Throttle finger lift

Hi, sorry for my dumb question.

but what is the function of the throttle finger lift?

I've noticed that, without using it, in a catapult launch, afterburner doesn't engage. you can engage it after takeoff from carrier moving trhottles again.

Furthermore if i set to idle my throttle, without using it, my idle rpm is around 70%.

but using it my idle is "more idle" (throttle go more way back) to about 65%.

What is the usage of the finger lift in a normal way?

thank you so much.

I5-7600K@4,8Ghz - G Skill TridentZ 16Gb 3200 CL14 - Aorus GTX 1080TI - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 - Lenovo 24'' 1440p - Hotas Warthog - TrackIR 5

DCS 2.5 OB - M2000C - Mig21Bis - A10C - FC3 - AJS37 Viggen - F5E - AV8B N/A - F/A18 C - L 39 Albatros - Bf109 - Spitfire - P51D - Black Shark 2 - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Normandy

• ED Team

Throttles has two detents. One for afterburner range on carrier and the other for Flight IDLE in the air. If you want to select the afterburner on a catapult or Ground IDLE in the air, you should use fingerlifts to overcome detents.

Move throttles between OFF and IDLE settings. These can be mapped for throttles like the Warthog.

i have a hotas warthog throttle.

so if i use finger lift to shutdown engine, it will works?

because i've tried without it and engine doesn't shut down.

I5-7600K@4,8Ghz - G Skill TridentZ 16Gb 3200 CL14 - Aorus GTX 1080TI - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 - Lenovo 24'' 1440p - Hotas Warthog - TrackIR 5

DCS 2.5 OB - M2000C - Mig21Bis - A10C - FC3 - AJS37 Viggen - F5E - AV8B N/A - F/A18 C - L 39 Albatros - Bf109 - Spitfire - P51D - Black Shark 2 - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Normandy

Move throttles between OFF and IDLE settings. These can be mapped for throttles like the Warthog.
Is there a way to make the throttles come out of off and into idle using the detent on the warthog stick?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Throttles has two detents. One for afterburner range on carrier and the other for Flight IDLE in the air. If you want to select the afterburner on a catapult or Ground IDLE in the air, you should use fingerlifts to overcome detents.

ok, so for AB in a catapult launch i must use fingerlift.

once airborne i can engage AB without it, right?

In a normal flight i shouln't use ground idle in flight, if i understood correctly.

During a flight i should use flight idle position, right?

Ground idle position is for ground operation only, right?

Edited by Solid84

Yes, that is what I do.

thank you very much

is there any way to remove the finger lift option and simply tweak the throttle curve so that it goes into AB when we pass a certain point ?

thats what I do on other AB planes and my Cougar.

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Yes, that is what I do.

just tried, but for the shut down position, fingerlift doesn't work... at least for me on my hotas warthog.

• ED Team
ok, so for AB in a catapult launch i must use fingerlift.

once airborne i can engage AB without it, right?

Yes.

In a normal flight i shouln't use ground idle in flight, if i understood correctly.

During a flight i should use flight idle position, right?

Yes.

Ground idle position, using fingerlift, is for ground operation, right?

Yes, but on the ground fingrelifts aren't needed.

Yes, but on the ground fingrelifts aren't needed.

yes, i've just tried this, and i've corrected my message :-)

I can see the finger lifts move, but they have no effect on stopping me from going into AB.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

i have tried messing with this and it seems that on the warthog throttle, the buttons 29 and 30 are actually 'pressed/triggered' when the throttle is brought over the detent and put in cut off.

so if you assign the "idle/off" action, or the "idle" to buttons 29 and 30, in order to move the throttle into idle during a start up, you have to actually put it into the cutoff position to trigger the button then back out and it will be in idle and ready to use.

i know in the A-10 module, you can start the sim with the throttles all the way back in cut-off state, and when they are moves to idle the throttle int he sim will move to idle..

other than the way described above, i cant seem to get the hornet to do the same thing, only triggering button 29/30 by putting it into cutton off then back out.

If there is another way please help me understand by clarifying which action to assign to which button

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

i have tried messing with this and it seems that on the warthog throttle, the buttons 29 and 30 are actually 'pressed/triggered' when the throttle is brought over the detent and put in cut off.

so if you assign the "idle/off" action, or the "idle" to buttons 29 and 30, in order to move the throttle into idle during a start up, you have to actually put it into the cutoff position to trigger the button then back out and it will be in idle and ready to use.

i know in the A-10 module, you can start the sim with the throttles all the way back in cut-off state, and when they are moves to idle the throttle int he sim will move to idle..

other than the way described above, i cant seem to get the hornet to do the same thing, only triggering button 29/30 by putting it into cutton off then back out.

