[FIXED INTERNALLY] Static Object <10 mile Visibility Distance

SonofEil

It's been almost 7 months since this was reported with NO word that I can find from ED. Can this please get some traction? Thanks.

Confirmed reported in August.

Yeah guys its been reported. Overall the rendering seems to go from 12km on low view distance settings to 20km on extreme. Which is sub-optimal considering you can easily spot tanks through optics at higher ranges than that. Hopefully it'll get addressed soon.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any news about this? Is this something that the team is working on currently?

I know that it is probably annoying to keep hearing about this issue but it is a big one. It makes it pretty much impossible to fly strike missions that involve the targeting pod and any static objects. This kind of thing can really grind otherwise normal missions to a halt until it is fixed.

Please, just let us know where we stand on this. It is a pretty huge deal.

I know this is one small parameter change, like M61 accuracy, that would take literally ten seconds to fix. So fiix it please.

Actually, it’s been over eight months since ED broke something that was never a problem previously. I’m tired of asking nicely.

FIX IT.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this but has there been any movement towards fixing this. Now that we are about to get the Tomcat and its targeting pod, being able to spot and identify placed static objects (used as mission objectives) is going to be quite important. Not being able to spot any static object out past 8 nautical miles is a pretty serious issue to say the least.

I don't mean to pester or anything but this is a huge deal and perhaps not a fix that would require a ton of man-hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Did some digging on this earlier in the week and figured out it is a config issue.

With your autoexec.cfg file you can change the setting for "dynamic" corresponding to whichever your view distance is set to. For example in my autoexec.cfg file I've got this to change the value:

options.graphics.Camera.High.dynamic = {300, 60000}

Makes em visible at 60 km.

Where is this autoexec.cfg file? I have autoexec.lua in two different folders, but neither of them have the line you posted.

C:\Users\<windowsUserName>\Saved Games\DCS\Config folder. If you don't have an autoexec in there then make one. Add the line. This file is useful for any custom config changes that'd always get overwritten on updates if you modified the other autoexec file. For instance mine is just the following. First thing adds a where all the textures for my squadrons livery pack are stored, the 2nd changes screenshots to jpg, and the 3rd is the graphics change.

table.insert(options.graphics.VFSTexturePaths, "C:/Users/myWindowsLogin/Saved Games/DCS/Liveries/DFASharedLiveries")
 options.graphics.ScreenshotExt = 'jpg'

Thanks for digging this up Grimes. I knew it was likely to be a config parameter somewhere I just couldn't find the correct one in my testing.

And since creating this thread I've gone VR so I can't see 10 miles anyways now.:smilewink:

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Can't get this work. Anybody like to upload a working autoexec.cfg file? Please. I can't stand the 10 mile radius with the LANTIRN.

Are you using the "High" preset in game? Grimes example only modifies the High preset.

If you're on Extreme or Ultra, nothing will be affected. To change the top three presets with this setting put below lines in autoexec.cfg:

options.graphics.Camera.Ultra.dynamic = {300, 60000}
options.graphics.Camera.Extreme.dynamic = {300, 60000}

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

options.graphics.Camera.Ultra.dynamic = {300, 60000}

What is the first parameter used for? Is there a way to increase the overall rendering distance(cities...)?

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Is there a way to increase the overall rendering distance(cities...)?

In graphics.lua line 330 (see image below for reference):

distancFactor = {

Low = 0.5;

Medium = 0.7;

High = 1.0;

Ultra = 1.2;

Extreme = 1.5;

};

pick the one that you have chosen in your options, I presume you use Extreme setting so if you want to double the draw distance of cities etc you would set it to

distancFactor = {

Low = 0.5;

Medium = 0.7;

High = 1.0;

Ultra = 1.2;

Extreme = 3.0;

};

Beware this also affects the render distance of trees/forests, I generally put the slider to 50% when using this 3.0 setting as this causes strange issues with whole areas of forests/objects disappearing on the Caucasus map.

drawdist.thumb.jpg.d406a8189f81c573ff29aca32e4b7b92.jpg

Edited by Mustang

Hey, Grimes...on a semi-related note, do you think it's possible that the currently limited laser range in DCS could be a function of some obscure value in a lua file somewhere? It's interesting that the default value for static visibility on high is 14000m which is right about the 8.4± mile limit.

@Mustang

Thank you very much! :thumbup: :beer:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

If you don't have an autoexec in there then make one. Add the line. This file is useful for any custom config changes that'd always get overwritten on updates if you modified the other autoexec file.

Excuse my ignorance but is the autoexec file supposed to be saved as a .lua in Notepad ++? Do I manually add the .cfg suffix so that it looks like “autoexec.cfg”? Sorry, I don’t know how this “inside baseball” coder stuff works.

But in Notepad++ there isn’t a .cfg option in the “Save as Type” dropdown.

File -> Save As

File Name: “autoexec.cfg”

Save as Type: ???

Set it to "All Types" and enter your mentioned file name "autoexec.cfg"