20 Series Virtual link Port

Tinkickef

On another thread an intriguing post was made about connecting two Rift sensors, the HDMI and the Rift USB into it, presumably through some type of adapter set up.

It may be that I got hold of the wrong end of the stick and my excitement is misplaced, however if it is correct, how was this achieved and what hardware do I need to get? I have the notorious, intermittent vertical tracking blip issue when looking over the right shoulder, and am hoping that this may provide a resolution to it.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Yes that was I that posted that.

I have been running my complete Oculus setup through the new Virtual Link Port on my 2080 Ti for about 10 days now, and am very pleased with it.

This is the adapter I got to hook it up:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSPWWB7?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

I chose that one as it has three USB 3 ports along with the HDMI connector. I had no idea if this was going to work when I ordered it, but had to give it a shot. Shut the PC down, plugged it all in , booted up and Windows recognized it no problem. Put the headset on and Rift started up and have been using it since. Tracking has been solid, and have had no USB disconnect issues.

Now I will say, I will very occasionally get a very quick flash of white in my display. It is so fast it almost like the sun hits my canopy very briefly. It is so occasional and quick it does not really bother me, but it is happening for some reason. May just be a driver issue for the C-Port and go away as the drivers mature for it, time will tell. It certainly is not enough of a bother for me to go back to my original hookup.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes that was I that posted that.

I have been running my complete Oculus setup through the new Virtual Link Port on my 2080 Ti for about 10 days now, and am very pleased with it.

This is the adapter I got to hook it up:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSPWWB7?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

I chose that one as it has three USB 3 ports along with the HDMI connector. I had no idea if this was going to work when I ordered it, but had to give it a shot. Shut the PC down, plugged it all in , booted up and Windows recognized it no problem. Put the headset on and Rift started up and have been using it since. Tracking has been solid, and have had no USB disconnect issues.

Now I will say, I will very occasionally get a very quick flash of white in my display. It is so fast it almost like the sun hits my canopy very briefly. It is so occasional and quick it does not really bother me, but it is happening for some reason. May just be a driver issue for the C-Port and go away as the drivers mature for it, time will tell. It certainly is not enough of a bother for me to go back to my original hookup.

Thanks for the advice and recommendation Don.

I just ordered it. Since it is coming from the US, it should be here in around two weeks. :)

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Thanks for the advice and recommendation Don.

I just ordered it. Since it is coming from the US, it should be here in around two weeks. :)

:thumbup:

I look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks Hakjar. Very informative. Don is certainly a brave man plugging his new device into the back of his brand new 2080TI.

I wonder if his hands were shaking... :megalol:

I think the community owes Don a virtual beer for taking 99% of the risk away from the rest of us...

Yamas!

6017813957_dd86cbd5b8_b.jpg

Edited by Tinkickef

Thanks Hakjar. Very informative. Don is certainly a brave man plugging his new device into the back of his brand new 2080TI.

I wonder if his hands were shaking... :megalol:

I think the community owes Don a virtual beer for taking 99% of the risk away from the rest of us...

Yamas!

Thanks much, I shall enjoy that virtual beer !

I went into it really thinking that - well this will likely not work.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

I can't believe Oculus is not advertising this new feature of the 20x series of cards. Setup of the Rift can be a thorn for them, what with all the different USB ports and motherboards with issues they can cause, resulting in poor sensor tracking warnings, usb disconnects , etc.

If the headset mfg's would come out with their own adapters for the new Virtual Link ports and offer them as an accessory, that would help as well. I am sure next gen of VR products will probably include them.

Don B

Oh and one more note.

If you did not select the C-Port driver when you installed your Nvidia drivers for the new 20x card, you will need to be sure and do so before hooking your Rift up to it.

When I did my clean driver install after getting this 2080 Ti, I installed:

Driver

C-Port

NGX

PhysX

Don B

Just did this with the same USB adapter you used. Works perfect with everything plugged into it. Nice to have a few USB port back! Thxs!

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

Just did this with the same USB adapter you used. Works perfect with everything plugged into it. Nice to have a few USB port back! Thxs!

Have fun!!

Don B

Quite an interesting way to make use of the port. I, on the other hand, use it to power my internal USB fans via USB C to A adapter :)

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Quite an interesting way to make use of the port. I, on the other hand, use it to power my internal USB fans via USB C to A adapter :)

VR is why we have it in the 20x series of cards.

A consortium representing many of VR’s most prominent players—NVIDIA, AMD, Valve, Oculus, and Microsoft—have backed a new connector standard called VirtualLink which the companies say was “developed to meet the connectivity requirements of current and next-generation virtual reality (VR) headsets.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/virtuallink-port-next-generation-vr-headset-connection-nvidia-amd-valve-oculus-microsoft/

Don B

Has any one tried using this card to connect the Vive to the GTX 2080?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

Bah! Was expecting to have it in my grubby fingers yesterday, but it is being held up by customs inspectors in the shed at Stanstead Airport for some reason ::(:

Probably time for a teabreak....

Edited by Tinkickef