supercruise without stores. Su-27 do that, F-14 did that and F-16 do that too. But non of them is F-22A which can supercruise loaded with weapons, and throw them further than anything else. So supercruise when talking about <5th gen. fighters like Gripens and Vipers - is pointless, totally unrelated with real life.

And BTW delta is an delta, physics didn't change since the 70's :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

What's the use of supercruise without any weapons ? Anyway, all jets that have 1:1 thrust ratio and are designed to go supersonic, will supercruise without stores. Su-27 do that, F-14 did that and F-16 do that too. But non of them is F-22A which can supercruise loaded with weapons, and throw them further than anything else. So supercruise when talking about <5th gen. fighters like Gripens and Vipers - is pointless, totally unrelated with real life.

And BTW delta is an delta, physics didn't change since the 70's :smilewink:

No but the plane designs did.

Just like how US/Russia prefers to design their planes in their own way,

European designs are mostly delta, and all of these NEWER models mostly have

really good sustained turn rates.

I mentioned the super cruise to give perspective on the low drag.

Note that gripen only has 0.88 TWR with full internal fuel clean payload. That is a very low number,

and the dry is much much lower than that - a big disadvantage in many situations, however NOT in horizontal

sustained turns due to the design.

We can sit and argue about which is best for this and that, but that will not likely lead anywhere.

My point is I do not agree with what was said about how it bleeds speed and how it was presented that

it would perform BVR vs f-16.

Lots of talk about how f-16 was "bribed into service". I can tell you Gripen salesgroup are the same, .... or worse.

A lot of this stuff has been shown in swedish media...before it got hushed down....

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, crazy photos you've got there Kusch!

I attended Kecskemet airshow last week and I was surprised to see no Polish Vipers and Fulcrums there! But Polish Fitters impressed me a lot!

I took some photos of static and air display birds and I hope I'll post them soon here at forums. You see my MoBo gave up on me when I returned from Hungary and I have over 1GB of photos from the airshow on my HDD so I hope I'll share it within a week.

You see, getting a new S478 MoBo these days is...uumph...PITA so you gotta be patient with me.

Of course, the pics I took are not good as ones Kusch posted above but there's many!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kusch, just one more thing,

Please tell me is Polish AF satisfied with it's purchase of F-16. The main reason me asking it is the obvious decision to send Fulcrums to Orlik2 instead of F-16!

NP Poko!

F-16s didn't achieved their combat readiness yet, so no missions abroad, and no air shows outside Poland either. All 3 squadrons will be ready by 2012, and somewhere around that date, they will be patrolling skies over Iceland.

The 3rd ELT will be combat ready next year, so maybe they will send one or two jets to some air shows, but doubt if there would be more than static display - combat training is a priority, aerobatics display will come with time (after media will cut those guy's some slack, so they can push those jets bit harder to know them better).

And yes, the Air Force guy's are very pleased and positively surprised with the "Hawks", especialy as these beat anything they were flying earlier, and train on in the States (USAF Block 40s and 50s).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

And yes, the Air Force guy's are very pleased and positively surprised with the "Hawks", especialy as these beat anything they were flying earlier, and train on in the States (USAF Block 40s and 50s).

100% agreed :)

Give me "flying telephone pole" (SA-2)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...