Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

2 hours ago, MarkMD said:

Mission tonight?

Hi guys, was it just me, or is there a mission on tonight?  We’ve had some great fights over the last few nights, it’s been a great battle both in the air, and on the ground. It takes a lot to get my blood moving, but it’s been pumping well over the last week.

Fingers crossed for some good team work on both sides…

See you all in the next fight…

Mike-Delta

Search & Destroy kicks off in about 2.5 hours.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

39 minutes ago, Alphaless said:

Alpenwolf,

Do you plan on including the AGM-45 Shrikes in that A-4 mission you are creating? I'd imagine for game balance we'd want their use, if any, to be quite limited.

well fortunately the shrikes have a pretty terrible PK, and in order to get to the range at which a kill is more likely than not, you would be better off with a Zuni.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Alphaless said:

Alpenwolf,

Do you plan on including the AGM-45 Shrikes in that A-4 mission you are creating? I'd imagine for game balance we'd want their use, if any, to be quite limited.

Yes, I am.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

17 hours ago, Alphaless said:

Alpenwolf,

Balance 😄

You know red will get nukes? 😄

Alpen will build a nice mission.

• Like 4

On 2/10/2022 at 1:02 PM, MarkMD said:

As a tank commander, I would regularly get off the tank and look around, I’ve even stood on the tank while moving. This is a perfectly acceptable move, granted the hight is a little high.

As for cheating, I think that’s a little harsh. I do take offence to that statement. I understand your meaning, but please think before posting those type of comments. 

I go to great lengths to play fair, I have listened to other players, I realty call missiles fired out, unless I see them from the ground. 

We have lots of things required for ÇA, but it’s moving in a good direction. 

thanks,

Mike-Delta. 

Not sure if you ever played a WWII game called Red Orchestra, but when they made a sequel to it and removed the ability for crews to exit their tanks it pretty much ruined tank gameplay for exactly that reason - I couldn't get out and check out the other side of a wall or such by climbing on top of the thing or going around it like in the first game. The main reason cited for tethering the crew to the vehicle? People used to complain about "tank jumping", where someone would bail right before an incoming shell hit them, so a kill wouldn't be awarded. That was only possible because the original game's physics engine required shell velocities to be about half what they should have been, a problem the sequel didn't have, but by then the damage was done 😔

On 2/11/2022 at 5:44 AM, LLv34_Vellu said:

I'am new with DCS but two decades with IL2 series. Right now DCS started to interest more.

I wonder why this server plane set does not include Mirage 2000C or A-4.

Both are Cold War age planes and I think they would be quite popular.

LLv34_Vellu

The A-4E being an unofficial mod means there are a lot of potential issues with using it on a public multiplayer server, versus a private community where all players can be assured to have the mod installed and up to date. As for the Mirage - it's a monster, and fairly effortlessly destroys any other plane in the server regardless of player skill. The issue is mainly in that its fly-by-wire makes any manoeuvre absolutely trivial at either the high or low end of its flight envelope. It's a shame that's the case, as it has the best radar simulation currently in the game and this new unreliability would be a lot of fun here, but it isn't fun to fight against. The only thing that could really threaten it was a perfectly-flown MiG-29, and those are not as common as incompetently-flown ones, sadly.

On 2/13/2022 at 7:06 AM, Alphaless said:

Alpenwolf,

They're honestly pretty crap, I doubt it'll be too much of a concern - especially if red's tac comm can silence the radars, or if the SAMs in question are mobile at all.

Edited by rossmum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rossmum said:

Not sure if you ever played a WWII game called Red Orchestra, but when they made a sequel to it and removed the ability for crews to exit their tanks it pretty much ruined tank gameplay for exactly that reason - I couldn't get out and check out the other side of a wall or such by climbing on top of the thing or going around it like in the first game. The main reason cited for tethering the crew to the vehicle? People used to complain about "tank jumping", where someone would bail right before an incoming shell hit them, so a kill wouldn't be awarded. That was only possible because the original game's physics engine required shell velocities to be about half what they should have been, a problem the sequel didn't have, but by then the damage was done 😔

As for tank battles, I think Post Scriptum is by far the best out there as of now. They released some armour upgrade last November. That's when I started paying attention to it. Looks very promising.