If there is another way please help me understand by clarifying which action to assign to which button

I think for now you have it right. I don't think that the "detect joystick settings on start" works at the moment with the F/A-18 and the warthog, so you need to go to idle and then back into cutoff for the sim to recognize where it's at. After that, it appears to work fine.

I actually don't get it. I’m using Wags hog profile and the finger lifts not staying up after i pass the indent and so no afterburner in the carrier... plus by choosing to use the indents for the finger lifts i lose the option of introducing fuel to the engines when starting up by going from off to idle...

I actually don't get it. I’m using Wags hog profile and the finger lifts not staying up after i pass the indent and so no afterburner in the carrier... plus by choosing to use the indents for the finger lifts i lose the option of introducing fuel to the engines when starting up by going from off to idle...

It’s two different controller mappings from what I know. You have an idle/off which controls the cutoff/idle motion at start/stop. You also have a mappigg for fingerlift that controls the things like AB selection with the launch bar extended, etc. check and see what you have mapped to each.

It’s two different controller mappings from what I know. You have an idle/off which controls the cutoff/idle motion at start/stop. You also have a mappigg for fingerlift that controls the things like AB selection with the launch bar extended, etc. check and see what you have mapped to each.

Yes on the game it’s two different mappings but on the tm warthog it’s the same indent, and so you have to choose one or the other, but it doesn't work anyway and i explained why above.

i don't use the finger lifts and i seem to be able to get off the deck of the carrier pretty easily. Whether that is because AB is activated, even without the finger lifts, or that the AB isn't essential to take off from a carrier, i can't say. next time i will check out the external view, to see if the ABs light up before take off.

Map the fingerlifts to something different. Unless Wags mapped the button to lift the fingerlifts on button release and permently keep them lifted(button is triggered in the cutoff position), I’m not sure how you could make that work for both functions.

Map the fingerlifts to something different. Unless Wags mapped the button to lift the fingerlifts on button release and permently keep them lifted(button is triggered in the cutoff position), I’m not sure how you could make that work for both functions.

Yes i have now mapped it. When i’m holding said button and push the throttle it goes all the way as intended. So now i do get burner on carrier.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, that is what I do.

I am a noob to DCS so I don't have much experience mapping buttons to the HOTAS. Could you explain what I need to do or share your mapping exported to an HTML file. I have the TM Warthog HOTAS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to export the retractable inflight idle and carrier launch AB detents?

I have the ability to add these features to my throttle. I was going to use the activation parameters detailed below to extrapolate the required conditions, but then I read that in high G maneuvers, the in-flight idle detent may retract allowing the throttle to move to ground idle. So, it seems an ideal solution is to have the retractable detent data exported directly.

From Natops:

Advancing the throttles from OFF to IDLE (during engine start) opens the engine fuel control

shutoff valves and activates engine ignition. Finger lifts, on the front of each throttle, must be raised

to place the throttles OFF. With weight on the wheels, launch bar retracted and the arresting hook UP

or with weight off the wheels, afterburner operation is initiated by advancing the throttles through the

MIL detent gates into MAX. On the ground, an afterburner lockout system helps guard against

inadvertent afterburner selection. With weight on the wheels and launch bar extended or the arresting

hook DOWN, the afterburner lockout extends and the finger lifts must be raised or a force of

approximately 32 pounds must be applied before the throttles can be moved to MAX. A retractable

inflight IDLE stop extends with weight off the wheels and provides a higher IDLE rpm and reduced

acceleration time to MIL.

NOTE

During high g maneuvers when moving the throttle to idle, the flight

idle stop may retract and allow selection of ground idle.

With weight on the wheels, the inflight stop is retracted and the ground IDLE stop is used. Moving

the throttles to OFF closes the engine fuel control shutoff valves, stopping fuel flow to the engines.

• 1 year later...
is there any way to remove the finger lift option and simply tweak the throttle curve so that it goes into AB when we pass a certain point ?

thats what I do on other AB planes and my Cougar.

i want the opposite - i want AB to not engage in flight without detent. too easy to punch by accident