Real F/A-18 Pilot Tries DCS: F/A-18 - Part TWO

NineLine

The handling (and seats!) of the Cessna 172 are fine, but the amount of force you had to apply to the yoke was the highest I've experienced in any aircraft lol. It might have been because I had to have my non-dominant hand on the yoke and right hand on the throttle, but I've flown other aircraft with the same basic setup and it was much easier. I was not an out of shape person when I flew it either. I really didn't care for the instrument layout, in comparison to other general aviation aircraft I've flown.

Additionally, control surface throws are supplemented in high performance aircraft, such as with aileron spades in aerobatic aircraft and of course extremely fast response hydrualic actuators on jets. Plus relaxed static stability by design, literally breathing on the stick makes the aircraft react instantly.

30 minutes of flying on an Extra 300L was stressful as heck, the aircraft demanded complete attention at all times, and anticipation and instant reaction time. It would be an order of magnitude more intense in a fighter.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thrust is thrust and using thrust in a departure only exacerbates the problem. You can't power out of a spin. The engines are too close together and on the centerline to produce the kind of yaw moment you'd need to stop the rotation of a fully depaerted aircraft. You just make the spin worse.

This.

Throttle to idle is standard spin recovery in ALL aircraft. A stalling, spinning aircraft expelling thrust is akin to a balloon with the mouth freed...it'll only serve to throw the aircraft around all over the place. Better to allow the vehicle to settle into its lowest axial energy state (i.e. a straight dive), regain optimum alpha and airspeed, and recover from there.

Some of you might know what this means. Working on it as I post this. I have two more days to turn it out.

cool! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control