Just imagine the Combined Arms module getting there some day.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

3 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

As for tank battles, I think Post Scriptum is by far the best out there as of now. They released some armour upgrade last November. That's when I started paying attention to it. Looks very promising.

Just imagine the Combined Arms module getting there some day.

I used to play some Post Scriptum with a realism group although not in tanks. Back then the vehicles could run around like cockroaches and it was less than realistic but maybe that has changed. I have been playing some ARMA 3 lately and really enjoy it much more than PS but that may be because it is a true sandbox like DCS.

I doubt I will live long enough for computers to be able to handle the load of a both a rich ground war and properly simulated air war but there is always hope.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Potential Bug FIGHT ISLAND  @Alpenwolf& @rossmum

Another warehouse glitch.
When REDFOR faction (might apply to BLUFOR too) holds Qheshm Field, all RRR is availabe EXCEPT the Ataka AAM.
Again the prompt is just.. not prompting.. at all.
Probably again a DCS hotfix/update glitch and the warehouse needs to be replaced (for both factions)

image.png

image.png
image.png aso aso, everything available

Thank you in advance for looking that up whenever there is time (also: can't remember if the Petrovich-reticle is minimized on this one already) .

P.S: In Oil & Water Petrovich-reticle is still full, just fyi jic 4 bulletpoints

9 hours ago, rogorogo said:

Potential Bug FIGHT ISLAND  @Alpenwolf& @rossmum

Another warehouse glitch.
When REDFOR faction (might apply to BLUFOR too) holds Qheshm Field, all RRR is availabe EXCEPT the Ataka AAM.
Again the prompt is just.. not prompting.. at all.
Probably again a DCS hotfix/update glitch and the warehouse needs to be replaced (for both factions)

image.png

image.png
image.png aso aso, everything available

Thank you in advance for looking that up whenever there is time (also: can't remember if the Petrovich-reticle is minimized on this one already) .

P.S: In Oil & Water Petrovich-reticle is still full, just fyi jic 4 bulletpoints

Thanks for reporting - Fixed.

• Thanks 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Just had my first flight in a while back in DCS after a break from Multiplayer and was reminded to why this server is the greatest online. Having some amazing teamwork with another Hind working over one of Alpens masterfully created target areas really reaffirmed to me what this server has always offered really well, that being diverse and challenging, yet rewarding target areas. I really hope that those with whom might be trying other servers return to what has always been very loyal and rewarding to them, as this server is made by those whom fly and fight in it! Hope to see you in the virtual skies of the Cold War server soon! 

• Like 6

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

20 minutes ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Just had my first flight in a while back in DCS after a break from Multiplayer and was reminded to why this server is the greatest online. Having some amazing teamwork with another Hind working over one of Alpens masterfully created target areas really reaffirmed to me what this server has always offered really well, that being diverse and challenging, yet rewarding target areas. I really hope that those with whom might be trying other servers return to what has always been very loyal and rewarding to them, as this server is made by those whom fly and fight in it! Hope to see you in the virtual skies of the Cold War server soon! 

Whats your callsign in DSC? Always nice to know some team oriented Hind driver.

[FLAPS 1-3 | Grim]  🙂

Edited by MMI_Grim

For whatever reason I don't have the DCS Cleanup option. Anyone knows what might be causing that? I repaired DCS and still nothing, but that's a different function.

Untitled.png

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Alpenwolf:

For whatever reason I don't have the DCS Cleanup option. Anyone knows what might be causing that? I repaired DCS and still nothing, but that's a different function.

