ATC on Final

dresoccer4

you don't use it ... honestly, i rarely used it. Certainly never at the boat.

super helpful :doh:

I’m pretty sure ATC for approach is WIP

ah ok so it's not working as intended. that helps explain my struggle

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

... seriously, I hardly ever used the auto throttles in any terminal portion of a flight (IRL). And we never used it at the boat. (shrug)

Roger that I understand you now. I thought you were talking about in DCS. This is more me just trying to understand all of the systems and how they function rather than real world procedures at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

... seriously, I hardly ever used the auto throttles in any terminal portion of a flight (IRL). And we never used it at the boat. (shrug)

I used it all the time. When our squadron went to the boat, lots of guys were auto fliers.

ATC is great as a flight lead (holding TAS) or wingman (stationkeeping) and perfect for cross countries.

EDIT: I never used it for landing though unless I just wanted to try it.

^^Speaking of...is there some sort of requirements for the pilots to use/not to use certain..how should I put it, aids?

For example, if a pilot would always use ILS approach even on a perfect weather (instead of visual) to land on the boat, would that be a problem for that pilot, in terms of honing skills i.e. someone/commander noticing this and berating him/her for always doing it the "easy way"?

Same goes for Auto Throttle.

I know it may seem a silly question but always wondered about this. :)

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

^^Speaking of...is there some sort of requirements for the pilots to use/not to use certain..how should I put it, aids?

For example, if a pilot would always use ILS approach even on a perfect weather (instead of visual) to land on the boat, would that be a problem for that pilot, in terms of honing skills i.e. someone/commander noticing this and berating him/her for always doing it the "easy way"?

Same goes for Auto Throttle.

I know it may seem a silly question but always wondered about this. :)

Thanks.

.. i would also regard them as pilot "aids" as they were never intended to actually fly the aircraft for the pilot.

The aids were up to the judgement of the pilot. Some things just did not function well enough as to use them in specific phases of flight, i.e. not using auto throttles in the pattern, hell anywhere other than straight and level ... etc. If your overall piloting performance was ever degraded because of the miss management/utilization of an aid, you would be teased appropriately. Understand, non of those relief functions should be able to exceed the ability of the pilot. If they did, it was the mark of a pilot unable to do "some of that pilot sh!t" and justify their existence .

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

I used it all the time. When our squadron went to the boat, lots of guys were auto fliers.

ATC is great as a flight lead (holding TAS) or wingman (stationkeeping) and perfect for cross countries.

EDIT: I never used it for landing though unless I just wanted to try it.

really ? AT at the boat ? .. things have changed i guess. It broke the cardinal rule of "flying the ball with the nose" and propagated bad habits .

I used it for finding a throttle position for a given speed i wanted. If i was lead i would also use it. Loose cruse as -2, maybe. But anywhere else, just wasn't accurate enough. Might have something to do with that they were marine hornets and things are always a bit shittier if its in the marines arsenal ... beatings shall continue until moral improves

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

really ? AT at the boat ? .. things have changed i guess. It broke the cardinal rule of "flying the ball with the nose" and propagated bad habits .

I used it for finding a throttle position for a given speed i wanted. If i was lead i would also use it. Loose cruse as -2, maybe. But anywhere else, just wasn't accurate enough. Might have something to do with that they were marine hornets and things are always a bit shittier if its in the marines arsenal ... beatings shall continue until moral improves

It would just be an "auto" call with the ball call. I forget the rules, but I think after your initial CQ, you could use it.

It worked great in tactical. "350 in the box" and you could usually match lead and do other things while the automation held heading, airspeed, and altitude.

So how did you use it, set up your trim, put it into auto throttle and just push the flight path indicator around with the stick to touch down at the spot you want?

Trim it up to 8.1, put the "thing on the thing" and adjust as necessary.

The locker room is always the final arbiter of what is acceptable.

Top Gun lore.

I have never, in my entire career flying in both services, hung out in a locker room with other fighter pilots. :lol:

All the trash talk is in the squadron bar or ready room, service dependent.

Things are evolving. Magic carpet is a completely different beast and a game changer.

I think the dynamic of the Marine Hornet squadron change a lot after you left as well. Gonky (from my other videos) thought he might know you because he had crossed paths with a bunch of Marine boat guys during your timeframe. When I was in the Navy (2012-2016) it was becoming increasingly rare for Marine squadrons to go to the boat. Most were doing UDPs. Probably had something to do with traps and extending the life of the jet since the F-35 was delayed and they had no supers.

my thread has turned into an interesting convo. as a lowly SR22 pilot i feel like i'm hanging out with celebrities :worthy:

You haven't truly lived as a flying club pilot until you've been number 2 for takeoff behind a Marine C-130, had your instructor say, "Look behind us," and you were ahead of a section of F-4s.

Or had the following conversation with the tower:

TOWER: Cessna 35U, request you make your approach at 85 knots or better, over.

PILOT: Uhhh, Cessna 35U CANTCO, over.

TOWER: Roger, 35U, break, Tomcat 101, make a left 360 for a Cessna 152 on short final, over.

TOMCAT: (exasperated sigh) Yeah, roger that.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

This was at Glenview Naval Air Station, and as I recall (it was 1986), I did say "CANTCO." In my defense, I was a student pilot on an early solo. My then-limited experience talking on a radio was all Surface Navy, and before I went to RT Talker school. (Training on the job in CIC back then was, "Here's your headset. When you want to talk, there's the foot pedal. Don't choke yourself on the cord." The OS's had better radio training than we FT's ever got.)

Edited by Yoda967

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I was taking a debrief for a "unserviceable" ATC in APC mode from a pilot once when the XO of the SQN overheard the conversation, the pilot got a dressing down and was at one point compared to a bus driver.

So I would take a guess that it is looked down upon.

:lol:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

everytime I read ATC I assume air traffic control, not auto throttle lol. confuses my brain

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas