BVR vs F14 (Iran): help me !

itarrow

OK so I am flying the Hornet over Persian Gulf campaign (DCE) and I consistently get destroyed by a CAP of Iranian F14s.

They get a lock on me well before I can get a lock on them, always. Flying high, flying low, they don’t care, they get me (I’m over the sea so there’s not lot of places where to hide).

Then they start firing AIM54s and I go into defensive. If I manage to avoid them, meanwhile they get closer (and still with a lock) and shoot AIM7s and keep shooting while I still have to get a lock of them.

Is there anything I should do to finally have a chance against them, or at least at the moment (with some radar feature still missing and no jammer) I should simply try to stay away from those Tomcats ?

Powerful radar (AWG-9) in the F-14 + AIM-54 built for long range fleet defense.

Here are a few great videos by Growling Sidewinder, going up against the F-14.

Update

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

w

That stuff is going to be scary on MP servers. A wing of f14s could do some serious damage.

I understand many server will prohibit loading AIM-54s on them just like many already prohibit using AIM-120s to have a level playfield.

Otherwise, yeah, these guys are going to be pretty powerful at distance. Once in the merge it‘s a totally different game though.:smilewink:

Edited by Hog_No32

To be fair he is going up against a very old AI asset that has not had its 3d model, flight model and avionics updated since at least FC2.

plus the AI are all seeing eyes anyways.

ID suggest that a flyoff be done when heatblurs F14 module is released, and against a live player preferably.

what should also be noted is that the Hornets ECM is not functional yet. If that worked the Tomcat wouldn't have been able to lock on and fire at such range as it did.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Is the F-18 in real life also as weak against the F-14 like in DCS? Or is there going to be an update that will make the F-18 much stronger? I wonder why all the US F-14 went out of service despite of their strength. In another forum some people even claimed that the F-14 was a weak fighter, which was hard for me to believe. lol

OK after further testing I can definitively confirm that Iran's F14s are way above my current capabilities.

A CAP of 2 F14s against me and an AI wingman is hell. They spam AIM54s which has to be notched and therefore I can't get near them enough to at least try to shoot and put them on defensive.

So thanks all but my current only option left is run as fast as I can if I see a "14" on my EWR, even if I'm on a fighter sweep...

Dont give up so quickly! You got to approach the F-14s while flying near the ground. Every time you see a missile launched at you from more than 10 nm, you can assume that it is a Phoenix missile. Then you go defensive and let the F-14s follow you. Once they are closer than 10 nm you should try to involve them in a doghfight, because a F-18 is way better in dogfights than a F-14.

Also you can try to harass a F-14 by launching an AMRAAM at him from long distance to force him going defensive, before he can launche his own Phoenix missiles.

OK so I am flying the Hornet over Persian Gulf campaign (DCE) and I consistently get destroyed by a CAP of Iranian F14s.

They get a lock on me well before I can get a lock on them, always. Flying high, flying low, they don’t care, they get me (I’m over the sea so there’s not lot of places where to hide).

Then they start firing AIM54s and I go into defensive. If I manage to avoid them, meanwhile they get closer (and still with a lock) and shoot AIM7s and keep shooting while I still have to get a lock of them.

Is there anything I should do to finally have a chance against them, or at least at the moment (with some radar feature still missing and no jammer) I should simply try to stay away from those Tomcats ?

Don't ever fly in a stright line. keep moving from R to L so they can't get a lock on u. When u get enough turn into em to get a lock. That seams to work for me. Also keep changing your alt.