Untitled.png

that seems to be as it should be (cutout from my Windows Menu looks the same) 
image.png
from the last time I had to move my install (quite recently) and managed to kill all my binds nonetheless I seem to remember that the "clean" is now integrated into a repair, offering a cleanup both after a quick and an extensive repair.

Btw - the server hung up on the second rotation after the LotATC live too, DM'd all the info I could gather (mission itself again flawless and performant) from the 4 clients connected at the time.

Server News:

- Operation Prince of Persia kicks off this Friday, 25.02.2022, around 1900 zulu
- Operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed kicks off this Saturday, 26.02.2022, around 1800 zulu (not 1900)
- Operation Search & Destroy kicks off this Sunday, 27.02.2022, around 1800 zulu (not 1900)

Notes:
The new mission featuring the A-4 mod, operation Arab-Israeli War, is almost finished. I've been testing the mod a bit and it's really good. I can only recommend it, but it's NOT required. It's only 1 GB if not less in case your hard drive permits it. If you don't own the mod, the A-4 will appear as a "Su-27", but will still behave as the A-4 is supposed to within the parameters of the mod.

Some of you have asked me about operation Swedish Delivery. I will have to redesign it to hopefully fix whatever bug killed it after one of the recent DCS updates. Hunting down unknown bugs that come out of nowhere is really not fun at all. Ending up redesigning a complete mission as a result and after trying out many fixes is even less fun work. Bear with me, please.

• Thanks 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

45 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

- Operation Prince of Persia kicks off this Friday, 25.02.2022, around 1900 zulu
- Operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed kicks off this Saturday, 26.02.2022, around 1800 zulu (not 1900)
- Operation Search & Destroy kicks off this Sunday, 27.02.2022, around 1800 zulu (not 1900)

Notes:
The new mission featuring the A-4 mod, operation Arab-Israeli War, is almost finished. I've been testing the mod a bit and it's really good. I can only recommend it, but it's NOT required. It's only 1 GB if not less in case your hard drive permits it. If you don't own the mod, the A-4 will appear as a "Su-27", but will still behave as the A-4 is supposed to within the parameters of the mod.

Some of you have asked me about operation Swedish Delivery. I will have to redesign it to hopefully fix whatever bug killed it after one of the recent DCS updates. Hunting down unknown bugs that come out of nowhere is really not fun at all. Ending up redesigning a complete mission as a result and after trying out many fixes is even less fun work. Bear with me, please.

I installed and tested the A-4 mod when you announced this mission a while back. Its flight model is far less fantastical than it used to be, which is a good thing.

However, it did trigger Integrity Check after a few days with it on. I turned it off when it triggered IC. I did not bother to research why, as I don't really plan to fly the thing.

I sincerely hope the A-4 is successful, as it would be a nice addition to the server.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

1 hour ago, Raviar said:

I am not sure if it is by purpose, The A-10s cant load LAU-88 in The Phone Booth mission in result the triple AGM-65 cant be loaded

Fixed. Thanks for reporting.

36 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

I installed and tested the A-4 mod when you announced this mission a while back. Its flight model is far less fantastical than it used to be, which is a good thing.

However, it did trigger Integrity Check after a few days with it on. I turned it off when it triggered IC. I did not bother to research why, as I don't really plan to fly the thing.

I sincerely hope the A-4 is successful, as it would be a nice addition to the server.

Might wanna report that to the developers maybe?

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

57 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Might wanna report that to the developers maybe?

I should and normally would but when it happened I was trying to fly so the most expedient solution was to turn the damn thing off.

I didn't bother to record which A-4 file triggered the IC. If I report it, they will want to know which file triggered it, which will require I turn it back and try to make it happen again.

I am in a particularly sour mood towards DCS this morning so my motivation to bug hunt for a module that has caused me large amounts of grief in the past is low. Maybe later this afternoon I will regain the fire required to alpha test the A-4 some more.

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg